Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install some equipment that would traditionally hook up on to the 12v battery that don't exist in our cars. (ham radio gear)

Where do I get a 12V source that's equivalent to that?

I've got the 2020 LX (I think it's an LXS)

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
Welcome! Since I wasn't going to attempt installing an HF antenna on my car, I only use a 2/440 handheld, which doesn't need vehicle power. Depending on the current draw of your rig, you might just tap off the fuse block. Of course, you wouldn't want to do that for anything that draws over 5 amps or so. Since I have the PHEV, I have an actual 12v battery in the rear of the car. For yours, I believe there might be a 12v tap under the rear seat. There should also be a jump start connector somewhere under the hood, but again it's not something I've gone looking for.

·
Registered
253 Posts
For the HEV you have a positive connection under the rear seat on the drivers side. There is a fuse box under the seat, and you can see a connection prior to that fuse box there.

On the HEV model there is also a jump start connection under the hood.

I don’t have any experience with any other models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I understand your question correctly, you could just tap into the 12V battery in the rear RH side of the luggage area and put in an inline fused circuit to some connector. I think the Niro would see the draw on the battery and just recharge it as necessary, as it does when the 12V battery is used for AUX use or starting the car. The 12V battery is really tiny, perhaps 20Ah or less, so it's not as if you could run a load of any significance on it for very long.

I am confused about how the hybrid battery is used to keep the starting battery charged over long periods of time, but I believe that the hybrid->12V battery charger would keep you from running your 12V battery down excessively.

You're on relatively uncharted waters, but I bet the forum members can help you.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
Chuck, he has the HEV version. There is no separate 12v battery in the car. 12v comes from a separate section of the traction battery under the rear seat.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I am confused about how the hybrid battery is used to keep the starting battery charged over long periods of time, but I believe that the hybrid->12V battery charger would keep you from running your 12V battery down excessively.
There is a DC/DC converter that uses the traction battery to charge the 12 volt battery. Your references to the starting battery is a bit unusual. The 12 volt system does in fact run all car systems, which is required to turn the car "on". But if you are referring to the engine, it is actually the traction battery that turns the engine over to fire it up via a belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts