Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Niro HEV with 13000 kms was completely dead in my garage two mornings in the last 2 weeks and I had to have it boosted by roadside assistance. Each time I had driven the car the previous day with no issues. Car has passed all diagnostic tests and dealer is telling me I left something on in the car which has drained the battery. What could that be? How is that possible with a Niro?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Make sure your rear hatch is fully closed. That is one thing that happens- the light on will drain the battery. Also, I thought the HEV had a feature where you can "replenish" the 12v battery from the traction battery to start the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure your rear hatch is fully closed. That is one thing that happens- the light on will drain the battery. Also, I thought the HEV had a feature where you can "replenish" the 12v battery from the traction battery to start the car?
Thank you. The hatch could be the problem as I had opened it the night before the battery drained each time, but I didn't notice any warning lights on the dash. And yes, apparently the HEV does have a battery reset which I will try if this happens again. Interesting that the service at the dealership has never mentioned this. I found it in the manual.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you. The hatch could be the problem as I had opened it the night before the battery drained each time, but I didn't notice any warning lights on the dash. And yes, apparently the HEV does have a battery reset which I will try if this happens again. Interesting that the service at the dealership has never mentioned this. I found it in the manual.
Amazing how little dealerships know.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Will this work even if I have to open the drivers door manually with the key as there's not enough power for the key fob to open it?
Yes it should, read your manual good for the instructions on the battery reset. Something makes me think you have to hold the button for a few seconds but I might be wrong. It's been awhile since I've read about it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yes it should, read your manual good for the instructions on the battery reset. Something makes me think you have to hold the button for a few seconds but I might be wrong. It's been awhile since I've read about it.
What you might be remembering is a limited time to start the car after hitting that reset button. The manual suggests leaving the car on for 30 minutes immediately (driving it is optional) to allow the 12 volt battery to recharge.

It is interesting to know what that "reset" button does. When the car detects that the 12 volt battery is losing charge (perhaps by monitoring out of range 12 volt current while off), it opens a relay to disconnect the 12 volt battery. The only thing the battery supplies power to at this point is that dash button. Pressing the button closes the relay restoring power to all the car systems, allowing it to start normally.

This would not work with a standard lead acid battery as it drops voltage when there is a drain. In comparison, the lithium 12 volt battery in the HEV maintains 12 volts even as charge drops.

Anyway, two incidents in a row means you want to track down the source of voltage drain. Some cars from 2020 suffered from water getting in the door latches and causing a vampire drain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: rear hatch & light. One of my beefs with the Niro is it lacks a shutoff for the "liftgate room lamp". To turn it off, when liftgate is open I have to close the latch w/screwdriver. Then I need to remember to reopen the latch before closing the hatch. I asked earlier if anyone had succeeded in prying out the light, which I'd like to do to add a small switch. But no answer. (I think I have an led light.)

Note the PHEV does not have a 12v battery replenish switch. Apparently it recharges automatically from the traction battery via a DC/DC transformer. A couple times I've seen the middle green light under the windshield flashing. I think that was indicating recharge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i removed the rear light, pretty easy to do, but i just pulled the bulb.
I suspect you have an incandescent light while I'm pretty sure mine is an led. The manual warns about trying to replace the led lamp. I'd like to remove the whole fixture to add a small switch via a hole in the trunk liner next to the light. I pried at the light as hard as I dared a couple times w/2 screwdrivers at the locations indicated in the photo below.

My previous car, a 2013 Subaru Impreza, had a switch on the trunk light. I kept the light off except when I wanted it on. On the Niro, the only switch I've found is built into the latch and I haven't found a way to get at the wire that powers the light to add a switch.
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
123 Posts
you’re right, mine is an incandescent. and i also have a 2015 subaru with a switch; absolutely a better design. do you ever have kia service your car? they could probably pop it out for you if there’s a “trick” to it without breaking anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
do you ever have kia service your car? they could probably pop it out for you if there’s a “trick” to it without breaking anything.
Good idea. Haven't had service yet since I bought it on Mar. 1. It's due for oil & tire rotation in Feb.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Note the PHEV does not have a 12v battery replenish switch. Apparently it recharges automatically from the traction battery via a DC/DC transformer.
The HEV "reset" button does not replenish the battery, it merely reconnects the battery to the system after it was disconnected because a discharge was detected. DC/DC is how both the PHEV and HEV (and EV) charges the 12 volt battery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I suspect you have an incandescent light while I'm pretty sure mine is an led. The manual warns about trying to replace the led lamp. I'd like to remove the whole fixture to add a small switch via a hole in the trunk liner next to the light. I pried at the light as hard as I dared a couple times w/2 screwdrivers at the locations indicated in the photo below.

My previous car, a 2013 Subaru Impreza, had a switch on the trunk light. I kept the light off except when I wanted it on. On the Niro, the only switch I've found is built into the latch and I haven't found a way to get at the wire that powers the light to add a switch.
View attachment 7789
I have inserted a small switch into the light housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have inserted a small switch into the light housing.
Is that an led light? I think I see a pry spot @ right like mine but not @ top right. How did you gain access? Did you pry the light out? I notice the upper L edge of the housing is broken off. Was that from prying it off?

I was planning on mounting a switch in the black trunk liner next to the light. I also tried to gain access to the wires in other spots on the inside of the hatch and trunk liner but could not find a suitable spot. I did not want to cut an access hole, which would be ugly.

Have you any tips?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is that an led light? I think I see a pry spot @ right like mine but not @ top right. How did you gain access? Did you pry the light out? I notice the upper L edge of the housing is broken off. Was that from prying it off?

I was planning on mounting a switch in the black trunk liner next to the light. I also tried to gain access to the wires in other spots on the inside of the hatch and trunk liner but could not find a suitable spot. I did not want to cut an access hole, which would be ugly.

Have you any tips?
The light is an incandescent bulb on 2017 HEV, the light housing can be removed with a small screwdriver (the edge of the housing was broken off by a bicycle in the trunk). The light has a wire connector and can be removed easily from the vehicle.
I cut a hole for the switch in the light lens and soldered the switch wires to both sides of the inside metal lead that that has been cut across. The modified light fits in the original opening and if you mess up it can be replaced with a new one.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
196 Posts
The light is an incandescent bulb on 2017 HEV, the light housing can be removed with a small screwdriver (the edge of the housing was broken off by a bicycle in the trunk). The light has a wire connector and can be removed easily from the vehicle.
I cut a hole for the switch in the light lens and soldered the switch wires to both sides of the inside metal lead that that has been cut across. The modified light fits in the original opening and if you mess up it can be replaced with a new one.
With the trunk light switch in the off position, do you still get the indication on the dashboard that the rear hatch is not closed? If not, could there still be a small "parasitic" drain when the hatch is not completely closed--granted it would be a lot less than if the switch was "on".

·
Registered
50 Posts
With the trunk light switch in the off position, do you still get the indication on the dashboard that the rear hatch is not closed? If not, could there still be a small "parasitic" drain when the hatch is not completely closed--granted it would be a lot less than if the switch was "on".
Yes, there is warning on the instrument panel that the rear door is open, with the switch in "off" or "on" position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts