OBD 2 scanner experiences? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

OBD 2 scanner experiences?

Hi just got myself a Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth scanner and installed the Car Scanner app for the iPhone.
Unfortunately I canít get a reliable reading yet, but the developer is working on it.
Eager to find out what interesting data I get out of the BMS. Does anyone had any success with reading the ECU using an ODB 2 scanner? What was your setup?

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2017 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE carsÖ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:32 AM

One thing to watch is battery drain if you leave it plugged in! I tried two Bluetooth obdii readers and my Niro's battery would frequently die requiring a jump. I thought it was a bad battery or my dashcam but obdii reader was the culprit. Switched to the Scantool OBDLink LX Bluetooth (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which turns into a standby mode when not in use and problem went away.

I use Torque for Android to read the sensor data. You can import extended pids for the Niro from https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs and get some info about battery charge rate and temps among other things.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've been wondering if anyone had developed a scanner that could offer data like what is available for the Leaf and some other EVs. I have a spare Android phone lying around with a bad battery. Maybe I'll give Torque a try.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Both times my car battery had to be reset, it was due to an OBD Bluetooth device. OBD data is read via PIDs of which there are hundreds perhaps. All devices are capable of reading all of them but dependent on the app to interpret them. Some apps need less setup than others, and some will not provide a custom setup. You can google a list of relevant PIDs and choose what to display with a good app. Torque is one of the best but Android only.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:40 PM

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
Sorry, no comprendo PID, please define. Thanks.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Sorry, no comprendo PID, please define. Thanks.
Me either! But when you search for appropriate ones for the things you want to monitor, like the motor, those pages will probably have a definition. Kind of like asking what an ATM is - I'd bet a lot of people won't know what the acronym stands for, but they know what it does.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I just had to look it up. I too knew what they were but didn't know what the acronym meant. It stands for Parameter ID, and is simply the system's address identification on where a particular piece of information can be located within the car's computer system.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinypocket View Post
One thing to watch is battery drain if you leave it plugged in! I tried two Bluetooth obdii readers and my Niro's battery would frequently die requiring a jump. I thought it was a bad battery or my dashcam but obdii reader was the culprit.

The aux battery in the EV can be recharged by the big high voltage battery used for driving. I am assuming your BT OBD2 reader didn’t drain the big battery?
The Veepeak I got uses BT 4.0 which supposedly uses a lot less power then older BT versions or even worse Wifi. I have mine now plugged in all the time and haven’t noticed any problems. Time will tell.

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2017 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE carsÖ
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 PM

I gave up on phone based OBD readers. Always have to have your phone paired to the reader, it's just not an automatic thing. I use the Ultragauge OBD reader, it has its own display, but it doesn't have any PIDs installed on it that show "hybrid" functions.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbodifee View Post
The aux battery in the EV can be recharged by the big high voltage battery used for driving. I am assuming your BT OBD2 reader didnít drain the big battery?
The Veepeak I got uses BT 4.0 which supposedly uses a lot less power then older BT versions or even worse Wifi. I have mine now plugged in all the time and havenít noticed any problems. Time will tell.
Yeah the small 12v battery not the big one. It drained it when the car was off requiring me to jump the battery in the trunk to get the car to start. Happened randomly sometimes once a week. I used the same OBD2 reader I was using without any drain problems in my Mazda 3 for years which initially made me dismiss the reader as the problem. I'm guessing in the kia it prevented the car from going to ísleep' so other circuits in the car would suck power...not sure if the reader itself could drain the battery overnight.