Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

2019 PHEV in red - shipping dates?

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Beth 
#1 ·
Anyone know when the PHEV will ship in red? I'm waiting for a red EX Premium and no one local seems to know when they will start arriving.

#2 ·
I've been doing regular inventory searches and FINALLY found a red ex premium plug in. Unfortunately I'm out of town and can't get in until Friday. I'm sure it will be gone before then. $37,375 for dealer price and I doubt I'll be able to get them down by much. Inventory is so low by me that they are doing dealer markups on cars.

#3 ·
Yes, the red PHEV is a rare bird, although there have been some red hybrids around. Don't confine yourself to local dealer inventory. Find a dealer and a salesperson that you like even if they don't have your car on their lot, and ask them to give you a quote for exactly the configuration that you want. Also do that with the internet service of a couple of competing dealers in your area. I did that (for a different color) and about two weeks later, the sales guy was calling me saying that he'd found one at a different dealer who would trade with him if I still wanted it. Then we spent another week or so negotiating price. Don't think that just because it's a rare color you necessarily have to pay more. I had backup offers from the other dealers, which made it easier for me to negotiate for the price that I'd already decided I would pay. I did have to put up with the car having about 60 miles on it when I picked it up, but I got over that pretty quickly.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone. I've been in regular contact with 4 local dealers. They all know exactly what I want and not one of them has been able to get one. I'll call the dealer tomorrow if I can arrange a free hour.

Any feedback on the price? Am I going to be out of luck on getting them down? I'm in Orange County CA. Car comes with sun roof, carpets, and cargo net.

#6 ·
My Kia dealer went out of there way to find a Cerulean blue EX in the southeast region. The only thing is that they came back with a Touring package but gave it to me for the same price. I am sure the PHEVs are even harder to find but certain types of trims and colors are hard to find anywhere.

#7 ·
Hi, i would give a deposit ASAP to hold the car if the color is rare in the USA... Here in Canada, for 2019, The color Red as been discontinued.

#10 ·
I sent you a private message about dealers near you. Check your forum Inbox.

A trade in would make it harder (at least for me) to negotiate price. Unless it's a relatively young car, most new car dealers will sell a trade-in wholesale, meaning that they know that they can't ask a lot for it, so they won't want to give you a lot for it. As a general rule, you're better off selling the trade-in yourself, if you can do that. (This is harder to do if you still owe financing on it, or if you are uncomfortable dealing with people that respond to a classified ad on Craigslist, Facebook, or what-have-you).

If you didn't have a trade in to complicate the negotiations, then my suggestion would be to figure out what you want to pay, figure out what is your walk-away price, and then contact the dealer and tell them: "this is what I'm willing to pay and if you can agree to it, I'll be in tomorrow to sign the paperwork. And by the way, my FICO score is excellent: according to a recent statement from my credit card provider, it is (whatever it is. Obviously, if it's not a superlative score, leave this statement out. But include this information if you have a good score, even if you are paying cash, because it will impress the dealer that you are more likely to be a reliable customer that will close the deal)".

When negotiating like this, it helps if you can have the courage of conviction: if you know that you actually will cool your jets (for at least a week) if they don't agree to your price. Even if that means that maybe they sell your dream car to someone else in the interim (but probably they won't... but they might). If you know that you won't jump until they meet your price, you're likely to telegraph that attitude to them (and if you feel like you actually will cave in quickly if they don't agree to your terms, you're likely to telegraph that attitude to them to).

Sales were down last year, and are probably even worse right now, so dealers are likely to be highly motivated. They just need to be persuaded that you are proposing a deal that will actually happen, soon, and at a price that, while not of their dreams, is sufficient to make them happy and profitable.

I took this approach with four dealers. Two were flexible, two were not. One of the two that was flexible sold a car to me. The two that were not flexible wound up with stale inventory on their lots that started to not look so attractive to prospective buyers when the new model year started coming out.

You can take a similar approach with a trade-in, but it makes things more complicated. Go to something like KellyBlueBook.com to estimate the value of your trade-in. Be sure to look at the trade-in price, not the private-sale price. Try to be honest when estimating the condition of your car (almost nobody has a trade-in that is in "excellent" condition). Negotiate with your dealer for the new car at first as if there was no trade-in involved in the transaction. Once you've got a price based on no-trade in, tell them that you were thinking of selling your old car on Craigslist, but you would like to know how much they would give you for it if you traded it in instead. Taking that two step approach is likely to make it easier to negotiate, and likely to make it easier for you to understand how much the dealer is really offering you for your trade in.

Good luck!

#11 ·
Thanks. I responded to your PM earlier, but since I don't have many posts I don't think it went through. I appreciate you taking the time to pass on so much knowledge. I'll reach out to both dealers, and a few others that have premiums in stock to see what I can work out.

The trade in is a 2001 honda odyssey. Not worth enough for me to deal with selling on my own, so I'd be happy with $500.

#12 ·
I bought the red ex premium yesterday. Didn't get any discount, but was able to argue them out of the dealer markup of 3K that they wanted to tack on (despite the window sticker not having it listed). I'll be sending KIA corporate a letter about that one.

Still trying to figure out what all the beep alarms while I'm driving mean. I turned off the blind spot and that got rid of a lot.

#14 ·
Congrats Beth, you made it! soo happy for you :)

For the beep's... the techno book will tell more about all of it! keep in mind that the "blind spot" is sometimes quite handy.!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.