Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a MSG, Key Not Recognized, when I went to start the car. Key was in my pocket.

Then a second MSG, Hold Key Next to Start Button, that worked and car started.

Question, is there a battery (guess has to be) in the Key? And, wonder how to get to the battery?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Its easy to replace the battery.
I do like the fact that you can still start the Niro even if the battery is dead in your remote. Mine died at a gas station last month with no way to get home to get the other remote. That would have sucked...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,385 Posts
I do like the fact that you can still start the Niro even if the battery is dead in your remote. Mine died at a gas station last month with no way to get home to get the other remote. That would have sucked...
I think it's a requirement for a car with push button starting to have an alternate method. All my previous cars (VW, Audi, Subaru) had the same ability.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was My First Thought. Fortunately, car gave the MSG to touch Start Button with the Key. I changed battery, 2032 Lithium, works now. :)
Ended up buying 2 in a pack at WALMART for $4.37 plus tax. Saw online they sold one for $1.74 but store did not have one in a pack, so bought 2 (probably wife's key need one soon).
Got home and found a 2025 in a drawer (also 3 v and same size), probably would have worked as saw one U-Tube using a 2025.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I trust a good old fashioned key more than this electronic stuff.

EX: I don't carry a key normally cause hardly use the car (wife does). Once in car, I realized I did not have my key. We were going together and I forgot to get my Key from where I hide it. OH Well !!! No problem, wife has her key and started car with her key in her purse.

Let her out at the grocery store while I ran an errand to another a couple blocks away. Got to the store, shut car off and came back. NO KEY, remember her key still in her purse a couple block away. GROAN

Walked back, found her, got the key, walked back to get the car.

Be better, I think if car quit when she walked away (or gave a warning -- no key). Course, as they say, "Can't Fix Stupid". LOL

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I think it's a requirement for a car with push button starting to have an alternate method. All my previous cars (VW, Audi, Subaru) had the same ability.
The alternate method here is the physical key to gain access to your car. There is no alternate way to start the Niro.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, one good thing about my event was in replacing the battery, I was reminded about the backup key. I had forgotten about it. Maybe would have remembered if needed (maybe)???

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I think I trust a good old fashioned key more than this electronic stuff.

EX: I don't carry a key normally cause hardly use the car (wife does). Once in car, I realized I did not have my key. We were going together and I forgot to get my Key from where I hide it. OH Well !!! No problem, wife has her key and started car with her key in her purse.

Let her out at the grocery store while I ran an errand to another a couple blocks away. Got to the store, shut car off and came back. NO KEY, remember her key still in her purse a couple block away. GROAN

Walked back, found her, got the key, walked back to get the car.

Be better, I think if car quit when she walked away (or gave a warning -- no key). Course, as they say, "Can't Fix Stupid". LOL
The car does give a warning if the key leaves the interior with the car "running". There's a long beep outside the car, and it's displayed on the dash directly in front of the driver.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
The alternate method here is the physical key to gain access to your car. There is no alternate way to start the Niro.
Yes, there is. You hold the FOB near the start button, and there's apparently a RFID chip inside that will allow starting the engine. There is no way to use a physical key to start a Niro with push button starting. There is no key switch.

With my VW, you held the fob near the steering column where the key switch would have been installed, and then push the start button.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Let me rephrase, there is no alternate way to start the car without the fob. No matter the fob's battery status.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"The car does give a warning if the key leaves the interior with the car "running". There's a long beep outside the car, and it's displayed on the dash directly in front of the driver."

The beep and displayed warning when key left car (if there was one) did not deter me from driving off with the key in my wife's pocket. I was apparently not alert to all those warnings. LOL Actually, it was not funny when I got stuck a couple blocks away with a car that would not start.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
285 Posts
Oure 2019 PHEV Niro Ex does give the warning exactly as described in post 9 when the key leaves the running car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts