Kia Niro Forum

Kia Niro Forum (https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension (https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/)
-   -   Tire and RIM weight (https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/7199-tire-rim-weight.html)

dsh72 10-16-2018 10:40 AM

Tire and RIM weight

Anyone know what the weights are for the rims and tires for the various trim level? I do like the 18" but may switch to smaller diameter to reap the mpg and I really like blacked out rims.

yticolev 10-16-2018 12:01 PM

The stock 16" wheels are blacked out aluminum (under the hub caps) that some choose to run that way because they like how they look. I doubt you could ever achieve a weight difference that could have a performance effect you could actually notice. You don't take your Niro to the track do you? What you will notice from wheel/tire combination changes will be handling, noise, and comfort. There are a lot of combinations! But you can start by test driving a Niro equipped with the stock 16s and see how you like them.

Griswald 10-16-2018 03:04 PM

The 18"ers cost almost 20% in MPG's. Hardly something you would not notice. The larger diameter, width and weight all contribute to the loss.

I'd love to find 18" carbon fiber wheels to offset some of that loss, but the Mega millions is not mine yet! Most I've ever won is a free ticket.

yticolev 10-16-2018 07:25 PM

My response about not being able to notice a performance difference was only about a weight difference, not diameter. The OP already made clear that he knows 18" have a mpg hit.

badyellowvette 10-16-2018 07:31 PM

My 16 inch aluminum black rims weighed 19 lb. The chrome aluminum rims I put on also weighed 19 lb.

Griswald 10-16-2018 08:48 PM

WK Squared

Live it...

nogastoday 10-25-2018 07:29 PM

I wonder if the Stock !6 wheel covers ( plastic hub caps ) are for appearance only or for aerodynamics at freeway speeds?
The stock 16 black ones are alloy for light weight. Kia could have made them "look" better very easily? and ditched the wheel covers? Or did they want to market the higher priced models with alloy wheels? $$$$

yticolev 10-26-2018 04:31 PM

Look at other hybrids hub caps, amazingly similar. Yes, aero benefit.

Roy 10-27-2018 07:37 AM

Feel like I might have a clue why the 18 wheel option loses so much mpg. It has a 1 larger o.d. tire and I tested that for a few days last week on my Niro. I would say the results were about the same and now I want to try a size smaller o.d.to check that effect.

yticolev 10-27-2018 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I assume Kia calibrates the odometer for the stock size wheel for the particular trim. So if you change to a different tire size, that could affect the apparent mpg as you cannot recalibrate the speedo. However, the size difference is far smaller than you suggest if you are using the stock tire sizes. Since you are using diameter, it is 3/10 of an inch larger for the 18" tire. I doubt you could tell the impact on mpg.

In a bit of turnaround, actual mpg should increase a little with the larger tire as the final drive ratio is a bit taller. You can see that in the revs per mile figure in the attached comparison. But the drop in rolling resistance overwhelms that small advantage.