Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro; LXS; Runaway Red
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now driving the 2020 Niro LXS....my opinion, I liked my 2018 Niro EX better.

Getting newer does not always mean getting better...or at least in my situation, that is so.

I drove the 2018 Niro on a 2.500 trip and averaged 52MPG. I drove the 2020 Niro on the exact trip and averaged only 43MPG. I really felt that the 2020 would at least match the Highway MPG of the 2018...or do better.

A major reason for buying a Hybrid is Gas Mileage...and so to move up 2 Model years and that model does poorer in Gas Mileage is a disappointment.

The AC on the 2018 cooled much better than the 2020...the AC Vents on the 2020 are smaller and produces more air noise....and it seems to me that the Fan speed in the 2020 remains at higher speeds to cool the car. The 2018 at my Comfort Temp setting the AC air temp was Colder and the Fan speed was Lower.

The fact that Kia took all hands free features off the 2020 Niro and placed those features with the use of Android Auto/your Cell phone...to me is a hassle to plug-in and Plug-out your phone every time you get in and out of your car.....

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
The MPG difference could simply be the time of year. Depending on your location, perhaps it hasn't warmed up as much yet. Also, any new car needs some mileage before the engine delivers it's best MPG. Now you have completed your 2500 mile trip, so one would have expected the ICE to be broken in by now. But the environment can play a big factor in MPG. Not only temp, but winds and rain on the road. Also, don't forget to check your tire pressures. That can ding you at freeway speeds as well.

I can't say about the infotainment system. My '19 is likely pretty much the same as your '18 was. But I hadn't heard of any changes in that regard for the '20s. They did just release a software update for the infotainment system this month, so perhaps it might be worth applying.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
131 Posts

Getting newer does not always mean getting better...or at least in my situation, that is so.

I drove the 2018 Niro on a 2.500 trip and averaged 52MPG. I drove the 2020 Niro on the exact trip and averaged only 43MPG. I really felt that the 2020 would at least match the Highway MPG of the 2018...or do better.

A major reason for buying a Hybrid is Gas Mileage...and so to move up 2 Model years and that model does poorer in Gas Mileage is a disappointment.

The AC on the 2018 cooled much better than the 2020...the AC Vents on the 2020 are smaller and produces more air noise....and it seems to me that the Fan speed in the 2020 remains at higher speeds to cool the car. The 2018 at my Comfort Temp setting the AC air temp was Colder and the Fan speed was Lower.

The fact that Kia took all hands free features off the 2020 Niro and placed those features with the use of Android Auto/your Cell phone...to me is a hassle to plug-in and Plug-out your phone every time you get in and out of your car.....
I will only comment on the gas mileage. Were you comparing brand new in both instances and as mentioned by Dan, temperature can be a major factor. Also, where I come from gasoline volatility changes summer vs winter and affects mpg as well.
At least check the next 4 or 5 tankful for mpg and then compare to your 2018.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro; LXS; Runaway Red
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all....the 2018 drive was in the month of July and even tho the AC has little to no impact...since it has it separate Motor, it was used during the entire trip. The 2020 was just this month (April), No AC used and...Windows were closed...temps ranged in mid 60's. Because I knew, or thought I knew, how far I could travel on a full Tank of gas on the 2018....I just about got to the Gas stations we used on the 2018 in July. I feel a 1 or 2 could be Weather related but 9 MPG is a pretty good deviation. The 2018 trip did get us into rain, but the 2020 drive was rain free.

I will contact the dealer on the Info Update.....but like I wrote, shifting all hands free features from the Car to android Auto is a real inconvenience....plus I hate pluging into and out of the Android cell phone plug input which has a History easily going bad...does not motivate me to use that plug frequently.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Yes to temperature. Wind can be a huge factor and it is possible to unfavorable (or favorable) winds prevailing for an entire trip. Does the LXS have 18" wheels? That could be close to half the difference you experienced.

I don't believe new cars require break in. My car has not changed over 43,000 miles. Engine machining is miles better tolerances than in the past. For new hybrid owners, mpg often does improve as they become more efficient drivers. So I wouldn't look for that - good chance it was simply environmental conditions.

You didn't say where the trip was, but I think average temperatures between April and July could be a 20 degree plus differential (you mentioned AC versus no AC for comfort on the two trips), and that makes a huge difference. It could easily be a 10 mpg drop. My best to worst mpg based on temperature alone summer to winter is around a 17 mpg drop.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No one mentioned speed. Speed is a huge factor. Did you take the same leisurely drive both times? Did you gain a few more pounds. He he. Not knocking weight and not being rude. Just trying to be funny. I think we all see our best mileage in warmer climates. I should know. I'm nearing 280,000 miles behind the wheel of a niro. Check you engine clutch actuator fluid. That does suck to see a huge decrease, but hopefully it was a combination of some of the factors people have mentioned. I'll be looking for Niro number three in the next 6 months so let us know if the mileage straightens itself out.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Why would ac affect mileage on a niro if it has its own power source ?
Doesn't matter if the compressor is driven by the engine or via an electric motor. The power is coming from somewhere, and since the HEV can't be plugged in it's still coming from the engine. The engine charges the battery by moving the car, and even the regen is still coming from motion created by the engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Doesn't matter if the compressor is driven by the engine or via an electric motor. The power is coming from somewhere, and since the HEV can't be plugged in it's still coming from the engine. The engine charges the battery by moving the car, and even the regen is still coming from motion created by the engine.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Absolutely correct for our cars. However belt driven AC really does munch mpg. Our motor driven (by the high voltage traction battery) compressors are far more efficient that those engine belts of yore. So little that many owners think there is no impact on mpg (there is).

And yes, more than opening windows. Bjørn Nyland (EV YouTuber) did a significant driving test comparing realtime impacts of the two in BEVs. Still, he liked the comfort of AC better. I'm stubborn and don't use the AC until temperature is above 85.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Yeah, the old belt driven compressors with the clutch on the drive absolutely were power hogs. They did come up with more modern units that consumed far less power, and are most likely similar to the electrically driven ones we use today.

·
Registered
KIA NIRO LXS HEV 2020MY
13 Posts

Hello,

I have a 2020 Niro HEV LXS, that it has only have 300miles. I can tell you that the MPG of the car is too variable. When I drive as I say "pressing the accelerator smoothly and only with the top of the shoe" and use the cruise control, then I can get 60 MPG inside the city and 57 in Highway at 70 M/h. Anyway once I press more the accelerator the MPG drop down to 45 - 48.
The another one point is that you cannot compare the engine of your 18 Niro where it is out from the initial period of adjustment with a brand new engine of your 2020 that is inside the adjustment period. To do a good comparative between the both cars can be made after the 2020 LXS arrive at 2000 miles and one change of oil. (0W20).
Third, try to charge the battery with the brakes in large distances, example start to apply the brakes with more than 100' from the traffic lights or when you are slowing down the small hills. Look at the left of the display in the dashboard specifically the needle that indicate the regimen of charge.
Regards
Willyam

·
Registered
2018 Niro Touring Pearl White
16 Posts
I bought my 2018 Touring about seven months ago and have put almost 14k miles on it above the 20k it had when I bought it. I did an average for 12k miles and overall came in at 44 mpg. I'm not complaining--the claimed mileage is 40-46 and I'm falling right in there, and I haven't even gotten to drive the car in summer yet. When we hit negative temps I had one tank where I only got 39 mpg, but then I had a road trip where I dropped to 37, which really surprised me because it wasn't either all that cold or windy. I guess I must have done more aggressive passing and driving while in Kansas City than I normally do at home.

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Touring Graphite Edition
61 Posts

You never mentioned what part of the world you took this trip of 2500 miles. Everybody's mentioned that temps have a huge effect on mileage. Take into consideration that the temp differential between the two trips was perhaps over 20F. Cooler or very high ambient temps makes for a battery that is not as peppy as it can be. 60F is also denser air and the higher the speeds the greater the drag, it's exponential my dear Watson. You may also have bagged a tankful of winter grade gas as techy mentioned. Maybe you didn't quite get the full tank. It clicked off early. That's a handful of mpg's right there. How much traffic were you drafting on during the two trips. When I get kind of close behind a box truck on the highway my instantaneous mpg goes flying up. Even following a car/SUV you can see the difference. If you do the trip again soon it'd be nice to see if there was any improvement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just did a road trip this weekend, about 400 miles each way, in our 2019 PHEV. We averaged about 51mpg on the way there and about 42mpg on the way back. The main differences were average speed (faster interstate on the way home, probably avg 75mph vs 65mph), and wind — there was a substantial headwind pretty much all the way during the return trip.

I'd bet on the wind being the biggest factor.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
75 mph is going to be 4 mpg + hit over 65 mph. I don't document such drops, but when I notice a drop during a drive and check the weather for wind speed and direction, that is roughly my drop for a 10 mph headwind when I'm going 65 mph.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts