Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Glad nothing was "smoked" by that action. That is the reason why the negative cable is always removed 1st and replaced last.
Yes and I totally know that, lol. I am a telecom guy and not a car guy but have worked around large battery plants and heard stories of tools being completely vaporized with no material to be found when dropped on a bus bar. Not to mention stories of severe injury and death..

· Registered
8 Posts
I replaced my 12v battery last October at the dealer for $222 (battery & labor). Our Kia Niro PHEV is a great car equipped with long lasting tires, brakes, spark plugs and exhaust systems. I never had a voltmeter prior to owning the Niro PHEV, but using it to check the battery status is part of my bi-monthly routine maintenance checks.That and making certain I never leave an interior light on or not completely close the rear hatch. With the 12v battery, Kia just wanted to ensure we'd never get too complacent with our ownership experience.
How do deep cycle batteries do with the non alternator charging system?

The relatively short battery life of the OEMs is unsettling. The 12V battery in my old 2009 Camry Hybrid went south last spring--after 13 years of service! Not exactly sure if there is a difference in how the auxiliary battery is charged with the KIA vs Toyota hybrid systems.
Do these concerns this apply to the Kia Niro's with the lithium ion 12v batteries with the battery reset switch??

· Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2018 Niro PHEV Premium and just turned 60,000 miles. Took it in for the big 60,000 mile service and then a few days later I got a message the passenger side rear door was not closed tight even though it was. When I came out the next day, the battery was dead because it left the overhead lights on because it thought the door was open. I've got a small power pack for jumping cars and jumped it from the front fuse box with the + post. Removed the fuse for the overhead lights and the battery still went dead. Made an appointment to get the door problem fixed and then a light went off in my head. My dealer had a battery in stock, they replaced the battery and that fixed the door problem. So, I basically got 5 years and 60,000 miles out of the old battery and the dealer got $289.31 from me for the new battery.

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Do these concerns this apply to the Kia Niro's with the lithium ion 12v batteries with the battery reset switch??
Not as much, though its life will be greatly shortened if run flat enough times. Lithium batteries handle deep discharges relatively well, and can last 8-10x normal cycles vs. lead. By necessity - safety in part, they also more have sophisticated battery management that keeps them from over-discharge or charge.

By contrast the stock lead battery in the EV and PHEV is basically a starting type, unfortunately not designed for the use/cycling seen in these cars. It holds up well enough, yet only so long as there isn't even a small unexpected long-duration drain - as seen in the post just above this and others. After running flat only once or twice, the stock lead battery loses enough capacity that it can no longer maintain enough charge to properly operate the car. It then must be replaced. One thing I've read (courtesy of Techy) can help - and agree, is every month or two to connect an external smart charger, like a Battery Tender or Noco Genius, overnight. This helps maintain the battery's maximum capacity over its lifetime.

I tried to address this apparent design flaw in my PHEV by installing a deep cycle AGM battery better matched to the car's charge/discharge profile. The new battery is also able to withstand the occasional deep discharge without damage. It's a Die Hard XEV-H4 at Advance Auto Parts, about $250 with core exchange. A lithium type is an even better operational fit, so HEV owners with the embedded 12V can fare better. Next time - several years from now, I hope - if I still have the car, I'll look for a group H4 lithium type to replace the lead AGM.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a Niro EV and I believe they use the same 12v battery as the PHEV with the same problem. The dealer le m know that it wasn't covered by warranty and wanted an outrageous price for the battery. I went to Cosco with low expectations, but they have them in stock for far less. I took it home and put it on a charger to verify that it was fully charged. I installed it as I see descriptions above and took the old battery to Costco and got a little money back for it. It's been almost a year and the Costco "Super Start Extreme" is working fine. I do understand that lead-acid batteries that do not actually start the car die at a young age in an EV or PHEV, so it's mortality is all ut guaranteed. At least I'll know where to get a replacement.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts