Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got the strain relief back on. Then I stuffed a T-shirt between the noise maker and the front grill. - That didn't make much difference. I don't know how to remove the grill or face.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can unbolt the whole front bumper cover... takes a bit but it comes off... look on youtube

In 2017 there were just 2 wires to the speaker, how many wires in your 2018?

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are 4 wires in the 2020 Kia Niro EV. They use weird snaps all over the place on the various plastic pieces. You gotta know how to unsnap them. Maybe I can find out how on youtube.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see 4 wires on mine too. I pulled the glovebox out and checked all the modules in that area, none of them looked like the 2017 module that had the amp in it.

I have a friend with a Kona, his speaker box has a 12 pin connector.

I'm also investigating if the wiring to disable it is behind the dash and the "empty" button on the left side.

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I see 4 wires on mine too. I pulled the glovebox out and checked all the modules in that area, none of them looked like the 2017 module that had the amp in it.

I have a friend with a Kona, his speaker box has a 12 pin connector.

I'm also investigating if the wiring to disable it is behind the dash and the "empty" button on the left side.

Greg
I think my connector might have 12 pins as well, but only 4 wires. Wouldn't it be nice to find a disable wire where a disable switch might have gone. I saw one video with a disable switch. .. I think it was not for a KIA though. It had to be pushed at every backup. So it must have sent a signal to the controller.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have the disable switch inside that disables the inside beeping, but it resets, and has no effect on the outside.

But apparently other countries have an off switch it's on the dash. I have a pinout of his 12 pin connector and there is a disable line and a line to light a LED on the dash when disabled, like the charging cord lock.

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have the disable switch inside that disables the inside beeping, but it resets, and has no effect on the outside.

But apparently other countries have an off switch it's on the dash. I have a pinout of his 12 pin connector and there is a disable line and a line to light a LED on the dash when disabled, like the charging cord lock.

Greg

The 2020 Niro doesn't have an inside beeper. The outside one is so load that it can be heard inside.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry, wrong beep, I was confusing the parking distance warning beep that can be disabled with the button just above drive mode in the console.

When I back out of my driveway, there's so many beeps all my neighbors are awakened!

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry, wrong beep, I was confusing the parking distance warning beep that can be disabled with the button just above drive mode in the console.

When I back out of my driveway, there's so many beeps all my neighbors are awakened!

Greg
Exactlly, Everyone complains about the back-up beep. It is horrible! Sounds like a big earth mover backing up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll report back when I have investigated the left side of the dash. I still have the crash pad off the right side, I need to get some matte trim on that blinding silver trim on the dash! I guess there is no sunlight in Korea?

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
Exactlly, Everyone complains about the back-up beep. It is horrible! Sounds like a big earth mover backing up.
They must have really changed it from 2019. Mine is a gentle tone, similar to the seatbelt warning, although much lower volume. Inside it's not audible if the radio is turned up, and I've stood outside the car while my wife is backing it into the garage, and it's barely noticeable when I'm standing right at the rear bumper. Just enough that you know something's there. Not at all jarring, and cannot be heard from inside the house.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So apparently the law goes into effect here in September, so that is why I said "upcoming regulations"... and who knows what is in the minds of the Kia engineers, how they interpret upcoming laws, maybe one has a hearing problem, who knows?

In any case, it is loud, there is no denying that.

Greg

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
who knows what is in the minds of the Kia engineers, how they interpret upcoming laws, maybe one has a hearing problem,
Engineers take measurements, dB level at so many feet. Regulators specify minimum dB levels. They won't use their ears, either regulations, or research if they think the regulatory minimums are less than required for safety (and liability).

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is not what I said, the most intelligent questions have been why did they implement it this way?

My best guess is the upcoming regulations, and with an existing speaker in the front, they just jacked up the volume so it is loud enough BEHIND the vehicle, instead of adding another speaker at the rear.

The result is a one time cost in software, since the speaker is a CAN bus device, as opposed to adding another speaker, wiring, etc, in other words COST.

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Engineers take measurements, dB level at so many feet. Regulators specify minimum dB levels. They won't use their ears, either regulations, or research if they think the regulatory minimums are less than required for safety (and liability).
I called a Kia dealer yesterday to find out if they had any volume control or disable function. The service and parts department would not answer the phone. The sales guy said no.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So the disable function is apparently available in OTHER countries.... I have the schematic and wiring diagram for one. Will report back if I can find the wires in the wiring harness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So the disable function is apparently available in OTHER countries.... I have the schematic and wiring diagram for one. Will report back if I can find the wires in the wiring harness.
Some news: Apparently the metal box behind the grill is not the noisemaker, even though it vibrates quite a lot with the noise. Instead it is forward looking radar. Perhaps the 'speaker' is up above the grill, even more deeply buried behind plastic and metal.
I called another Kia dealer, and got the same news, they offer no way to turn it off, or reduce the volume.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts