Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody is looking for a nice, well maintained Niro my son sold his to Lots For Less in Hanover, Pa. They now have it listed for sale. Only reason he sold it is because his new Sorrento hybrid came in. He always had the oil changed regularly and it's been trouble free since he bought it new.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If anybody is looking for a nice, well maintained Niro my son sold his to Lots For Less in Hanover, Pa. They now have it listed for sale. Only reason he sold it is because his new Sorrento hybrid came in. He always had the oil changed regularly and it's been trouble free since he bought it new.
Can you post a picture and a link to the listing?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
250 Posts
Is he getting the Sorento because it’s bigger?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes 3 kids now and all the assorted stuff that goes with them. So far he's very happy with the Sorento hybrid.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What surprises me too is the 2.5 litre 4cyl. in the Toyota Sienna. I guess just a little bigger engine provides enough power for a big vehicle like that without being turbo. Somehow I think I trust Toyota more to get it right.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The 1.6L non turbo engine would not stand a chance in that vehicle. The turbo will provide the power at the expense of fuel economy.
I think it is bit more nuanced than that. Turbos don't cost (significant) mpg until you need the power. Unlike larger engines that have an mpg hit no matter how driven (overly broad generalization admittedly - Corvettes are one notable exception). Normal driving conditions turbos are not needed (other than very small underpowered cars not sold in this country). That said, they may encourage more enthusiastic driving.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
I think it is bit more nuanced than that. Turbos don't cost (significant) mpg until you need the power. Unlike larger engines that have an mpg hit no matter how driven (overly broad generalization admittedly - Corvettes are one notable exception). Normal driving conditions turbos are not needed (other than very small underpowered cars not sold in this country). That said, they may encourage more enthusiastic driving.
Oh, I agree with you. Turbos do not suck gas until you start to spool it up and ask for more power.
The engine in the Sorento is basically the same one as the Niro but there is a major weight and size difference and while the 1.6L is adequate for most people driving the Niro there is no way that same engine would propel the Sorento to the satisfaction of most drivers.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This also reminds me of when I sold Chrysler vehicles in the late 80's. When the Grand Caravan came out they couldn't get enough V-6's from Mitsubishi so Chrysler's solution was a turbo 4 cyl. That didn't last long though LOL.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
This also reminds me of when I sold Chrysler vehicles in the late 80's. When the Grand Caravan came out they couldn't get enough V-6's from Mitsubishi so Chrysler's solution was a turbo 4 cyl. That didn't last long though LOL.
Turbos have come a long way since the Chrysler minivan and the Mitsubishi V-6 was not a dream engine either.
I like modern day turbo engines because the driver can choose how much "power" (and mpg) is required.
I guess a turbo hybrid would also be acceptable for me.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
250 Posts
The 1.6L non turbo engine would not stand a chance in that vehicle. The turbo will provide the power at the expense of fuel economy.
It makes sense. That small engine would probably cause engine wear overtime. I would get one but it seems more expensive than a Niro. I think the Sportage Hybrid also has a turbo.

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
537 Posts
I've read a number of reviews of the Korean 1.6L T hybrids in Sorrento, Santa Fe, Tucson, & Sportage. IIRC, none of the reviewers complained about a lack of power. On paper at least, it seems like a good combo but long term reliability of this combo is still unproven.
I've driven a Tucson 1.6T Hybrid for about 15 miles and the NA 2.5 Tucson for 900 miles and both seemed more than adequate to me -- of course I was the only passenger and I am no longer a "boy racer". Given a full berth of 5-6 people and their gear the 1.6T might start to struggle and or use a lot of fuel.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When the EPA or whoever tests the cars for their mpg figures do they test the cars loaded to their full weight? The Niro (my Niro) seems to EASILY meet or exceed the mpg numbers on the window sticker. I wonder if that hold true for all of KIA's models?

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
I've read a number of reviews of the Korean 1.6L T hybrids in Sorrento, Santa Fe, Tucson, & Sportage. IIRC, none of the reviewers complained about a lack of power. On paper at least, it seems like a good combo but long term reliability of this combo is still unproven.
I've driven a Tucson 1.6T Hybrid for about 15 miles and the NA 2.5 Tucson for 900 miles and both seemed more than adequate to me -- of course I was the only passenger and I am no longer a "boy racer". Given a full berth of 5-6 people and their gear the 1.6T might start to struggle and or use a lot of fuel.
Oh, I think the 1.6L turbo will do just fine. That is some serious power when the turbo kicks in.
Without the turbo, it would be a turtle.

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
88 Posts
When the EPA or whoever tests the cars for their mpg figures do they test the cars loaded to their full weight? The Niro (my Niro) seems to EASILY meet or exceed the mpg numbers on the window sticker. I wonder if that hold true for all of KIA's models?
I experienced similar with my Niro, however, my new '23 Sportage Hybrid is averaging about 3 MPG under the mark with careful driving. Hopefully it'll improve with some miles. It's rated for 38/38/38, and I'm getting around 35, according to the computer. When I top it off, I'll see how accurate that is.

My dealer gave me $25,500 trade for my '21 with 14,700 miles, and they have it listed on their website for $29,990. Original sticker was $27,305.

I do love the Sportage, though. It's a huge improvement over the old one. It feels very premium for the class. The turbo/hybrid combo is impressive, overall. it'll be much better for hauling things, as it has a lot of room in the back. It's silky smooth and quite, and it's hard to even hear the gas engine kick in. Even when it does, it's so smooth that I really can't even feel it. It's a big difference over the Niro. Maybe the '23 Niro will be similar.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,483 Posts
I'm getting around 35, according to the computer. When I top it off, I'll see how accurate that is.
With my Niro, the dash display was eternally optimistic. Remember mine was the PHEV: mine could be off by 10 MPG or more. It might show 135 MPG, but my Fuelly calculation would 125. That's about an 8% difference. Your 35 might be 32.2 at the same percentage. Then again, on occasion the computer did come close, or the actual calculation was higher. But it was usually the car was too high.

Reactions: RedGeminiPA

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
537 Posts
I experienced similar with my Niro, however, my new '23 Sportage Hybrid is averaging about 3 MPG under the mark with careful driving. Hopefully it'll improve with some miles. It's rated for 38/38/38, and I'm getting around 35, according to the computer. When I top it off, I'll see how accurate that is.

My dealer gave me $25,500 trade for my '21 with 14,700 miles, and they have it listed on their website for $29,990. Original sticker was $27,305.

I do love the Sportage, though. It's a huge improvement over the old one. It feels very premium for the class. The turbo/hybrid combo is impressive, overall. it'll be much better for hauling things, as it has a lot of room in the back. It's silky smooth and quite, and it's hard to even hear the gas engine kick in. Even when it does, it's so smooth that I really can't even feel it. It's a big difference over the Niro. Maybe the '23 Niro will be similar.
35 mpg for break-in period isn't bad. Would not be at all surprising to see it go up 10% after you have 5-10K miles on it. Pls keep us posted

1 - 20 of 24 Posts