Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leased my 2019 Kia Niro EV 2 months ago. The car only has about 1400 miles on it. Last weekend when driving the Check EV System light came on. We were just about to get on the highway so my husband pulled over, we shut the car off and waited a few minutes, turned the car back on and the warning light was gone. It did not come back on. All car functions seemed to be working normally, we charged since then both regular and rapid charge, with no issues.
Today, my husband was driving to work and the same Check EV system light came on. Same situation, he pulled over, turned the car off and when he turned the car back on the light is now off. Everything running normal, etc.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I would like to add that both times this has happened the weather in NYC has been pretty cold. Would cold weather, or the battery warmer have anything to do with this? I am trying to make an appointment with the dealer and of course they are a HASSLE. Figured I would ask here to see if anyone had any idea.
So far these two situations are the only time the warning light has came on. Not sure what it could be. It's hard to find information on it aside from what is in the cars manual, which of course says to no drive the vehicle and take it to a dealer. Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Hbecks10,

I'm in the UK and the orange Check EV System light illuminates on my car in cold weather 0C/32F. It occurs when I change the climate control temperature setting while driving in cold conditions. Once the car is "restarted" the light goes off.

I intend to take my car back to the dealer so don't have a definite fix at present. But other forum posts suggest the 3 way heater valve may be faulty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My e-Niro is at the dealer now and requires a new PTC Heater; part 97191-Q4000. This part is on back order with no supply date at present. Expensive too, list price is $4,700/GBP £3,500.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
My e-Niro is at the dealer now and requires a new PTC Heater; part 97191-Q4000. This part is on back order with no supply date at present. Expensive too, list price is $4,700/GBP £3,500.
You must be referring to the resistance heater found on most BEVs (small chance you are referring to a heat pump? Shouldn't think that would be an option in UK). While the PTC heater is a type of resistance heater, it is found only on ICE equipped cars and is very tiny - wouldn't cost anywhere near that price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You must be referring to the resistance heater found on most BEVs (small chance you are referring to a heat pump? Shouldn't think that would be an option in UK). While the PTC heater is a type of resistance heater, it is found only on ICE equipped cars and is very tiny - wouldn't cost anywhere near that price.
My UK model e-Niro has both a heat pump and what Kia call a PTC heater. Not sure whether it is different to that on an ICE car but it certainly is the price I quoted. And here is a picture of the part:

kia_niro_2019_pct.jpg

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
A heat pump? That is great! Is that standard on all EV trims? You should be able to survive then through your relatively mild winter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2020 EV has a heat pump (radiator in the cabin) and a PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heater.... PTC is a fancy way of saying a coil of wire that increases resistance as it heats up, this is to avoid thermal runaway... it's the same as the heating coil in your space heaters, normally Nichrome wire.

You can tell when the PTC heater is enabled, it gets warmer much faster and you can usually notice a small burning or hot plastic smell... usually dust burning off the heating surface.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts