Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
You have 2 opinions on wheel cover removal...
One member changed his wheels and has no wheel covers and reports ZERO drop in mileage
Another states a study that will drop your mileage by 3% (which at 51 would drop to 48 and be noticeable)

Choose wisely!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Another states a study that will drop your mileage by 3% (which at 51 would drop to 48 and be noticeable)
That would be 6%, not 3%. Yes, 1.5 mpg would be noticeable, but only by someone who really pays attention to how they fill the tank, and what the expected historical mpg is for that tank's driving conditions. For the same reason, it is very unlikely that the person who reported zero change was a critical reviewer. The facts are clear on an objective test such as the one I linked from Car and Driver.

My reply was to a PHEV owner, and unless their commute and charging practices are consistent, 1.5 mpg drop would really be hard to detect on top of the other issues with detecting small changes in efficiency.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My car came with the 18 inch wheel I liked them a lot but To my old eyes they looked larger than necessary I put on 16 inch Costco Alloys with Yokohama tires meant for energy saving. I would hopefully never go back to big low profile tires. The difference is obvious from the start . Much nicer ride, noticeably better gas mileage. To long time forum members I'm sorry that I told this story again . It's three am I had better crash.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts