Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put vehicle in Reverse you hear and beeping noise. At first I thought it was a backup warning you hear especially when a Commercial Vehicle is backing. I thought this was nice to have on the Niro. However, with my wife in the Car, foot on brake, vehicle in reverse....I walked to the back of the car and the sound was not coming from the rear. What I discovered with the car in reverse the Beeping noise is coming from the front of the Car. Took vehicle to dealer, they had no explanation, to them it made no sense....if its a Backup warning....the sound should be coming from Rear, not from the Front.

Anyone have the answer...why the sound is coming from front and not rear

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I put vehicle in Reverse you hear and beeping noise. At first I thought it was a backup warning you hear especially when a Commercial Vehicle is backing. I thought this was nice to have on the Niro. However, with my wife in the Car, foot on brake, vehicle in reverse....I walked to the back of the car and the sound was not coming from the rear. What I discovered with the car in reverse the Beeping noise is coming from the front of the Car. Took vehicle to dealer, they had no explanation, to them it made no sense....if its a Backup warning....the sound should be coming from Rear, not from the Front.

Anyone have the answer...why the sound is coming from front and not rear
Can you hear it when you're behind the car? If so, why does it matter where it's coming from?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The beep is quite noticeable when standing in front of the Car; very faint when, at the rear of the car....almost so that no one walking across the rear of the car would even maybe notice it. If it is meant to warn a person walking behind the car.....the placement of the parts that emit the Noise should be on the rear of the car, not the front.

My Post was to confirm that others confirm that the beeping sound when vehicle is put in reverse.....the parts emitting the sound is installed in the front of the car.....and my car just was not an exception. The dealership basically said they had no idea why Kia designed and mounted the Backup warning parts on the front, but that is what they did.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey ...maybe it's to warn the driver that the car is, in fact, in reverse [notwithstanding the backup camera is displayed] as there are many accidents with drivers applying the gas and going backwards instead of forward...
Kia is always a step ahead of the pack when it comes to nice stuff [even when it ain't obvious].>:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point; but wouldn't you think locating the device that is making the sound be inside the car, not outside in the front of the car.

Surely there is good reason where Kia placed the emitting sound device when vehicle is put in reverse, would be nice if by chance a Kia Tech agent would stumble across this Posting and provide the reasoning/logic of this warning alert and it placement outside in front of the Niro........

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good point; but wouldn't you think locating the device that is making the sound be inside the car, not outside in the front of the car.
The beeps are not for the driver, even though there are some drivers who might really need this feature, it's for the hoards of "Parking Lot Cows" who meander through parking lots willy nilly not paying attention, without a care in the world. When you are backing out of a space this beeping in meant to alert the bovine bozos with a warning beep alert that signifies, either stop and let the car proceed, or get out of the way! Of course nobody has done a study to determine if the cows actually react to the alert, or just shrug it off as not applying to them!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But, wouldn't it have made more sense to locate the sound devices on the rear of the car rather than the front? The Beeping is very noticeable standing in front of the Vehicles, hardly noticeable when standing to the rear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading Kia Niro manual found this:

Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS)
The Virtual Engine Sound System generates engine sound for pedestrians to hear vehicle sound because there is limited sound while motor power is used.
• The VESS may be turned ON or OFF by pressing the VESS button. (if equipped)
• If the vehicle is moving at low speed, the VESS will operate.
• When the gear is shifted to R (Reverse), an additional warning sound will be heard.

My 2018 Niro does not have the VESS on/off Button. I will "assume" the VESS is always on when vehicle is moving forward....but so far I have never heard it.....and for the purposes of Pedestrians hearing vehicle at low speeds...sound should emanate from the Front, but, when placing vehicle in reverse (as written in Manual) this sound is barely noticeable to a pedestrian walking by rear of vehcile.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My post was kinda being a wisea**, but the following post really got me thinking. For the VESS to always be on makes sense if it is loud enough to hear the vehicle approaching, which my Volt did, but I could hear inside the car. I knew it was effective as walkers would move out of the way. In my '18 Nero EX [no packages] I can hear the beeping in reverse as the audio volume is reduced. BUT, with the Blind side warning if a pedestrian or vehicle is approaching I do get a loud & flashing warning. Maybe the BSW is only good for a large object and the beeping is for a small object such ae a person. Having said that, there is a problem with drivers backing up and killing a pet or child. Beeping ain't going to help. BSW would. So does anyone know what the threshold is for the BSW is? Size of/distance from/etc.?

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
The VESS is only for PHEV models (that i can see with info on the web), BUT the same speaker places behind the front grill, does on all model the "sonar" sound when backing up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Niro is so quiet, I've surprised a few people in parking lots. I've loaded the car and sat for a moment waiting for someone as they walk past me. When they're out of the way, I pull out of the parking spot, and watch their reaction. I've joked about stamping the side of the car like fighter pilots listing their "Kills."

T. L.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts