Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

What do you do with your charging cord

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Newfoundland 
#1 ·
I do all my charging in my garage at home, but feel like I am supposed to put the charging cord back in the case each time after use and put it back in my car. I just got the car and wonder how long before I just start leaving it in my garage. What do you do with your cord? Should I continue putting it back in the case and back in my car each day?

#2 ·
I leave my cable in the garage, but have considered getting a second to keep in the car. If I travel, I throw the cord in the car again, but I otherwise like to just pull into the garage and plug in. I also have a charging station available at work.

#4 ·
It's alway's in his case in the trunk of the car.! I only used it once.. have a level 2 at home..

#7 ·
Same here. I used the L1 cord for the first week or so while waiting for my L2 to arrive. Since then the L1 has remained in its case in the trunk. But while I was using it, it stayed in the garage. There was nowhere I would need to use it away from home.

#9 ·
Plug it into an outlet close to your car. Then install a bike hook/hanger near by at a convenient height and wrap it around to keep the cord and plug from from getting underfoot.

#10 ·
I want to get a second 110v aka trickle or Level 1 "portable" cord for my 2019 PHEV Niro, KIA says it will cost $1100 - $1500 for a new one. On Amazon they sell them for $160 - $200. wtf? Did anyone buy a replacement "portable" aka 110v cord? If so, where did you get it and which one did you get?

#11 ·
That price is outrageous for a Level 1 EVSE. I paid under $200 for the L2 (16 amp) EVSE I got from Amazon. If you only want the L1 EVSE, I personally wouldn't have any issue with any of what's offered on Amazon.

#13 ·
#14 ·
I rarely use the level one cord that came with the car and so I leave it next to the donut tire under the back floorboard. That way if I go somewhere far away overnight to a friends house and want to charge, I can plug it in and it’s always with me. At home there’s a level two charger in the garage that is used most exclusively. I heard other people got quotes about buying a second level one charger from the dealer for very high cost. Better to just get the level two, but if you need a level one, buy generic online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.