Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2019 Niro LX (non-plugin) today from Carvana with just over 11,000 miles on it. Drive it around town just a little to test drive. But later, when my wife took off for my first trip with it, the check engine light came on. She went to pick up a kid from a day camp and while waiting, she turned off the car but keep my phone playing music via AppleCarPlay. Got a message to Turn on my car to keep the battery from discharging/draining. When she turned on the car, she got a message to turn off the car and check the regenerative brakes. Restarted the car and everything seemed OK for a few minutes but right when she got into heavy traffic, got the message about the brakes again and car lost power. So slowed and got over, restarted the car and got going again but then quickly it repeated itself. Got the car off the road and into a business parking lot to wait on road side assistance. Got it towed to a chain store for a complete diagnostic hopefully tomorrow. My wife is wondering what could be said to keep this car or even get another Kia let alone a Niro. It was scary for her and I cannot blame her. What could this be? Anyone else experience this? Do I try another Niro or just give up on the line? Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So sorry to hear of this scary incident - that is a major bummer! :oops:

Many happy, trouble free Niro owners here (myself included), but there are also some who have been haunted by difficult to resolve issues (at certified Kia / Niro dealerships) - some of them taking weeks or months to resolve. Since Kia dealerships oft have diagnostic difficulties resolving their cars issues, I'd be very dubious about Carvana's ability to troubleshoot this. The original Kia 5/50 Powertrain warranty should still be in effect so you could take it to a Kia dealer.

IRCC Carvana has blanket "7 day love it or return it" (no questions asked) policy. Given that you probably don't know the history on this particular Niro - perhaps it was troublesome to the original owner and there are gremlins that the original selling dealer couldn't resolve. Personally, I'd probably give it back to Carvana rather than run the risk of multiple returns to the dealer with possible long delays in repair.

Get another Niro? That's your call. Lots of positive reviews but its not the most trouble free hybrid car out there. If you really like the Niro, you might consider looking for a used one at a Kia dealer to get the full benefit of their 10 yr warranty. IRCC, if you purchase a used Kia from a non Kia dealership, your warranty is shortened to 5 yrs.

Reactions: 91cavgt

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree.

The message stating to start the car to prevent hybrid battery damage is a normal message to get when the radio is on but the engine is turned off. The car will automatically turn the radio off after a few minutes. I can’t count how many times I have had this happen.

The other messages though are VERY concerning and are not typical. The above advice is sound. Return the car due to electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yup, RETURN the car while you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts