Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Niro Hybrid EX w/ Premium Package
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just got my car yesterday. Is there anyway to have my phone both plugged in for Android Auto and utilize the wireless charging at the same time? Curious to see if that's possible.

Also, how do you guys get around the USB cord being so long? I have a OnePlus 7P and it barely fits in the slot but with the cord, zero change of fitting in there. Probably just going to use a vent phone holder or something but curious if there have been any other ways to get around this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
The phone will charge via USB, so I wouldn't be surprised if wireless charging is disabled on the phone when USB is connected. The car won't care, as it can charge one phone while another is connected via USB.

I actually have a pretty long cord for my iPhone, but mainly because it was one I had available. But if someone in the back seat needs a charge I have a cord long enough to reach them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting thanks. i don't think i'll ever end up using wireless charging but i guess it's nice to have if all phones end up transitioning to that capability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI just got this from Amazon hopefully it helps. shorter cable to for connection to Android Auto

CableCreation Short USB C Cable, 6 inch USB-C Cable (USB C to USB A 2.0) 3A Fast Charge, Compatible with MacBook (Pro), Galaxy S10/S9/S9+, Pixel 2 XL, GoPro Hero 7 6 5, 15cm /0.5ft Black

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Well, it's certainly short! As long as it's a reasonable quality cable, it should work fine. Looks like the overall user rating is respectable as well.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
The problem for most isn't the lenght of the cable, but that the USB-C / Lightning port that plugs into the phone sticks out so much that the lenght of the phone + cable is more than what Kia gave for the phone to sit. The concept of wireless charging is sort of useless unless you are using purely bluetooth. But AA or CP require you to plug in the phone via the usb. I would look for a cable that has right angle connectors.

I have the Pixle2XL so I know no matter what it will never fit. I just lay it on it's side. I have sometimes wondered if I should re-route a better cable to get the phone into the armrest so it's tucked away. But then again knowing me, it's just leave it in the car and then wonder where I lost it.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
If I plug my phone into the car, I have to leave it in my lap or I invariably leave it in the car. I'm just not used to having my phone out of my belt holster, so it works the best for me to leave it draped over my leg so I don't forget it. :D

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
If I plug my phone into the car, I have to leave it in my lap or I invariably leave it in the car. I'm just not used to having my phone out of my belt holster, so it works the best for me to leave it draped over my leg so I don't forget it. :D
You might have to watch out as some cops, especially the ones around where I live see that as distracted driving as even though the phone is plugged in and you have total hands free support as the phone is withing arms reach easily accessible, they consider that distracted. I have heard of people getting the ticket for even having it in the front charging section or laying on the passenger seat away from the driver. It can get pretty crazy what police will try and charge you with.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
You might have to watch out as some cops, especially the ones around where I live see that as distracted driving as even though the phone is plugged in and you have total hands free support as the phone is withing arms reach easily accessible, they consider that distracted. I have heard of people getting the ticket for even having it in the front charging section or laying on the passenger seat away from the driver. It can get pretty crazy what police will try and charge you with.
Yeah, but it's not really visible there. And I can always show them that it's a government issued phone, and it's against federal law for me to use it that way. I'm not going to jeopardize my job by breaking that rule. Sure, I wouldn't actually get fired, and I've been eligible to retire for 15 years. I think I can make a pretty good case I wasn't using it. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts