Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Recently, the transistion from regenerative to actual braking has gotten quite abrupt. Makes my wife and I get suddenly jerked forward when it happens. Seems to happen every time we brake. I have always felt the transtition, but not to this extent. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Thank you!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Could be some rust or build up of debris on the pads. Try braking hard a few times to make sure the pads rub hard against the rotor. That may clear it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be some rust or build up of debris on the pads. Try braking hard a few times to make sure the pads rub hard against the rotor. That may clear it up.
Thanks for the reply. I did a few "emergency" stops and it is still doing it. Doesn't seem like usafe brakes, but definitely a change from how it felt before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up. I don't know if it is the transition from regen to regular brakes. It happens only on light braking. If I am over 30 mph, it does it at 30mph. If I am below 30 then it happens at around 24mph. If I am below 20 when I start braking, it doesn't do it. It feels like a sudden downshift, but I don't sense any jump in RPM.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,447 Posts
Follow up. I don't know if it is the transition from regen to regular brakes. It happens only on light braking. If I am over 30 mph, it does it at 30mph. If I am below 30 then it happens at around 24mph. If I am below 20 when I start braking, it doesn't do it. It feels like a sudden downshift, but I don't sense any jump in RPM.
If you're running on EV power, you won't see any RPM change. If the engine is even running, it's only at a fast idle to provide cabin heat. And if you're slowing, you're in EV mode. But the HEV/PHEV models do have a dual clutch transmission that does downshift as we slow, regardless if the engine is running or not. We don't have CVTs that don't actually shift gears.

With my PHEV, I seldom can even tell when it switches from regen to mechanical brakes. It's extremely smooth, but my car is a '19 with less than 18,000 miles. Depending on the year and model of yours, and its mileage, it might be different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts