Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'd like to start apologizing for the lack of car-knowledge on this post, so bear with me.

I just got my fresh new Niro Hybrid (DynamicPlus Line, here in the Netherlands).

When I was ordering it, I've asked for the aero-dynamic wheels, 16". By mistake, it came with the 18" sport wheels. The guy at the dealer said "Have a go on the weekend and call me next week, I'll replace for you if you want".

Now I'm not gonna lie: **** those are some nice wheels. But I concern about fuel efficiency and overall use of it. It's a family car with a 70-30 ratio of just me (during week) and 5 of us (during weekends).

Any thoughts?

Thanks all, great information here in this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer. This article is about tires only. How about the rims? Because they're lot different:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
Yes, the 18s are really nice looking wheels. With the 16s, you are actually looking at a wheel cover, although there is an alloy wheel beneath it. The cover is supposed to be a touch more aerodynamic.

You'd likely see a bit better MPG with the 16s, although the wheel itself probably isn't the major factor there. With the 18s, you have a lower sidewall, and very possibly a slightly wider tire. With the lower sidewall you get a stiffer tire, which is good for handling, at the expense of a harsher ride.

·
Registered
410 Posts
In my experience driving of test driving a Niro with stock 16" and stock 18" the was a dramatic increase of both the harshness and noise with the 18s. Plus a 2-3 mpg fuel economy penalty. Those things may not matter to you, but I would not buy a Niro with 18" wheels. Ask you dealer for a short test drive of a car both wheels to help you decide.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Yes, for family purposes, the 16" wheels are far superior. A lot better efficiency (6-8%), better comfort, less road noise, better longevity, and lower replacement cost. Yes, the 16" wheel covers also add to the efficiency.

Benefits of the larger size: better handling and shorter stopping distances (from wider tires). The real reason it is chosen is some find it looks better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just an FYI the ugly wheel covers do nothing MPG's. I replace my stock 16" wheels and hubcaps with chrome aluminum custom wheels in the same size has stock and they weigh the same 19 lb of the stock wheel. Didn't affect my MPG at all. In the summer I'm still getting 58 to 61 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You may enjoy reading this article by a Car Magazine in the states investigating your question

Hey everyone, I'd like to start apologizing for the lack of car-knowledge on this post, so bear with me.

I just got my fresh new Niro Hybrid (DynamicPlus Line, here in the Netherlands).

When I was ordering it, I've asked for the aero-dynamic wheels, 16". By mistake, it came with the 18" sport wheels. The guy at the dealer said "Have a go on the weekend and call me next week, I'll replace for you if you want".

Now I'm not gonna lie: **** those are some nice wheels. But I concern about fuel efficiency and overall use of it. It's a family car with a 70-30 ratio of just me (during week) and 5 of us (during weekends).

Any thoughts?

We bought a top of the line niro touring last year this spring I swapped the 18 inch wheels and tires for 16 inch wheels and tires, no wheel covers , alloy rims. The car rides noticeably smoother handling not quite as sharp but still fine. Our gas mileage has improved quite a lot. I wouldn't go back to what in my opinion are needlessly oversized wheels again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
FYI, I'm also a sucker for nice wheels & bought some lightweight, 16" aftermarket wheels. I was able to sell my OEM 16" wheels & caps for about half the price of the new wheels. I got better tires as well, but stuck with the same size for mpg & comfort reasons. As you can see from my Fuelly info, my fuel economy ain't too shabby. :cool:

Reactions: Jackfish

·
Registered
Kia Niro Hybrid MY20
6 Posts
I prefer 16". Less noise, better mileage, smoother ride, lower costs. Niro is not a sportscar.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just couldn't see spending close to $30k for a car with cheap, Walmart looking plastic hubcaps.

Why couldn't Kia find a nice looking 16" wheel???? I know they exist.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
$30K? I paid $24K out the door for my LX with tech package. But sure, if you want an economy car that looks less generic, I guess you have to spend more and downgrade the economy part. Wheel covers are removable, and many like how the aluminum wheel looks after covers are gone. Not that it matters much to me, but I don't find the wheel covers look bad at all. For ugly, I do draw the line at the Gen4 Prius, although I like their wheel covers too.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any thoughts?

I will keep it sport since they are more attractive and will give a car nicer look, but will decrease the fuel efficiency a very little, if that is not a problem in your case you should be ok with sport wheels

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro LX
6 Posts
Just an FYI the ugly wheel covers do nothing MPG's. I replace my stock 16" wheels and hubcaps with chrome aluminum custom wheels in the same size has stock and they weigh the same 19 lb of the stock wheel. Didn't affect my MPG at all. In the summer I'm still getting 58 to 61 miles per gallon. View attachment 6595
More info on those wheels. Brand, price, where did you get them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Because the side wall of the tires is smaller, the ride may be rougher, not as smooth. Some decrease in MPG, depending on how you drive. But if you like them, they look good, keep them!

·
Registered
377 Posts
More info on those wheels. Brand, price, where did you get them.
Here is a link to the wheel.https://www.jegs.com/i/Ultra-Wheel/605/436-6718C%252B40/10002/-1 I can't remember where I got them but I didn't pay that price. Do a search you will find better, I'm thinking I paid around $125.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 18 disks with tires 225/45/18 at the factory. Advantages of these wheels, the car holds the road very well, enters corners very well, the control is simply gorgeous. I bought 16 original wheels without hubcaps for driving on snow. 16 discs have rubber 205 \ 60 \ 16. Advantages of 16 rubber, that the car rides softer, shakes a little in corners, swallows bumps better. Gasoline consumption + \ - is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any thoughts?

Im wondering how the 2020 phev wheels would look without the plastic. And how much it would hurt mileage..

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Im wondering how the 2020 phev wheels would look without the plastic. And how much it would hurt mileage..
3.4% better with wheel covers according to this definitive test on a Tesla. However, the comparative Tesla wheels are probably less aerodynamic that the PHEV wheels by their looks alone. But count on 3% as a good round number.

Will you be able to tell a 3% drop in mileage? Probably not, especially when you mix in EV. Over 50,000 miles, yes! But you are not going to AB two 50,000 mile tests so you will just have to trust the tested numbers.

However, you have a small picture question. In the big picture, a 3% gain over our entire vehicle fleet is truly a huge savings on CO2 emissions and I'd highly recommend it to do your part. Yes, you have already made a substantial contribution by buying an EV, but why reduce it?

You have alloy spoke wheels painted black under the wheel covers. Some owners prefer the look versus covers (I think the covers look cool myself). Others buff the paint off preferring bare aluminum. I'd assume still others paint the wheels a different color, but nobody seems to have bragged about it online or posted pictures.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts