Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

2000 Mile Cross Country Review

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  BarryP 
#1 ·
Just completed 2000 mile Denver to Minneapolis round trip in one week in my 2020 Niro plug in with 1500 miles on it. Thought forum members would enjoy my observations!.
1. Before leaving Denver Discount Tire put on Blizzak M90 tires which cost $556. Well worth it.
2. Weather was 18 below in Denver when we left. Niro started right up and ran perfectly.
3. We decided to cut through center of Wyoming with temperatures at or below minus 25 and wind blowing at or above 28 mph! It was also snowing!
4. Niro with those new Blizzaks was a tank on the snowy roads NO slipping or slidding at all. Wind gusts as high as 45 mph!.
5. We reached Rapid City, SD. to get to I-90 which was clear and temperature hovered around 15 below! Car was running perfectly. With the low temperature and wind at 39 or above average mpg was at 31. Not bad!
6. On I-90 at 80 mph we were now getting 26 mpg. Still not bad
7. Got into Rochester, Mn about 8pm. Temperature was a balmy 18 below!
8. Niro was parked outside in Rochester and used during the week with no problem. Charged it once for FREE in Rochester and several people asked what we were doing at this free city provided charge facility! People looked at the Niro and said it looked BAD - which meant it looked good!
9. Left Rochester yesterday at 7am in minus 3 weather. Drove straight through on I-80 Nebraska at 80 mph and arrived in Denver at 7pm.
10. Averaged approximately 31 mpg for the whole trip. Car is an absolute BEAST in snow with those tires!. No problems at all with start ups in sub zero weather. IT IS A KEEPER with many peoples commenting on it. I would not be afraid to go anywhere in it.
11. Hope you enjoyed the write up. It will get a well deserved bath at the car wash in Denver today.

See less See more
#6 ·
In my 2017 Kia Niro I have completed several trips across the country, mostly following I-80 and I-70 corridor; “from redwood forest to gulfstream waters” and back under all possible weather conditions ; snow and rain with winds well over 50mph, temperature from below zero F to above 100 and lost one windshield in blowing sand.

I have to agree that on snowy roads, even with the original Michelin tires, Niro drives significantly better than a tank, at least the Soviet designed T-55 I have driven in the past, which was quite difficult to keep on a slippery icy road. I have tried Niro's limits on an empty snow covered parking lot and due to all electronic help it is very difficult to make it skid. Came very handy when at 65 mph a deer tried to commit suicide, but I was able to steer around it.

The mileage depends how fast you drive, I personally do not go over 75 mph, unless it is necessary, temperature and direction plus speed of the wind. My calculated average over 50000 miles is 47 mpg, the lowest around 31 mpg (for the full tank) in the Midwest “flatlands” and strong headwinds. On my latest trip across the continent in fall I have averaged 46 mpg and in warmer summer weather 51 mpg at average speed of 63-65 mph. On local trips at 35-50 mph I routinely get over 60 mpg on rolling county roads.

This is not about Niro, but I will say in anyway.

Few weeks ago I took the 2020 Kia Rio S Hatchback, (1.6 l engine and continuously variable transmission) on the same trip across the continent. The weather was “real winter”, close to half on snow, temperature mostly below freezing (up to -4F) with some rain in the east of the country. While the Rio is little bit smaller than Niro and does not have all bells and whistles, it is also cheaper, the original Continental tires and the engine seems quieter than in the Niro and the control are very easy to use. The mileage for whole trip was 40.1 mpg at average speed of 63 mph! Not bad for a non hybrid vehicle.

#7 ·
I replaced my I replaced a 2001 Rio with a 2008 Rio5 (New) and that with my 2020 Niro. The little engine is great until about 100K then they are...Not so special... I seriously considered was the Niro worth 2 Rios? Without the tax rebates, its a reasonable question. PHEV actually changes the math with the all electric local drives for me. Also the Niro seems to have a much longer shelf life, some are getting 200K+, no Rio is going to do that without a miracle.

But I did seriously well Denver to Boston (and Boston to Denver) in my past 2 Rios, the 01 drove BOS to DEN in 2008 with 132000 miles on it, and averaged around 35mpg. The Rio is a hard car to beat.

#10 ·
It depends on what type gas guzzling car you're driving.... They're great on my 2017 Kia Niro and I take them off come warm weather or when the snow stops when I know there's not going to be any more snow I take them off save them for the next winter.... Also getting 50 miles to the gallon with my kid Niro hybrid is very good it's an excellent tire as far as driving on ice and snow you can't beat it

#11 ·
...People looked at the Niro and said it looked BAD - which meant it looked good!...
OK. I had to crack up on this. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dovidan
#12 ·
No electric vehicle for me first of all I'm not spending a lot of money on a vehicle that I got to worry about charging it up taking a trip with it.... What a waste of money. I want to enjoy my road trip not worrying about where there's a charging station cuz it's not like a gas station charging stations are few and far between

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.