Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Is it normal for these cars, at city speeds, to "micro-lurch," like the transmission is intermittently "slipping"? Is this an artifact of automatic switching between fuel and battery drive (it seems like it happens when the car would be having trouble "deciding" which power mode to be in)? I've driven a few different Toyota hybrids and they've always driven smoothly: I've never had cause to think that I was feeling the transmission reacting to switching between power modes. If this is normal for these cars I'll live with it, but if it isn't, I want to take it in before the warranty expires. Thanks!

DLG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok (though there was nothing for me to "remember": I bought the car used, on rather short notice, and in a market in which used hybrids were very scarce, i.e., I got what I could, and didn't do extremely thorough research before acquiring it).

Follow-up: have these been on the road long enough to know how these will fare long term? Put another way: how is one to know when the behavior is no longer normal, but rather a symptom of a problem?

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
There's one user here on the forum that had well over 200,000 miles on a Niro HEV, and he's replaced it with another and again racking up the mileage. From all appearances, properly maintained the car is quite reliable. Naturally, there will be an occasional horror story from an owner, but you can find those for any brand. Just remember people are far more likely to complain than compliment online. :D

Reactions: Techy

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.
You will be able to see if the Niro is in EV or ICE operation by looking at the gauge on the dash.
I have an HEV and I have noticed some very slight shudder (would not call it lurching) as the ICE is almost reaching operating temp. The shudder is even more noticeable if I am driving into a strong headwind. Also more noticeable in the winter time, in my part of the country.
I am not concerned at this time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will be able to see if the Niro is in EV or ICE operation by looking at the gauge on the dash.
I have an HEV and I have noticed some very slight shudder (would not call it lurching) as the ICE is almost reaching operating temp. The shudder is even more noticeable if I am driving into a strong headwind. Also more noticeable in the winter time, in my part of the country.
I am not concerned at this time.
Yeah, thanks, I noticed that "status mode" early and enjoyed watching it for a while--it may have originally contributed to my hypothesis regarding the origin of the "shudder," I don't really remember, as for a while I've been watching my AvMPG status instead; I've also had the hypothesis, as you sort of suggest, that it is temperature related. In any event, I'm concerned that it might be getting worse, in that occasionally it feels like I'm momentarily losing drive power completely. I guess I'll take it in for its 60K mile service early and ask them to drive test it as well as inspect. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question.
You asked about long term issues. I simply provided an anecdote about a user that has had a great long mileage experience. I also provided a caution about forums like this usually tending to list the problems and not have much info on the lack of problems. I had mine for a bit over two years and 22,000 miles, and did nothing but scheduled maintenance. For the PHEV that was three oil changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, sort of: I was asking if it performs "normally" in a way that seems (at least to me) to be malfunctioning, how is one to know, prior to full failure, if it's actúa headed toward failure? In other words, I was asking about a current issue, as it might relate to a future issue.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
It's possible you are merely feeling the DCT when it shifts gears. Dual clutch transmissions aren't quite as smooth as a "regular" automatic transmission (since it's not truly an auto), and of course a CVT has no shifts at all. Although my Outback 3.6R had artificial shifts built into its CVT :D. Some DCTs are actually programmed to shift quite firmly, such as in a Porsche or BMW.

If that's all it is, then yes it's operating normally, and there's nothing to worry about. There have been some reports of the PHEV having some noticeably rough shifts, and there is a TSB for the dealers to change the transmission fluid, as some left the factory with the wrong fluid. But if it's (as you labeled) slipping or lurching, I would have a dealer check it out. At the least see if you can find a similar car on a lot and try driving it to compare.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is completely normal in low speed driving in town, if it bothers you just put it in sport mode, We love our 2017 ex, but you are right it can feel like slipping, just take your foot of the gas pedal for a second , I find that sometimes at a stop sign and don't actually come to a complete stop that happens , but it is normal for this type of transmission

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Is it normal for these cars, at city speeds, to "micro-lurch," like the transmission is intermittently "slipping"? Is this an artifact of automatic switching between fuel and battery drive (it seems like it happens when the car would be having trouble "deciding" which power mode to be in)? I've driven a few different Toyota hybrids and they've always driven smoothly: I've never had cause to think that I was feeling the transmission reacting to switching between power modes. If this is normal for these cars I'll live with it, but if it isn't, I want to take it in before the warranty expires. Thanks!

DLG
Get the Clutch Actuator Fluid changed. This fluid is what helps engage a clutch that changes the drivetrain between electric and the ICE engine. Changing this fluid will help a ton with lurching. The fluid is brake fluid and so absorbs water and moisture very easily over time. It is also a very small reservoir of fluid - so some water contamination makes a big difference in performance of the fluid. The service manual recommends changing every 22500 miles. Unfortunately it is difficult to do yourself as you have to bleed the system of air and reset it with kia diagnostic software.
I have a 2017 Niro as well. Unfortunately the dealers were not trained in this mechanism when the car was first introduced so many didn't know how to do this service and would just say you didn't need to (mine told me that). However, now several newer Kia hybrid models use this clutch actuator and so dealers are generally more aware of how to change the fluid.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is completely normal in low speed driving in town, if it bothers you just put it in sport mode, We love our 2017 ex, but you are right it can feel like slipping, just take your foot of the gas pedal for a second , I find that sometimes at a stop sign and don't actually come to a complete stop that happens , but it is normal for this type of transmission
Get the Clutch Actuator Fluid changed. I have a 2017 Niro. I get the actuator fluid changes whenever it starts to lurch and it always fixes it. Service manual suggests every 22500 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get the Clutch Actuator Fluid changed. This fluid is what helps engage a clutch that changes the drivetrain between electric and the ICE engine. Changing this fluid will help a ton with lurching. The fluid is brake fluid and so absorbs water and moisture very easily over time. It is also a very small reservoir of fluid - so some water contamination makes a big difference in performance of the fluid. The service manual recommends changing every 22500 miles. Unfortunately it is difficult to do yourself as you have to bleed the system of air and reset it with kia diagnostic software.
I have a 2017 Niro as well. Unfortunately the dealers were not trained in this mechanism when the car was first introduced so many didn't know how to do this service and would just say you didn't need to (mine told me that). However, now several newer Kia hybrid models use this clutch actuator and so dealers are generally more aware of how to change the fluid.

Hope that helps
Yep, I live in the wet Pac NW, so this sounds like a "no brainer": thanks for the input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts