Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One morning I got in my 2019 Kia Niro PHEV and I immediately noticed that the steering wheel sounded louder than normal when turning. I don't really know how to describe the sound other than as a sort of swishing, rubbing sound. It's not a grinding sound, and it's not accompanied by any vibration or strange behavior like the car pulling hard to one side or the other. I recorded a short video (see below) of the sound that the wheel is making, in park, in electric mode.

I took the car in to a nearby Kia dealer, and was told that "it's just how steering wheels sound". It's driving me a little crazy because I know that the steering wheel used to be whisper-quiet. My mom drives a 2020 Niro PHEV, and her steering wheel sounds exactly like how I remember mine sounding, i.e., no noticeable noise when turning.

I'm not really sure how best to proceed when the local dealership insists there's no issue. I'm not knowledgeable enough about cars to know what the issue, if any, might be. I would love it if any 2019 Niro PHEV owners could weigh in and tell me if their steering wheel sounds this loud. Ideally, I'd like to get some video evidence of what a normal 2019 PHEV steering wheel sounds like so that I can show the dealer and insist that they fix this under warranty.

Here's the video showing what my steering currently sounds like:

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
My car makes a similar sound, but much quieter than that. Mine can't be heard if the radio is playing at all. It's likely something within the steering hub making contact while turning, but it would require removing the wheel to examine. If mine were that loud, I would absolutely take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
One morning I got in my 2019 Kia Niro PHEV and I immediately noticed that the steering wheel sounded louder than normal when turning. I don't really know how to describe the sound other than as a sort of swishing, rubbing sound. It's not a grinding sound, and it's not accompanied by any vibration or strange behavior like the car pulling hard to one side or the other. I recorded a short video (see below) of the sound that the wheel is making, in park, in electric mode.

I took the car in to a nearby Kia dealer, and was told that "it's just how steering wheels sound". It's driving me a little crazy because I know that the steering wheel used to be whisper-quiet. My mom drives a 2020 Niro PHEV, and her steering wheel sounds exactly like how I remember mine sounding, i.e., no noticeable noise when turning.

I'm not really sure how best to proceed when the local dealership insists there's no issue. I'm not knowledgeable enough about cars to know what the issue, if any, might be. I would love it if any 2019 Niro PHEV owners could weigh in and tell me if their steering wheel sounds this loud. Ideally, I'd like to get some video evidence of what a normal 2019 PHEV steering wheel sounds like so that I can show the dealer and insist that they fix this under warranty.

I have a 2020 HEV and I notice a similar sound on some occasions, but I am not concerned about it at all. I think it is simply a close fit that points to possibly to a poor manufacturing process. It is certainly not a bearing issue and I doubt that any dealer is going to entertain trying to "repair".

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2018 LX Ki Niro and it was replaced in the beginning of 2019. Now again it’s happening so when my kid gets back next month from college it will go into Carson Kia to get replaced again. It’s an awful grinding noise that is horrible. Now I have the 2020 Kia Niro EV so far no noise to report. Take it in and get it fixed. I think there are enough repairs soon they should have a recall on this.

·
Registered
65 Posts

not normal! my 2017 has never made a sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts

My 2019 PHEV Niro had a sound like that (but not nearly as loud) when it was 10 months old. They said I needed a new steering shaft assembly which took 2 months to get in. I was told it was safe to drive it while waiting for the part. It turned out to be caused by a noisy shaft bearing. Was covered under the warranty. Not 100% certain the sound is exactly the same since it was two years ago, but think it is likely the same noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2019 PHEV Niro had a sound like that (but not nearly as loud) when it was 10 months old. They said I needed a new steering shaft assembly which took 2 months to get in. I was told it was safe to drive it while waiting for the part. It turned out to be caused by a noisy shaft bearing. Was covered under the warranty. Not 100% certain the sound is exactly the same since it was two years ago, but think it is likely the same noise.
I found an additional service statement from when my noise started which reminded me that the first tech didn't find anything wrong. I then had asked for a manager to take a ride with me. We didn't even get out of the parking lot when he agreed with me that the noise wasn't normal. Write-up said "Vehicle steering is making noise whenever the steering is going left or right the noise is present. Noise is coming from MDPS Assembly. Will need to replace MDPS Assembly to correct noisey steering". Go to a dealership, possibly a different one, and get your problem fixed. Demand management if you are told the noise is normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies! Seems like the overwhelming consensus is that this noise is not normal (which is totally consistent with the fact that it just started out of the blue one morning). I have an appointment scheduled with another dealership and will report back.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Niro PHEV Ex premium
1 Posts

My 2019 Niro PHEV has just started doing the same thing. The car has been driven fewer than 5000 miles and I haven't even had it in for service yet .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my new (to me) 2019 Kia Niro PHEV and was pointed to KIA Technical Service Bulletin #084 (Rev 5, 11/4/2020) for Partial Repair of C-MDPS Motor, ECU, Worm Gear and/or Steering Column Housing. I haven't brought my car in yet to see if this really is the problem but ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm having the same problem with my new (to me) 2019 Kia Niro PHEV and was pointed to KIA Technical Service Bulletin #084 (Rev 5, 11/4/2020) for Partial Repair of C-MDPS Motor, ECU, Worm Gear and/or Steering Column Housing. I haven't brought my car in yet to see if this really is the problem but ....
@LeeKB wow, thanks for the pointer to the technical service bulletin. They link to a video on page 3 of worm shaft bearing noise that sounds exactly like what my car is doing. This will be great info to take to the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this problem. The dealer replaced the worm gear assembly. Problem solved.

It seems that there is a small bearing on this worm gear that fails, causing the noise.

Many kia and hyundai models share this same bad bearing in their designs.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
I had this problem. The dealer replaced the worm gear assembly. Problem solved.

It seems that there is a small bearing on this worm gear that fails, causing the noise.

Many kia and hyundai models share this same bad bearing in their designs.
Did them mention that the new part is upgraded; are newer models upgraded from factory; can the problem be expected to return after several years?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts