Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally my Niro automatic AC unit works great Its an EX premium but just lately the ac ,after driving a short while doesn't put out enough air to cool car. I over ride auto setting turn fan up to highest and it seems to do nothing just barely alittle air flow. I was thinking it slows down air flow like when making Bluetooth call but removed all phones to no avai Stop the car lety it sit for awhile and works great for short time...…...stumped!!!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
How many miles on the car? What part of the world do you live in (what sort of climate)? If you've put a fair number of miles on the car, or if you live in a dusty environment, have you considered that you might need to replace the cabin air filter? The fact that you're saying "little airflow" does sound like it might be caused by a plugged up air filter kind of problem. Bluetooth is unlikely to have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have the auto turned off and the fan all the way up with the a/c on the lowest temp? Is the air that's coming out cold? Air not cold is probably some type of compressor or freon problem. Air not blowing hard enough could need a new cabin filter or something else is wrong with the blower fan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's possible your condenser may be icing over or clogged with debris. Your cabin air filter if clogged with leaves, pollen etc may be the start of this problem. Cabin air filters are usually bypassed if put in recirculation mode. Have you tried that?
Insufficient airflow thru the condenser, sys overfilled with freon(right amt is good more is not better), setting the temp too low or some other cause of a flooding condenser could ice it over, even completely blocking airflow in some cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK update on my problem...After 3rd trip to dealer same problem after short distance drive AC on automtic 72 degrees setting air stops coming out of dash vents. Turn fan manually on high hear the fan blowing still nothing coming out. Dealer has reinstalled software, changed head unit for controls and checked freon....all to no avail.
None of the controls work, I checked and removed cabin filter to no avail. Funny thing you shut it off wait awhile works fine for short trips Dealler stumped in contact with KIA trying to work it out.....Any Comments????

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK update on my problem...After 3rd trip to dealer same problem after short distance drive AC on automtic 72 degrees setting air stops coming out of dash vents. Turn fan manually on high hear the fan blowing still nothing coming out. Dealer has reinstalled software, changed head unit for controls and checked freon....all to no avail.
None of the controls work, I checked and removed cabin filter to no avail. Funny thing you shut it off wait awhile works fine for short trips Dealler stumped in contact with KIA trying to work it out.....Any Comments????
Sounds like a mechanical problem to me. Something like the squirrel cage is not properly attached to the fan motor shaft and so it starts slipping after a while. Has the dealer actually looked at the blower assembly or have they just looked at the controls? If turning the fan on manually doesn't work then I would think the problem is with the actual working bits, not the controls.

Good luck, this sounds like a gnarly one to troubleshoot. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts