Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought my Niro to a local garage, I had suspected a coolant leak and they confirmed that the coolant was low and while they had it they had to top it up a couple times.The weird thing is they can’t find the leak anywhere, there’s no evidence around the reservoir, hoses, on the ground or mixed in the oil. Before I bring it to the dealer I thought I’d ask here if anyone might know where else the coolant might end up? I should also say that the engine hasn’t shown any signs of overheating or even running hot 🤷‍♂️

At first I was worried it might be a head gasket issue, which I guess it still might be but I figured there would be evidence in the oil

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, UVO, EPB, 10"-AVN, Navi
142 Posts
Look here in this thread:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes check the heat exchanger. PLEASE tell us the results! Don't be one of the ones that never reports what the solution was. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just brought my Niro to a local garage, I had suspected a coolant leak and they confirmed that the coolant was low and while they had it they had to top it up a couple times.The weird thing is they can’t find the leak anywhere, there’s no evidence around the reservoir, hoses, on the ground or mixed in the oil. Before I bring it to the dealer I thought I’d ask here if anyone might know where else the coolant might end up? I should also say that the engine hasn’t shown any signs of overheating or even running hot 🤷‍♂️

At first I was worried it might be a head gasket issue, which I guess it still might be but I figured there would be evidence in the oil
Has a similar event after adding coolant to the overflow reservoirs without any evidence where the leakage was. Soon learned that the reservoirs are pressurized and the caps needed some extra muscle in fully closing them tightly. Once done, the leakage disappeared. The coolant was evaporating without a trace under the hood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Niro. I had been having an issue with coolant leaking for several weeks. I couldn't see any evidence of it leaking anywhere inside the engine or under the car. there was occasionally steam from the exhaust, but only after driving a fair distance. It was very cold outside, so, I'm not sure that's really evidence. My first indication was that the heat would stop working. I checked the coolant first as I've had experience with other vehicles concerning low coolant and no heat. It wasn't a fast leak. It would only leak about a cup a day. Also, it would only leak if I'd been driving enough. I tried letting it idle in the driveway for more than an hour on two different days and the coolant level never changed. I had brought it to my regular mechanic and had it flushed and they couldn't find any leaks. I finally brought it to the dealer and they told me it was the exhaust heat exchanger. They said I could drive it while i was waiting for a replacement part which was covered under warranty as long as i kept up the coolant level. It didn't take long to change the part, and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes the heat exchanger seems to becoming a common problem. Haven't heard back from the OP yet to see if that was his problem also?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Niro Touring
2 Posts
My 2017 Niro also had the coolant leak. 2 of the 3 times I took it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything; they even suggested that the previous tech didn't burp the coolant system to get the air out. On the 3rd try, they discovered that the heat exchange was leaking into the catalytic converter. Noted symptoms to check: 1) My coolant reservoir was totally dry. 2) When the gas engine turned on, I could see a billow of smoke/steam from exhaust pipe (seen in my rear-view mirror). 2 of the 3 times, my engine check light did not activate. It did on the 3rd time. Hope you can get them to look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exhaust heat exchange recovery system located in the catalyst converter . They use the cat to heat up to allow the electric motor to turn on 3 % faster in the winter months! Happened on my car had it in the shop multiple time because I was losing coolant somewhere but never to be seen until one day I let my daughter drive then I noticed white smoke out the exhaust still it was not a blown head the shop said so they called Kia and described what was going on they to the shop to test the cat and it failed 😞 I had already just ten days prior replaced the egr cooler because the shop said that has to be where your losing your coolant!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2017 Niro EX and we are having the same coolant leak through this exhaust heat recovery system EHRS. intermittent white smoke out the tailpipe and coolant draining out of the reservoir. Do to all of the similar complaints this sounds like a poor design. The dealer claims this issue isn't covered but it sounds like others have had it covered. Sounds like this could be a class action lawsuit if it is big enough of a problem with inconsistent KIA's corrective action. This could become a costly ongoing repair if it needs to be done every 4 years. We were told this was going to cost $2300.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts