3Likes
  • 1 Post By drewesque
  • 1 Post By FlNiro
  • 1 Post By Rdub

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
Light Gray Leather interior vs Dark Charcoal

Being utilitarian I prefer the Dark Charcoal leather interior. My artistic leaning wife is favoring the Light Gray Leather with blue stitching interior. We have alway had the Charcoal to black & have not experience with the gray leather. Any folks here have that & if so have you found it easy or challenging to keep it looking relatively clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:30 AM

Garage
I have had both, and I prefer the light. It absorbs less heat, is still fairly easy to keep looking clean, and, in leather, you can generally wipe things clean without stains, so the idea of the dark hiding stains is less of a factor. In cloth, dark has a bit more utility on that front.
Also, passengers have noticed and had positive reactions to the blue trim.
Lee Williams likes this.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
I do like the blue stitching that comes with the light gray leather, but I wasn't sure I wanted the rest of the dash to be light gray as well. Honestly, I would have bought my PHEV Niro regardless of interior color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Being utilitarian I prefer the Dark Charcoal leather interior. My artistic leaning wife is favoring the Light Gray Leather with blue stitching interior. We have alway had the Charcoal to black & have not experience with the gray leather. Any folks here have that & if so have you found it easy or challenging to keep it looking relatively clean?
You better do what your wife says...If you know what's good for you LOL.
atc98092 likes this.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:26 PM

One thing we didn't consider in choosing the light grey for our Niro PHEV was reflections off the dash in overhead sunlight. It's pretty distracting, although polarized sunglasses do reduce it considerably. Not sure if Kia addressed this in the 2020 models by putting a dark color on the upper dash.
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 White PHEV Premium
2016 White Soul EV
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
One thing we didn't consider in choosing the light grey for our Niro PHEV was reflections off the dash in overhead sunlight. It's pretty distracting, although polarized sunglasses do reduce it considerably. Not sure if Kia addressed this in the 2020 models by putting a dark color on the upper dash.
I get more glare from the glossy black around the shifter and screen than I do anywhere else. But I do wear polarized sunglasses, so I am going to have to take them off at some point and see if I have just been unaware.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:51 AM

When I first bought my 2019 PHEV Niro, in February 2019, I was much happier with the light color because the summers are hot enough that any dark color was what I was trying to avoid. However, I found almost immediately if you wear newer blue jeans even if they have been washed the color stained the light grey leather and cloth from perspiration. I was naturally disappointed, but I just got a inexpensive seat cover for the driver side only from Walmart that stopped that problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:46 PM

We got the lighter gray -- also paid for the treatment package to protect the leather. We've had it a bit over a year and a half and haven't noticed any discoloration or issues.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:10 PM
AHM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Von Hagel View Post
We got the lighter gray -- also paid for the treatment package to protect the leather. We've had it a bit over a year and a half and haven't noticed any discoloration or issues.
Was the treatment package that you got through Kia? If so how long did it take?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Was the treatment package that you got through Kia? If so how long did it take?

Yes -- we bought it when we bought the car -- it was a package that included treatment on the seats as well as paint protection on the exterior. We tend to keep our cars a long time -- the one we had before was 15 years old and still going strong -- so it seemed a good idea. They did it as we finished up the paperwork at the dealership. I'm not sure, off hand, what the extra cost was but we felt it was worth it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page