Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The same thing happened to me on a trip on the 15fwy north towards Las Vegas on the highest hill climb through death valley, luckily it was nighttime during temperate weather, otherwise I may have been concerned. I took a photo of my battery indicating 0%. This was within one month after purchasing my 2019 PHEV as new, but it didn't happen on other trips up other hills, so that was an unusual circumstance. I still averaged 46 miles to the gallon on the trip to Vegas (from San Diego) over 320 miles, and 54 miles to the gallon on the trip back to San Diego (more downhill average driving) with average speeds of 65MPH using mostly Cruse Control (considered slow on that freeway.) Both directions of the trip was starting with a full battery charge. I did notice that the cruise control on this car is especially easy to adjust and control, in 1 MPH increments/decrements at a time. However, CC expects a longer distance between cars than you expect and sometimes "sees" a vehicle which is in a different lane as in your lane (during gradual turns) and will brake unexpectedly. I turned off lane keeping assist since it generally always makes bad decisions when exit lanes branch off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As others have said, a trip like you described requires liberal use of Sport mode to build that battery juice for when you need it. I'll bet if you try it again using Sport most of the way you'll do fine. I traversed the Rockies back and forth in my '20 PHEV and it powered up even the 12k foot stuff no problem because I used Sport early and often. Plus Sport is a great way to put some distance between you and those a-hole truckers who drive too dangerously in the mountains.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i tried watching the energy flow display on the highway. the section i was on is pretty flat but on the short small rises the battery did discharge to the wheels. so it looks like a long uphill could deplete it. with all that it does i’m surprised that it doesn’t just shift to sport automatically when going uphill………

·
Registered
941 Posts
...with all that it does i’m surprised that it doesn’t just shift to sport automatically when going uphill………
In fact, that's the problem. Shifting to Sport mode when you're already going uphill won't help. All Sport mode does is remap the throttle pedal for better responsiveness and keep the ICE running more often for quicker acceleration. In order to be effective in terms of keeping the battery charged you would need to be in Sport mode long before you got to the steep part of your drive. That will keep the battery from running down on the flat parts leaving you with more juice for the hilly bits. Since the car can't predict conditions down the road it's up to the driver to be proactive in cases like this.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts