Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I ran out of gas and the battery died. I put gas into the car and started the car but what happened was the car engine wasn’t actually turning on. I had gas but I couldn’t move. I got the car jumped but nothing. I tried using the 12v reset and then the car would just shut off after a few minutes. I would get this image at the end, before shutting off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried putting it in Sport mode to see if there is a difference in behavior? I believe that should force it to use the ICE and both recharge the battery pack along with propulsion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If it's similiar to a Prius if you run out of gas and completly drain the HV battery you got a big problem. Car has to get towed to dealer and HV battery recharged with a special charger. When the Prius first came out there was only a few chargers and they had to get shipped from dealer to dealer. Hope it's all changed by now. Interested to see what happens in the Niro's case if the HV battery gets completly discharged.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Interested to see what happens in the Niro's case if the HV battery gets completly discharged.
I think this! That's why the stern warnings when gas gets low. However, I thought limp mode stops before this point so you can get gas and get going still. There is a very complicated way you can force the car to start with the gasoline engine. Of course, at the point the OP is in, you might need a 12 volt jump to perform the maneuvers needed. I suspect that is how the dealer will restore the car when it arrives. Easier than charging the traction battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried putting it in Sport mode to see if there is a difference in behavior? I believe that should force it to use the ICE and both recharge the battery pack along with propulsion.
If that’s the case it should be a cheap and easy fix!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think this! That's why the stern warnings when gas gets low. However, I thought limp mode stops before this point so you can get gas and get going still. There is a very complicated way you can force the car to start with the gasoline engine. Of course, at the point the OP is in, you might need a 12 volt jump to perform the maneuvers needed. I suspect that is how the dealer will restore the car when it arrives. Easier than charging the traction battery.
Man I’m hoping! It drained so quickly at the worst possible moment. Lesson learned

1 - 8 of 8 Posts