Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2019 kia niro 4 days ago. It had 30 miles on it. Driving home from out of town, all of a sudden the gas peddle wasn't working. Pressed all the way to the floor, there was no power. It corrected itself after about 10 minutes. Then about 20 minutes later the check hybrid system lights came on flashing. Turned the car off, back on mo issues. Until 10 minutes later the check engine lights came on, then the hybrid system error came back on. Pulled over. Shut the car off. Turn it back on to drive to a parking lot where it was safe, not even seconds later the lights all came back on again. The car has 280 miles on it. Have owned it for 4 days. Extremely unhappy. Had to leave it at a kia dealer out of state and get a rental to go home. Anyone know what the issue could be?! Is this going to be a life long problem?!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Purchased a 2019 kia niro 4 days ago. It had 30 miles on it. Driving home from out of town, all of a sudden the gas peddle wasn't working. Pressed all the way to the floor, there was no power. It corrected itself after about 10 minutes. Then about 20 minutes later the check hybrid system lights came on flashing. Turned the car off, back on mo issues. Until 10 minutes later the check engine lights came on, then the hybrid system error came back on. Pulled over. Shut the car off. Turn it back on to drive to a parking lot where it was safe, not even seconds later the lights all came back on again. The car has 280 miles on it. Have owned it for 4 days. Extremely unhappy. Had to leave it at a kia dealer out of state and get a rental to go home. Anyone know what the issue could be?! Is this going to be a life long problem?!
Do you have a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Did you purchase it from a dealership or from someone else?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow that sucks. I had a 2017 and didn't have a single issue. My 2020 LXS HEV got the Air Flaps System Failure after 1500 miles. It just got fixed last week. I'm at 2500 miles now and so far so good. Hopefully they fix it for you and you don't have any more issues

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I have yet to hear back from the dealership it's at. And they supposedly were taking at look at it at 4pm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not that this is much of a reassurance, but this sounds like an initial computer failure situation. Pretty much every kind of complex computer-run device has a 2-3 percent infant mortality rate. I'm surprised we don't hear about more of these situations in vehicles less than a week old. It will be great to hear how this get resolved, but I suspect the heart of the computer system will be replaced and all will be good after that. I've had three trouble-free months with a new 2019 HEV LX with tech package - now over 4,000 miles driven. The Niro has above average initial quality ratings and Kia as a brand is very near the top in that same category. Hopefully this is a one-off situation for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always had KIAs and LOVED them. Honestly couldn't have said enough good things about them. Have had a forte & 2 optimas. Best vehicles I have ever driven.... the dealer never called me back, so I reached out to them again & they said camshaft sensors were bad & needed to be replaced. Not sure if that's the only issue they found, as it was like pulling teeth to get that from them. They didn't even give an estimated time to fix it. It just is a super unfortunate situation all around, seeing it's at a dealer out of state & it's a 3.5 hour drive for me to go back to get it with no time line. I am hoping this is resolved though with this quick fix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
With a brand-new vehicle failure from a long-standing customer, this is not acceptable and should be reported to Kia. I've had very good responses by Hyundai dealers on two vehicles and that's because Hyundai grades the dealers strictly... Possibly a different situation with Kia corporate in the U.S. Insist on a copy of the computer diagnostic read out - and definitely consider looking at another dealer for your "home" maintenance preference. Dealers definitely rate out differently and it is worth the effort to try alternatives when not satisfied.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Pretty much every kind of complex computer-run device has a 2-3 percent infant mortality rate.
Sure, if the car manufacturer does not test before selling. Chips are tested by their manufacturer before sold to car makers. That is why you don't hear about such defects. Why no one ever reports a new iPhone failure out of the box. Quality control, which does seem to vary by maker, and what year it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sure, if the car manufacturer does not test before selling. Chips are tested by their manufacturer before sold to car makers. That is why you don't hear about such defects. Why no one ever reports a new iPhone failure out of the box. Quality control, which does seem to vary by maker, and what year it is.
It is difficult to reply when the thoughts as expressed are not coherent. All car manufacturers test before selling, but none test all electronic components before each unit rolls off the assembly line. Chips are not the same as entire complex computer components so that isn't the issue being discussed. The iPhone isn't a motor vehicle, but we can surely discuss elsewhere that Apple does not want the failure rate of their high-profit margin mobile phones known or the non-living wages paid, etc. - but that is beside the point for this discussion. I did make a point about Kia as a brand is among the initial quality-control leaders and the Niro specifically is above average, as well. And, yes, of course this varies somewhat as results always do based on the model year.

Beyond that, I don't know how your comment can possibly in any way help the OP gain any increased understanding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you purchase it from a dealership or from someone else?
With a brand-new vehicle failure from a long-standing customer, this is not acceptable and should be reported to Kia. I've had very good responses by Hyundai dealers on two vehicles and that's because Hyundai grades the dealers strictly... Possibly a different situation with Kia corporate in the U.S. Insist on a copy of the computer diagnostic read out - and definitely consider looking at another dealer for your "home" maintenance preference. Dealers definitely rate out differently and it is worth the effort to try alternatives when not satisfied.
Report the dealership you're saying? I have a local dealer I typically go to for all my KIA stuff, there was just no way the car was making it there unfortunately. But I will definitely ask for the diagnostic print out when I can finally go pick it up.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Report the dealership you're saying? I have a local dealer I typically go to for all my KIA stuff, there was just no way the car was making it there unfortunately. But I will definitely ask for the diagnostic print out when I can finally go pick it up.
I’m surprise that you are having problems with the 2019. I did research and I have not seen any major problems with them. The 2017-2018 did have quite a few problems. Mines is a 2019 and it already has 14k and no problems. I bought it with only 20 miles (probably from the people that were test driving it). The dealership also did a 160-point inspection which they showed me a copy of it and it all checked out good.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The iPhone isn't a motor vehicle, but we can surely discuss elsewhere that Apple does not want the failure rate of their high-profit margin mobile phones known
Clearly you have never visited an Apple forum, or even kept up on tech news! The smallest defect gets blown up immediately - Apple has no control over social media or the mainstream media.

You cannot QA a new car without also spotting initial defects in chips that have already been through a rigorous QA process. Is that so hard to understand and realize why you don't see very many reports of cars failing immediately or soon thereafter leaving the new car lot? And those that do receive a lot of attention. Not good for any manufacturer's reputation which is why cars receive such close scrutiny before delivery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2019 PHEV, 11 months old but with only 6K miles. I have also experienced the odd "car won't go" situation on only about 3 occasions, in "Drive" at a stoplight, where the fix seemed to be to shift it back to "Park" and then turn it off and back on with foot on brake the entire time. Luckily, the hazard lights still functioned during this event and I could still put the window down, so that I could motion for the car waiting behind me at the light to go around.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
I have a 2019 PHEV, 11 months old but with only 6K miles. I have also experienced the odd "car won't go" situation on only about 3 occasions, in "Drive" at a stoplight, where the fix seemed to be to shift it back to "Park" and then turn it off and back on with foot on brake the entire time. Luckily, the hazard lights still functioned during this event and I could still put the window down, so that I could motion for the car waiting behind me at the light to go around.
I read that the Niros have the Dual Clutch Trans and at time it may hesitate at times little then go. I have had that happen to me once. I was reversing and I stepped on the gas and it didn't go until like two seconds later. After that it never did it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read that the Niros have the Dual Clutch Trans and at time it may hesitate at times little then go. I have had that happen to me once. I was reversing and I stepped on the gas and it didn't go until like two seconds later. After that it never did it.
I also have the clutch stutter issue, which can be very disturbing when it grabs when starting a moderate acceleration, but this issue was simply that the accelerator didn't seem to work at all, at least during those few seconds, until I pressed on the brake and switched to Park and Off, then On, etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts