Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name is Logan and I'm new to the forums. I recently purchased a 2019 niro to replace my 2014 soul and I'm loving it! My only complaint is how the halogen lights just dont look right with the white led runner lights. Does anyone have any idea what kind of bulbs I should buy for a white light instead of standard yellow halogen? I'm looking for something that is just plug and play preferably.

·
Super Moderator
588 Posts
Hi Legewein, welcome to the forum...

Can you be more specefic about your question ? witch light are you talking about ? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey everyone, my name is Logan and I'm new to the forums. I recently purchased a 2019 niro to replace my 2014 soul and I'm loving it! My only complaint is how the halogen lights just dont look right with the white led runner lights. Does anyone have any idea what kind of bulbs I should buy for a white light instead of standard yellow halogen? I'm looking for something that is just plug and play preferably.
I agree with you the yellow halogen does not look right with that white LED strip. Interested to see what would be plug-in play I have had bad experience with LED headlight bulbs in the past.

·
Registered
174 Posts
While the "yellow" vs the "white" is esthetically deficient to some, there is good reason for that combination. The difference is see vs be seen. The more yellow color is reflected off objects as well as the whiter light making it effective at seeing ahead. At the same time, the "yellow" is far less dazzling to oncoming drivers. The whiter light tends to dazzle oncoming drivers so it is better at being seen as in daylight running lights.

France until the '90s mandated a truly yellow headlight. They didn't dazzle at all. Looking at oncoming traffic was pleasant even to old eyes. You would think they wouldn't light the road but they did very well.

The trend today is toward the whiter, even blue lights. The white, if full spectrum, illuminates well, particularly the white road markings (or a white garage door as is often used demonstrating how good they are). The problem is that the blue component dazzles oncoming drivers more than illuminating the road.

The blue looking lights actually eliminate parts of the spectrum that illuminate the road in favor of the part that dazzles oncoming drivers and are actually dangerous.

A driver's knowledge of lighting is inversely proportional to how blue his headlights are.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html.

All to say the move toward whiter lights may not improve anything but esthetics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Legewein, welcome to the forum...

Can you be more specefic about your question ? witch light are you talking about ? /forum/images/KiaNiroForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png

I'm referring to my main bulb. The 9005 u hb3 hl+. I'm trying to find something along the lines of 6000+ on the color temp. I found some 6500 led lights but I dont much care for the output since it's a projector light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also went from a Soul to a Niro. My soul was a 16 and my Niro is an 18.
I recently changed the bulbs in my headlights. I have purchased LED bulbs for the fog lights and backup lights but have not gotten to putting them in because it has been too cold or snowing lately.

The bulbs I got for the headlights are:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBQTFDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very happy with the difference so far! The color difference between the headlights and fog lights is very noticeable at the moment, but that will change when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are your headlights projectors?

I also went from a Soul to a Niro. My soul was a 16 and my Niro is an 18.
I recently changed the bulbs in my headlights. I have purchased LED bulbs for the fog lights and backup lights but have not gotten to putting them in because it has been too cold or snowing lately.

The bulbs I got for the headlights are:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBQTFDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very happy with the difference so far! The color difference between the headlights and fog lights is very noticeable at the moment, but that will change when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
how many bulbs needed?

I have not yet received our PHEV, so sorry for my ignorance. Would I need 4 of the 9005 bulbs to replace both high and low beams on both sides?

·
Super Moderator
588 Posts
I have not yet received our PHEV, so sorry for my ignorance. Would I need 4 of the 9005 bulbs to replace both high and low beams on both sides?
What trim will it be ?? LX, EX or EX Premium ? Each trim level has is own kind of light system!:|

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I just got a 2019 Niro LX with Adv Tech pkg. I swapped out the headlights, fog lights, license plate lights, back-up/reverse lights, and all interior lights with LEDs. I’m now getting warnings for the drivers fog light and the passengers headlight. I ran a CANBUS module in the drivers headlight and passenger headlight. Could be a faulty CANBUS? Could need a CANBUS on fog AND headlight??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Blue makes me so.

While the "yellow" vs the "white" is esthetically deficient to some, there is good reason for that combination. The difference is see vs be seen. The more yellow color is reflected off objects as well as the whiter light making it effective at seeing ahead. At the same time, the "yellow" is far less dazzling to oncoming drivers. The whiter light tends to dazzle oncoming drivers so it is better at being seen as in daylight running lights.

France until the '90s mandated a truly yellow headlight. They didn't dazzle at all. Looking at oncoming traffic was pleasant even to old eyes. You would think they wouldn't light the road but they did very well.

The trend today is toward the whiter, even blue lights. The white, if full spectrum, illuminates well, particularly the white road markings (or a white garage door as is often used demonstrating how good they are). The problem is that the blue component dazzles oncoming drivers more than illuminating the road.

The blue looking lights actually eliminate parts of the spectrum that illuminate the road in favor of the part that dazzles oncoming drivers and are actually dangerous.

A driver's knowledge of lighting is inversely proportional to how blue his headlights are.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply.

All to say the move toward whiter lights may not improve anything but esthetics.
Agree this trend to higher color temp is BAD (and dumb). I actually hope it is regulated soon, even though I'm not pro-regulate-everything. The smaller wavelengths scatter more, causing glare, this is physics. It's also the reason why marine instrument lights are traditionally red. You can look at them and then outside the boat at night and still see.

That said, I'd like something brighter than the halogens, but it seem the reputable manufactures like Phillips are no longer selling LEDs. Ideally it'd be a 3,000K LED, but that may not be made.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply.

Hi, I just got a 2019 Niro LX with Adv Tech pkg. I swapped out the headlights, fog lights, license plate lights, back-up/reverse lights, and all interior lights with LEDs. I’m now getting warnings for the drivers fog light and the passengers headlight. I ran a CANBUS module in the drivers headlight and passenger headlight. Could be a faulty CANBUS? Could need a CANBUS on fog AND headlight??
Agree this trend to higher color temp is BAD (and dumb). I actually hope it is regulated soon, even though I'm not pro-regulate-everything. The smaller wavelengths scatter more, causing glare, this is physics. It's also the reason why marine instrument lights are traditionally red. You can look at them and then outside the boat at night and still see.

That said, I'd like something brighter than the halogens, but it seem the reputable manufactures like Phillips are no longer selling LEDs. Ideally it'd be a 3,000K LED, but that may not be made.

The reason the French used yellow lights had nothing to do with their efficacy. It was to prevent friendly fire in war.

I actually see far better with the whiter light. I am color blind and have some eye issues that let me have a prescription for tinted windows on my car. The whiter light makes certain things jump out at me more and I feel safer with them.

I am an armature astronomer and we use red flashlights when we have get togethers because that color does not affect our night vision. The problem with human night vision is it is not as acute as our daytime vision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts