Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used 2019 Kia Niro LX (pure hybrid) from a dealership two weeks ago, where they told me that the Kia Niro LX should get 51 mpg city and 46 mpg highway. This was corroborated by Edmunds. I am definitely not getting anything close to 51 mpg. I am getting an average fuel economy of about 25 mpg average for small jaunts around town. I think that the engine is kicking in at low speeds and is causing the average fuel economy to be so low. I drive very conservatively and usually have a line of cars behind me because I drive below the city speed limit to maximize fuel economy. I am very disappointed with this car and wish that I didn't buy it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Drive it normally. Babying doesn't really do anything. Sport mode in 1st and maybe 2nd gear and back to Auto for 3rd and up.

If that doesn't fix it, at least you know why it was traded in...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
Colder temps do impact MPG, along with high speeds and aggressive driving. But that is still far lower than most people report. Even with my ICE running full time (battery exhausted) I still get about 50 MPG with my PHEV. But since mine is a plug-in, I can't make any direct comparisons. Check your tire pressures, and make sure they're all about 40 PSI cold. Try a different brand of gas (worth a shot).

·
Registered
60 Posts
To get the top mileage numbers or to exceed them you need the best circumstances.
Ideally, the sweet spot is about 40mph, flat terrain, minimal curves, temps about 65F-75F, and trip lengths of 10 miles or better, very few traffic lights. Under those circumstances I've attained a calculated 58mpg, indicating about 63mpg on the gauge. My all time peak on the gauge has been 65.5mpg.
If you do short trips of less than 4 miles, very cold(30F or less) and need to climb hills to boot your mpg will be substantially less than EPA. The shorter the trip, the colder the temp and the more time between trips the worse it will be but that is also true for every car built today. Even an EV like a Tesla will suffer a substantial loss of range in those conditions.
One counterintuitive thing you may be doing is accelerating too slowly. When you're accelerating with the engine running try not to spend too much time in lower gears. Especially between 20 and 30 mph, step on the gas a bit more if conditions allow or warrant(don't race to a red light) to get it up to the next gear. When reaching approx 30mph you'll here the rpm drop as it jumps into the next higher gear and you want that. The lower the rpm for a given mph the better your mpg. Grinding your way up a long incline at 25mph is costing you more gas than if you had accelerated up to 30mph and been in a higher gear and at the higher speed it would mean spending less time on the hill. You will get much better mpg at 40mph than grinding along at 20 mph since you're going twice as far for the same eng rpm.
Having adequate pressure in the tires can add a couple of mpg but techniques and conditions and type of driving will add alot more. Oh winter gas hurts mpg also.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Typically, most cars have peak efficiency between 35 and 45 mph. In the Niro specifically I seem to do better over 50 mph. I do notice a shift point about 38 to 40 mph where the instant mpg graph takes a big jump, so I don't dawdle below that speed in the wintertime. So I agree to coming up to speed quickly. However, at 30 mph, efficiency is worse than 40 mph. So even though speed limit starting out is 35 mph, I get up to 40 mph briskly. In the wintertime with a cold start, the engine is running anyway, so getting to an efficient speed fast is a good thing in all likelihood. I don't engage heat until I've gone several miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Typically, most cars have peak efficiency between 35 and 45 mph. In the Niro specifically I seem to do better over 50 mph. I do notice a shift point about 38 to 40 mph where the instant mpg graph takes a big jump, so I don't dawdle below that speed in the wintertime. So I agree to coming up to speed quickly. However, at 30 mph, efficiency is worse than 40 mph. So even though speed limit starting out is 35 mph, I get up to 40 mph briskly. In the wintertime with a cold start, the engine is running anyway, so getting to an efficient speed fast is a good thing in all likelihood. I don't engage heat until I've gone several miles.
The only thing I dispute is that it does better above 50mph. That runs counter to my observations and contradicts the EPA claim of better city mpg than highway.
Grinding along at 20mph is worse economy wise than doing 30, as 30 is to doing 40mph but 40 to 45mph is much better than doing 50mph. Unless you're climbing a hill it's got enough torque to maintain 45mph without downshifting or otherwise opening the throttle more to maintain the higher speed. At 50mph I'm just maintaining or starting to lose some of the mpg's I have accumulated to that point. So, sorry I can't buy that.

I don't have the full Touring model but I do have the 18in wheels. If you have the 16's than that may be the monkey in the wrench.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Ah. I get the same efficiency you are getting at 40 mph at normal 65 max driving in summertime. Best tanks are 59 mpg calculated. Never had the occasion to go a tank at 40 mph, but do note instant mpg graph better above 50 than 40. But typically 40 mph is cold, and above 50 is warm engine. Not exactly apples to apples.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you need to run it to a dealer and have it plugged in and checked out. 25 mpg is way out of whack. UNLESS you live in a very cold climate and are just driving short distances at low speed. Any car will not do well in those conditions.

I have had my 2019 Niro LX (16" wheels) since last October and it runs between 46 and 51 mpg. I live in L.A., so obviously it doesn't get too cold, and do mostly freeway driving. When I'm on surface streets, I keep it in the Eco range just above the Charge range when I can (around 35-40), I don't tend to accelerate dramatically, and I just about never use Sport boost.
When I went down to San Diego and back using cruise control set at 70, the mileage was an impressive 55. Since I understood mileage would be better in town, this is puzzling, but I'll take it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
25 MPG does seem low. In cold weather here the worst I see is 35-40 MPG and I only have 16,000 miles on my 2017 EX, mostly short 2 mile trips with traffic lights, but also a handful of 1200 mile trips, plus occasional longer trips out and about. Best MPGs in spring and fall as summer heat seems to level it out again (need A/C). I think my overall is upper 40's, but haven't calculated it in about a year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts