Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
109 Posts
I also have the clutch stutter issue, which can be very disturbing when it grabs when starting a moderate acceleration, but this issue was simply that the accelerator didn't seem to work at all, at least during those few seconds, until I pressed on the brake and switched to Park and Off, then On, etc.
I got this information from this website https://www.alltransmissionworld.com/what-you-should-know-about-dual-clutch-transmissionswhat-you-should-know-about-dual-clutch-transmissions#:~:text=Jerky, hesitant operation is one,with their dual-clutch transmissions.&text=DCTs can also lag when,correct gear, resulting in lag.

It seems actuate.

Jerky Operation
Jerky, hesitant operation is one of the most common complaints drivers have with their dual-clutch transmissions. Such hesitation is usually felt when pulling away from a stop or while traveling at low speeds. DCTs can also lag when a driver needs another gear other than the one preselected by the transmission. The transmission's software needs time to select the correct gear, resulting in lag.

Clutch Shudder
Some DCTs are also prone to clutch shudder, especially when shifting from one lower gear to another. On dry-clutch DCTs, input shaft leaks can cause oil to seep into the clutch housing and contaminate the dry clutch surfaces. Clutch shudder can also be caused by any number of internal flaws within the transmission itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I doubt the Clutch Shudder issue comes into play until the vehicle gets toward the very high mileage end of the range... but clearly the Jerky Operation scenario is reported - especially on very new vehicles. My experience has been some very slight hesitation at initial acceleration early during break-in (first 200 miles) and no sign of it since (4,000+ miles over the following three months). It seems that is a fairly common experience. All of this seems relatively minor, but it does kind of tell you that CVT - both in theory and practice - has its benefits and is the preferred technology for a reason. You don't have the friction issues that lead to these anomalies.

If it isn't already entirely clear to all, the dual-clutch transmission issues are not at all related to the initial electronic component failure reported in the original post.

·
Super Moderator
1,214 Posts
That jerky operation description isn't completely accurate. While those things are possible, they are by no means prevalent across all vehicles. I see none of that with my Niro, which is now at 15,000 miles. I've had several VWs with the DSG transmission (it's a wet clutch DCT), including the GTI in my garage now. It has 70,000 miles and there's no jerky operation or shudder to it. Of course the VW DSG is one of the best dual clutch transmissions out there.

Myself personally, I can't stand CVTs. I had a Subaru Forester as a month long rental a couple of years ago and I could not stand the way it would rev up when accelerating. My Subaru Outback also had a CVT, but the version for the 6 cylinder was a completely different animal and never felt like a CVT in use. The only reason I was willing to buy it. :)

Of course, now my favorite is an EV with no shifting at all. I love the sound of the electric motor winding up. :D

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
252 Posts
Would second atc98092 observations. Our 2019 Niro is smooth with no jerky operation. I wonder if driver input contributes to the perception of jerky operation?

We had a 2008 Prius with a cvt and would agree with the prior posters comments. Never had any trouble with it but it did disconnect the driving experience for me. It also can cause some issues in winter driving with vehicle response in my experience.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm pretty sure your local service department would have access to work done at the other dealer and provide you the info as a courtesy.
I thought so too but apparently Kia doesn't, which surprised me. When I first bought our certified Sedona the check engine light would always come on and it stumped our local Kia dealer who is very good. I asked him if he could check if it ever had any warranty claims or other work done at other dealers and he said he could only check what was done at their dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’m surprise that you are having problems with the 2019. I did research and I have not seen any major problems with them. The 2017-2018 did have quite a few problems. Mines is a 2019 and it already has 14k and no problems. I bought it with only 20 miles (probably from the people that were test driving it). The dealership also did a 160-point inspection which they showed me a copy of it and it all checked out good.
I looked stuff up too. Couldn't find many if any complaints about the 2019. I'm hoping it was just a fluke and after its fixed there will be no issues

21 - 26 of 26 Posts