Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Niro Hybrid LX and notice at higher speeds (greater than 50 mph), the power from the gas engine seems to stutter. I can feel the unsteady motion bodily. I thought that it might be the air filter, but the air filter is perfectly pristine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Frank

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not with my Niro, but with other vehicles that I run regular gas in. See if running premium fixes this. If it does, go to a different gas station for your regular gas.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Since you say you feel this rather than hearing stutter, please tell us more.

I can feel constant speed wavering (not enough to change the displayed speed) with my back. This is actually more perceptible for me at speeds lower than 50 but I can feel it even at higher speeds (where gyroscopic forces are more likely to obscure it). I'm pretty convinced that it is the motor causing this effect as it happens with engine off. My suspicion is that the engineers did not fuzzy the logic enough and the motor is constantly changing torque ever so slightly for sensors to confirm required torque. Just a theory.

I seem to be rather sensitive to this, noticed it immediately when I took possession, but it took a couple weeks to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Only one other person has confirmed noticing this here. I mostly tune it out now for my own piece of mind, but still notice it from time to time. Most of my miles, even in city streets, are on cruise control. So CC is a suspect too, but I can feel it in full manual control too. Has to be a steady state speed of course.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Try a bottle of Chevron Techron. I used it in my old Chevy Uplander and it did make the engine run smoother.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
With a direct injection engine, Techron cannot clean the intake valves. The Chevy has port injection. It is not clear that this is an engine issue anyway. If his issue is the same as mine, it is electric motor related.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More details about this stuttering issue. I notice this stuttering only when the ICE is running at speeds of greater than 30 mph to 60 mph. It doesn't happen at all when I am in electric mode. I tend to use the cruise control quite often and the stuttering really shows itself when at the aforementioned speeds. I use regular unleaded gas. I tend to drive at speeds conducive for electric mode but often the car shifts to charging mode even at steady speeds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Our 2019 does not do this... Your's is not NORMAL...
1) Take it to "Auto Zone" for a FREE Code Check...
2) Take it to the Dealer to have them take it for a test drive with YOU and a "Salesman" or their "Mechanic" for a Problem Diagnosis...

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
109 Posts
I have a 2019 Niro Hybrid LX and notice at higher speeds (greater than 50 mph), the power from the gas engine seems to stutter. I can feel the unsteady motion bodily. I thought that it might be the air filter, but the air filter is perfectly pristine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Frank
I don’t know if it has to do with the brand of gasoline but what kind do you put?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Amber, uses Sams Regular, and the "KIA Recommended" Bottle of Chevron Techron (from WalMart) put in the Gas Tank at My every 5000 mile Synthetic Oil Change... She gets "EPA" rated fuel economy that the Touring model is Rated for. (no fancy mileage claims here)
Click The Pic ~ Full Screen ~ Escape or "X" to Return ~

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to pay more attention tro whether it happens in electric vs. gas. I assumed it was gas because usually at speeds higher than 50 mph is usually the gas engine powering the car. I'll look into this.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I'm going to pay more attention tro whether it happens in electric vs. gas. I assumed it was gas because usually at speeds higher than 50 mph is usually the gas engine powering the car. I'll look into this.
If it is the motor, it can happen at any speed. Bring up the energy flow diagram for clarity. The motor is often adding torque to the ICE, and car is capable of shifting into EV at speeds over 60 mph.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've never had this problem with my 2018 PHEV.

My brother is a service writer at a GMC dealership, and he has told me on multiple occasions that when customers call about ICE misfires, he advises them to first run a tank of Chevron gas through the system, and then call back if they continue to have a problem. He reports that he has lost a lot of business for his service shop due to this strategy, but he has gained a lot of happy customers who found that the tank of Chevron gas solved the problem, and now they're customers who are more willing to come into his shop for other kinds of problems because they trust him.

I don't like Chevron prices, but there's a Chevron station at the end of my street and I burn so little gas around town that I normally hold my nose and fill up there (I'm trying to "baby" my Niro). When I'm on a road trip, I usually buy whatever is cheapest because it will be gone in a day or two. But there was a perfect storm in the last year for my situation, which meant there were no road trips for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and there were none afterwards because of Covid. The end result is that I went a full year before putting gas in the tank of my PHEV. I'm glad it was Chevron in my tank for that whole time: if it had been something else, I probably would have felt the need to introduce an additive. Even so, I think I kind of stretched it out a bit longer than maybe was optimal for the health of my car.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
he has told me on multiple occasions that when customers call about ICE misfires, he advises them to first run a tank of Chevron gas through the system
Stutter does not mean misfire. And most real misfires will throw a code. High pressure DI injectors don't get much benefit from a fuel detergent (5,000 PSI tends to scour injector tips rather effectively) so it would be quite stunning if that fixed a specific cylinder issue. I don't think an individual cylinder injector issue would cause a "stutter", most issues would involve reduced power, or increasing oil levels, or reduced economy. The major thing that detergents do is clean intake ports (and carburetors in the old days), and detergents never touch the intake ports on a direct injection engine like that found on the Niro.

·
Super Moderator
1,214 Posts
And you don't have to buy Chevron gas to get the cleaner. You can buy a bottle of Techron and add it to whatever gas you're using. And since they are both owned by the same company, Texaco gas also has Techron in it.

And @yticolev is dead on about its usefulness with a DI engine. Might help with a dirty injector, although you'd have to be running some really poor gas to muck them up. Most gas nowadays is Tier 1 if you get any sort of brand name.

·
Registered
498 Posts
And you don't have to buy Chevron gas to get the cleaner. You can buy a bottle of Techron and add it to whatever gas you're using. And since they are both owned by the same company, Texaco gas also has Techron in it.

And @yticolev is dead on about its usefulness with a DI engine. Might help with a dirty injector, although you'd have to be running some really poor gas to muck them up. Most gas nowadays is Tier 1 if you get any sort of brand name.
I don't disagree with either of you, but from the OP's perspective, it's a really simple thing that he can try, it will probably cost him an extra 2 or 3 dollars when filling his tank from empty to reflill at Chevron rather than his usual place (assuming the usual place is not Chevron), but if it solves the problem, then he gets to skip the whole hassle of visitng the dealer, the Covid implications of that visit, etc. For an extra 3 bucks, it's worth a try.

As for whether it's better to purchase a bottle of Techron or simply refuel at a Chevron, I think it comes down to what is most convenient and safe for you. You can skip an extra shopping interaction if you simply refuel at Chevron, rather than going out of your way to purchase a bottle of Techron at some place that you otherwise would not have visited.

And if that doesn't clear up the problem, then yes, the OP should discuss the problem with the dealer's service garage.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
It is still very uncertain if the OPs described symptoms have anything to do with fuel delivery. Frankly, I doubt it as there have been no engine codes reported. Stuttering is misfires if accurately described.

While I also have strong doubts that Chevron branded gas will fix any misbehaving fuel delivery system in the Niro, it shouldn't cost anything to try. While Chevron tries to be higher cost, in many markets around me, they have competitive (exactly the same) cost as other stations after a short lag. I don't see them as being better than any other major brand (almost all of which are similar tier one with some guaranteed level of detergent cleaning) and have seldom if ever bothered. I buy the cheapest, and use what is convenient or has the best points for using their brand. In third world countries (which apparently includes Britain with their poor quality supermarket gas), what station you use may have more relevance, especially if you do not have a DI car like ours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts