Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a new 2018 niro and am getting exceptional gas mileage. my range is 571 mile per tank. my first fillup was 8 days after leaving the KIA showroom.
i traveled 508 miles and added 9.265 gallons to my small tank (54.83 mpg). so far so good. i was wondering if running the air conditioning and bluetooth google maps and any other electric devices will have a affect on mileage. i really want good mileage. i traded my rav4 with 130k miles in for this and was not getting good mileage...but never had a problem with that car. the fact that my wifes samsung can bring up maps on the display with audio is outstanding. although cargo space is less than the rav4 it still gets my mother-in-laws walker in there. push button start take getting used to. i did attempt to lock the car and was not able to do so since i seemed to have forgot to turn the car off. it is so quiet. (bad move that) i am still reaching for my keys. i also love the rear video, but still check left and right before backing out.

i try to always drive in the double green area for best fuel economy and will continue to do this. i do take my foot off the gas to get back into the double green eco area when i am paying attention. i have only had the car for 2 weeks but am very happy so far. as my friends say....tell me in three months if you still love it

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just purchased a new 2018 niro and am getting exceptional gas mileage. my range is 571 mile per tank. my first fillup was 8 days after leaving the KIA showroom.
i traveled 508 miles and added 9.265 gallons to my small tank (54.83 mpg). so far so good. i was wondering if running the air conditioning and bluetooth google maps and any other electric devices will have a affect on mileage. i really want good mileage. i traded my rav4 with 130k miles in for this and was not getting good mileage...but never had a problem with that car. the fact that my wifes samsung can bring up maps on the display with audio is outstanding. although cargo space is less than the rav4 it still gets my mother-in-laws walker in there. push button start take getting used to. i did attempt to lock the car and was not able to do so since i seemed to have forgot to turn the car off. it is so quiet. (bad move that) i am still reaching for my keys. i also love the rear video, but still check left and right before backing out.

i try to always drive in the double green area for best fuel economy and will continue to do this. i do take my foot off the gas to get back into the double green eco area when i am paying attention. i have only had the car for 2 weeks but am very happy so far. as my friends say....tell me in three months if you still love it
Congrats on a brilliant choice of vehicle! You're doing yourself and the environment a favor! I'm assuming you are driving the FE trim to get that fuel economy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
model of niro

the model on the window price list is a LX not very different from the FE. we live in florida in a small town. most trips are around 15 miles max.
going to breakfast this morning 63.9 MPG. still smiling and 197 miles to go but i do coast alot.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The price of a base LX is just $380 more than an FE. But there is a big cost in fuel efficiency drop between the two models, at least the EPA ratings. In an attempt to match the FE efficiency on my LX (would have preferred the FE but wanted the tech package), I've removed the roof rails (probably worth 1.5% gain), the left outside mirror (about a 2.5% gain), and removed a net 40 pounds (probably less than 1% gain). More depends on driving style and temperature and wind conditions than my modifications, but the mods benefit efficiency regardless of the other variables. I'm expecting to average over 50 mpg this summer, and hoping for over 50 mpg annual average. Depends on how much high speed freeway driving I do. On this fill up with daytime temperatures in the 50's, I'm on track to do 600 miles.

·
Registered
178 Posts

It shouldn't. Accessories (all) are powered by the 12v lithium ion ferrite core battery that is inside the main hybrid battery housing, totally separate from the hybrid battery so your accessories should have NO bearing on your mpg. Since you said you're in Florida, don't be fooled by some posts that swear that the 12v battery is in the cargo area/side wall, in the US models it is NOT, it's located within the hybrid battery housing.............. from what I've read MANY times over, the A/C is run all electric, heat however, is just like a regular car,,,,,it depends on the engine warming up, and heat will drastically reduce your mpg's..........I live in the very norther tip of NY state, 30 miles south of Canada/Quebec, and our winters, this past winter was our first Niro winter, our mpg dropped to the high 20's.........may have gotten better with longer trips...........spring summer fall,,,,,,,,, 55-60mpg...........love this car! we bought ours, Niro EX, last July,,,,,,,our summers here in Norther NY can be as bad as your Florida summers, hot and high humidity...........I didn't notice too much difference in mpg with the A/C on and that makes sense since it's supposedly run by battery only, not sure if that would be the 12v or the hybrid battery......probably the 12v........... I guess the only cars with a true electric heater core are the full EV electric only cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Using accessories and AC of course uses fuel indirectly. Whichever battery they are run from, that battery is charged by the engine. The effect of AC and maybe non-LED lights should be noticeable; I am sure radio usage etc is negligible.

The AC for sure uses the high voltage battery, 12 V doesn't have enough sustainable power to run AC from.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Since you said you're in Florida, don't be fooled by some posts that swear that the 12v battery is in the cargo area/side wall, in the US models it is NOT, it's located within the hybrid battery housing..............
That is true of the North American Niros that are HEV, but is not true of the PHEV. That has a lead acid battery in the cargo area. Confirmed, but no word as to why yet. Seems like a step backwards.

·
Registered
366 Posts
100% of the power for the car comes from gasoline...yep 100% of it. Every single accessory or feature.

Without gasoline to charge either or both batteries, they will die quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still loving my hybrid kia

i am glad that my batteries are kept up to snuff with a minimal of gasoline. i just have never had a car with this type of mileage before. i have had low 50's mileage with three people in the car but by myself i have seen 67.4 mpg. i will be filling up in the next few days. if i make it to saturday it will be three weeks with one fillup. ac works well and i use the digital speedometer for normal driving. i still reach for my keys but like the door locks opening with the black button being pushed. i have alot to learn about this cars capailities. when my wife first tried the google map interface with bluetooth she could not make it work. we did not have a data/charging cable for her samsung. 5$ and walmart solved that little surprise. we fold the cover in the hatch area back so we can stand up our groceries for the trip home. that was previously put in a rav4 cargo net.
i like it.

for upstate NY driver .....we did live in clifton park exit 10 on the northway and made many trips to plattsburgh,schroon lake, and lake george. winters are 8 month long
and then 4 months of black flies. no state tax in florida. but you are correct about our summers 95 in the day 75 at night. ac in the house,car,mall, restaurant and anywhere
else but the gas pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still loving my niro. for the month of april only two fillups. 49.00 total. our mileage per tank is now 597 up from 571. my best mpg was today going to breakfast with wife....73.1 mpg hard to believe. short trip about 10 miles. i do pay attention to eco and being in the double green section of the display. have had niro one month as of today with 1400 miles driven.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
My trip display once read 78 mpg. Totally meaningless on short trips as you may have started with a full traction battery. Or a big tailwind.

My mileage per tank is about 600 currently, but the weather is still warming up so I'm hoping for new records.

I'd caution you about trusting the car's average display. Mine has varied from 3 to 7 mpg high compared to my calculated average per fill (I top off to the same place every time). I'm now at 47 mpg overall calculated average, but mostly very cold weather so far (warm now, but riding motorcycle - 68 mpg). My best tank has been 50 mpg, my current one is likely to end up 51 or 52 mpg. Still delighted, but expecting my annual average to en up over 50.

·
Registered
3 Posts
460 miles today with the AC on the entire trip and 55.6mpg at 73 to 75mph.
It was over 100 degrees at times today as well.

Can't believe how well the car did. Really pleased with it the 24 hours I've owned it so far LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had some crazy mileage on my PHEV yesterday. Trip display registered 160 mpg when I pulled into work. At one point on the drive in it was over 170. I know it is because I use EV mode on the freeway and traffic allowed me to only use the HEV mode a few times. Hanging in the mid 70's now. Loving this car. Just under 500 miles on my first tank, but still have almost half a tank of gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had some crazy mileage on my PHEV yesterday. Trip display registered 160 mpg when I pulled into work. At one point on the drive in it was over 170. I know it is because I use EV mode on the freeway and traffic allowed me to only use the HEV mode a few times. Hanging in the mid 70's now. Loving this car. Just under 500 miles on my first tank, but still have almost half a tank of gas.
Well, you have the plugin, so it doesn't really count. ;)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Seems like most PHEV owners end up with mid 70"s to mid 80's at home, at least as reported on the forums (I see more data on the Ioniq forum). Long trips are usually not reported, and unless destination charging is used daily, the mpg should be less than the standard hybrid because of the extra weight. But yes, PHEV reported mpg is super anecdotal and less comparable than hybrid owners chatting (which also is highly anecdotal, just less of a swing). But if I owned one, I'd brag too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
oh, so doesn't the plugin part of the PHEV also get charged (if possible) when driving? I was under the impression that once the hybrid part of the car is fully charged, then the excess energy will go to charging the other battery. I am not exactly sure how that system works, but essentially, I thought that there was a bigger battery to charge for PHEV thus theoretically increasing the mpg, inspite of the heavier car.

So we had recently gone to WV to New River gorge, and there's a scenic tour one can do, that actually goes from the top of the mountain, all the way down to the river. My battery ended up fully charged well before I hit the bottom, so the excess energy was just wasted. Would not the PHEV being charged even more, in this situation?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Seems like most PHEV owners end up with mid 70"s to mid 80's at home, at least as reported on the forums (I see more data on the Ioniq forum). Long trips are usually not reported, and unless destination charging is used daily, the mpg should be less than the standard hybrid because of the extra weight. But yes, PHEV reported mpg is super anecdotal and less comparable than hybrid owners chatting (which also is highly anecdotal, just less of a swing). But if I owned one, I'd brag too!
This is also why Fuelly splits the Niro and the Niro Plug-in models. Unfortunately, fueleconomy.gov does NOT, which is going to severely skew their reported results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
oh, so doesn't the plugin part of the PHEV also get charged (if possible) when driving? I was under the impression that once the hybrid part of the car is fully charged, then the excess energy will go to charging the other battery. I am not exactly sure how that system works, but essentially, I thought that there was a bigger battery to charge for PHEV thus theoretically increasing the mpg, inspite of the heavier car.

So we had recently gone to WV to New River gorge, and there's a scenic tour one can do, that actually goes from the top of the mountain, all the way down to the river. My battery ended up fully charged well before I hit the bottom, so the excess energy was just wasted. Would not the PHEV being charged even more, in this situation?
I’d like to know the answer to this as well...can anybody weigh in? I have a PHEV Prius owner that says his car does this.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
One traction battery, plus a 12 V battery. Software controls keep it charged between around 30 to 70% for long life. Deep discharges and overcharging shortens battery life. Most have experienced this with laptops and cell phones. A PHEV is a regular hybrid with a larger battery, nothing more. Two advantages over a "regular" hybrid, the main one is that you can plug in to charge the battery using your relatively cheap home power instead of the ICE recharging the battery. The other one, relatively rare, is you can recapture more energy going down a really long steep hill than the smaller traction battery before the car will turn on the ICE for engine braking instead of overcharging the battery with regen.

Two huge downsides of PHEVs. The main one is that they cost a lot more. All us taxpayers subsidize the tax rebates on PHEVs (plus enforce extra cost on manufacturers to make such cars to bring down their total fleet mpg). Otherwise there would be very few sales at all.

Eventually those subsidies will stop, and either demand (likely from fuel prices well north of $4) will keep these cars in production, or the cost of manufacture will drop (which is happening with battery cost in a significant way). But the extra stuff needed to plug in will always make such cars cost more than "regular" hybrids.

They also weigh a lot more, which is why they get less mpg than regular hybrids when not being plugged in - like on a long trip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
From what I understand about the Ioniq PHEV, there's a "hybrid" portion of the battery and a "plug-in" portion, and the hybrid operation will not charge past the "hybrid" portion. I was hoping the Niro didn't work like this, but if the Ioniq does, the Niro probably does as well.

Source:

If this is the case, I'm glad I didn't hold out for the plug-in. I wouldn't benefit from the extra battery capacity for almost a year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts