Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner is vacillating between the Kona and Niro EV's. It will be the supplement/daily driver to her X1. Please don't take subjective taste personally, but she prefers the aesthetics and dynamic nimbleness of the Kona (save for the horrible tires), yet the Niro offers certain advantages:

Retractable cargo cover
Rear vents
Better cargo capacity (tall items)
Seat memory.

I feel, if the Niro looked more "dynamic," it would sway her. What do you owners think of the following treatment?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The stormtrooper contrast is a bit high, and it's clear from the lack of C Pillar break or rear-rough cut/accent a la Kona, that the car wasn't intended as 2-tone, but I think it's almost there.

We're both in our early 40's, and she's not an enthusiast, so we'd choose a demure color combo. But I thought I'd ask actual owners their impressions.

Thanks for the time.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Depending on your needs, you might find the Kona a bit on the small side. Almost every review I've seen has commented on the smaller space in the rear seats, and how much more room the Niro had.

I came from an Outback, which was huge in comparison to the Niro. But It's still been more than sufficient for shopping trips or carry stuff. But I'm not certain we'd have been happy with the Kona. But also remember the Kona has a bit more range than the Niro, mostly again because it's smaller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dan!

we’ve driven both cars. You’re right,with her 8 yr old son, the Kona would be too small. However, she has a BMW X1 already; this will be her second (primary) daily driver, with the other car relegated to Tahoe, really long range trips, or hauling duties.

We still like the Niro for the memory seats, roller cargo cover, and upcoming interior improvements, and that it comes with reasonable tires from the get go. That being said, the Kona is quite sprightly you drive; one can feel it’s eagerness, despite the crap rubber.

Her decision; my role is to sift through options, present to her, then pay 😂

how do you like the 2 tone? Truthful opinion is welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope forum members don’t mind me cribbing a few photos for renderings.
Any opinions welcome, whether they think the contrast roofs look okay or horrifying. As I haven’t seen many around here, it’s hard gauging what suits the car.

The darkened alloys are because I’ll likely also replace those with something interesting and lightweight.

Thanks for the indulgences, everyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, on the accent trim. I'd like thinking the contrasting roof is akin to a 55-57 Shoebox Chevy, for the Electric Generation.😁

·
Super Moderator
532 Posts
well... Black wrapping on White ?... could pass.. but not the black top on gravity blue.! 🙄

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sigh... If only the EV's received the Cerulean you Hybrids have access to.

Also hoping that interesting Orange on 2020's makes it, but feeling that's unlikely.

·
Super Moderator
532 Posts
Also hoping that interesting Orange on 2020's makes it, but feeling that's unlikely.
As we speak, there are no "orange" color that are released on any Niro 2020 in the world, execpt the kind of "red burn on the orange side" color that is on display at the L.A auto Show!

but, i recall an "orange" demo PHEV at the same Auto Show last year!

In europe, only one new color is available for the PHEV model: Horizon Blue and Ocean Blue (same as the deep Cerulean)

Horizon blue:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The black with brown or white with black both work, but I dunno about that blue one. Maybe a different shade of blue for the top, instead? Also, maybe try the charcoal as a base color, then do black, blue, or some other color top?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
We still like the Niro for the memory seats, roller cargo cover, and upcoming interior improvements, and that it comes with reasonable tires from the get go. That being said, the Kona is quite sprightly you drive; one can feel it’s eagerness, despite the crap rubber.
Both cars have identical drivetrains, however low speed torque (to perhaps 30 mph) is software limited on the Niro. Still plenty of oomph, just a bit more adult oriented. No real reason to chirp or spin the tires like you can easily do on the Kona (cheap tires make it even easier).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts