OBD 2 scanner experiences? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:45 AM

The Mazda 3 battery is a full sized one with lots of reserve. Not so the Niro which is designed for accessory use only, not cranking the engine. You could buy a larger battery (hopefully those are compatible with the battery charging systems when low) but making it fit the same space could present a problem.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Mal

Interesting point both ways. My bet is a $23 lawn mower battery would be a suitable substitute. Maybe even something smaller. Until the warranty is over, it's purely academic.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have the Veepeak scanner now plugged in for over 5 days, no battery draining problems noticed. I guess if you buy a real product using BT Low Energy and not some cheap clone you should not have to worry about killing your battery, even if it is a low capacity Aux battery.

Just updated Car Scanner, version 1.32.9 is now supporting the Niro EV. Developer was very responsive in adding this profile, the profile for the Niro PHEV was already in there, but not working for the EV. Can’t wait to try it out later today!

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE cars…
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 PM

Mine is a VeePeak from a year ago. It lists a very small vampire drain, but that was enough to open the protective battery relay (on two occasions). I wouldn't be surprised if the EV lead acid battery has a higher capacity than the HEV lithium 12 volt battery. It also recharges from the traction battery when off, where the HEV will not (just opens a relay to prevent further discharge).

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbodifee View Post
I have the Veepeak scanner now plugged in for over 5 days, no battery draining problems noticed. I guess if you buy a real product using BT Low Energy and not some cheap clone you should not have to worry about killing your battery, even if it is a low capacity Aux battery.

Just updated Car Scanner, version 1.32.9 is now supporting the Niro EV. Developer was very responsive in adding this profile, the profile for the Niro PHEV was already in there, but not working for the EV. Can’t wait to try it out later today!
Please confirm which scanner you are referring to. I went to the Veepeak web site, and they list a number of different ones.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:17 PM

Just for info, my original ScanGuage would not connect with the Niro EV. It is about 20 years old but worked OK on my 2013 C-Max Energi. The ScanGuage II is probably compatible and they are still doing upgrades on that model.

This is their website: https://www.scangauge.com/
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnTX View Post
Just for info, my original ScanGuage would not connect with the Niro EV. It is about 20 years old but worked OK on my 2013 C-Max Energi. The ScanGuage II is probably compatible and they are still doing upgrades on that model.

This is their website: https://www.scangauge.com/
I have a Scan Gauge II that I bought in 2012(I still have the original Scan Gauge that I bought in 2003). It works on my HEV but does not show any of the hybrid details. Only info for the ICE is shown. (btw, ICE stands for Internal Combustion Engine)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:32 PM

I have a $20 Autel maxi code scanner just used it today accidentally forgot to close the hybrid fuse under the rear seat and got the check hybrid system code and got a check engine light got out my scanner and cleared the code and all ok again. Was trying to kill all power in the car for clock reset but that didn't do it but I found another way.

Ive used it on many cars to clear codes.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Please confirm which scanner you are referring to. I went to the Veepeak web site, and they list a number of different ones.
https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-OBDChe.../dp/B073XKQQQW

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE cars…

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page