Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Here are for the Canadian dealers, information about the 2020 HEV and PHEV models.

Besides the new headlights, grille and wheels highlight exterior changes and more Advanced Driver Assistance Systems and added tech upgrades in certain models, Red color "runaway red" is back and the Expresso color is out for 2020.

The prices are "up" between 230$ to 1700$ (Canadian ) vs the 2019 models and color charge is 250$ (except the black color = 0$)

MSRP Pricing of the 2020 Niro Hybrid (DE HEV) is set at:
L HEV $26,595
EX HEV $28,995
EX Premium HEV $31,495
SX Touring HEV $34,995

MSRP Pricing of the 2020 Niro Plug-in Hybrid (DE PHEV) is set at:
EX Premium PHEV $35,695
SX Touring PHEV $37,995

Some dealers has already received their PHEV SX model, but no HEV yet!...

** No official informations about the US models (prices, specs, brochures) are out yes!

Attachments

Reactions: Spiritwalker2222

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for posting. Looks like the PHEV EX Premium is identical except for adaptive cruise control and LKA, which I didn't want and adds to the price of the car.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Interesting that Canada and the US both have a PHEV EX Premium trim, but in the US it's the top trim while it's the base in Canada. And they're really the same trim overall. Can't imagine why they would increase their costs to badge them differently for the two countries. I could understand if we were on different continents, but really?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Kind of disappointing Kia didn’t try to increase battery capacity even slightly for the 2020 refresh. A bump to 29-30 would make it competitive with the upcoming Escape PHEV. It’s silly that Toyota and Ford are about to release their flagship crossovers with PHEV ranges that are larger than the Niro’s. When Chevy released the Volt in 2011, there was a capacity boost in 2013, 2015, and a big one in 2016 with their 2nd gen.
Kia will need to step up quickly with a more competitive Niro otherwise it’s going to get killed by the RAV4 Prime and Escape PHEV.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
The one thing I'll mention about the Escape and RAV4 is they are noticeably larger than the Niro, so potentially more space for a larger battery. And the RAV4 Prime will have a heat pump as well. But I too would have liked to see a bit of a range boost from the 2020 Niro. Since I have seen 30 miles with HVAC without hyper-miling, even if they could have added another .5 kWh to the battery would have been valuable.

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't imagine why they would increase their costs to badge them differently for the two countries. I could understand if we were on different continents, but really?
This is why i have alway's said that Kia (country) are not affiliated from one to the other! each country has thier own "trim" name and options and versions... this is why i alway's look at alot of kia's websites to get more info on the Niros!

Take Mexico, only 1 model and 1 trim level of the Niro for 2020.. an HEV (like the Touring in the US and SX Touring in Canada)

·
Registered
47 Posts
So the biggest thing for me is that they actually have the same wheel design in all alloy without the plastic cover as std on the Plug in and as an option on the HEV models. I noticed when I opened the HEV brochure and it shows both types. No mention of the optional paddle shifters to fine tune the re gen. which is the only other thing i would've like on my 2019. not sure the lane following technology is any more use than the LKA unless you can leave your hands off the wheel for more than 15 seconds.

Looked at the Specs of the Rav 4 Prime and it's more of a Sorento replacement for me as it may have a bigger battery but it also retains the V6 engine which isn't very frugal in town compared to the 1.6. it does have AWD which i would like. i'll still await the Sorento PHEV specs though next month.
Don't think the Escape is going to be much of an improvement either. Still FWD in the plug in variant and will have a larger gas engine. Great if you want to use more gas but not if you want to save money. 30 miles of range isn't significantly better, and we'll have to see how cold weather affects that claimed max range. it is a lot better looking than the outgoing model though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for posting. Looks like the PHEV EX Premium is identical except for adaptive cruise control and LKA, which I didn't want and adds to the price of the car.
Adaptive cruise control is one of the best things i've ever had. Driving in traffic to Vancouver from the valley you can set it at your max speed and it will take you right down to zero if needed. the reduction of stress I've experienced on the 2 trips I've used it on were worth it. it's definitely one of the better systems out there. If you set it to mid way , it also reduces the gap enough that people won't think you're leaving gaps for them.

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No mention of the optional paddle shifters to fine tune the re gen
Wont be available on the Canadian HEV and PHEV 2020... And no mention so far on the US model! (no official brochure has been release yet)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I really like the wheels (envy).
Are those prices Loonies or USD? If Loonies that's quite a good deal compared to the a similarly equipped US model. USD is worth 1.32 in CDN. So that would make the CDN SX Touring PHEV @ $37,995 just $28,737. I don't know what the new US tariff would be on a new car purchase from CDN but $9,000 USD discount. For any American living within a few hundred miles of Canada, might be worth a trip north o de border!

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are those prices Loonies or USD? If Loonies that's quite a good deal compared to the a similarly equipped US model. USD is worth 1.32 in CDN. So that would make the CDN SX Touring PHEV @ $37,995 just $28,737. I don't know what the new US tariff would be on a new car purchase from CDN but $9,000 USD discount. For any American living within a few hundred miles of Canada, might be worth a trip north o de border!
@Dovidan, as we speak, the difference in canadian $ is 230$ more for a 2020 PHEV SX Touring vs a 2019 same model and trim.!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The tariff is negligible. The big issue is with emissions and safety certification. Also, Canadian Kia dealers will only sell to Canadian residents. That stopped me from exploring further. Technically, you also may not be able to get warranty service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You would be better to check about warranty of the car? It could de not applied the same if you buy in a different country?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

Here are for the Canadian dealers, information about the 2020 HEV and PHEV models.

Besides the new headlights, grille and wheels highlight exterior changes and more Advanced Driver Assistance Systems and added tech upgrades in certain models, Red color "runaway red" is back and the Expresso color is out for 2020.

The prices are "up" between 230$ to 1700$ (Canadian ) vs the 2019 models and color charge is 250$ (except the black color = 0$)

MSRP Pricing of the 2020 Niro Hybrid (DE HEV) is set at:
L HEV $26,595
EX HEV $28,995
EX Premium HEV $31,495
SX Touring HEV $34,995

MSRP Pricing of the 2020 Niro Plug-in Hybrid (DE PHEV) is set at:
EX Premium PHEV $35,695
SX Touring PHEV $37,995

Some dealers has already received their PHEV SX model, but no HEV yet!...

** No official informations about the US models (prices, specs, brochures) are out yes!
==========================================

What I like in this Canadian section is we can talk in the Metric system! Also this forum’s section would be more international with the Metric System. (y) 👏👏👏👏👏👏

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Only dollars have been discussed in this thread. Metric dollars? I don't know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only dollars have been discussed in this thread. Metric dollars? I don't know.
===========
Oh! I see, you want to be local only (USA)! The USA is the only country in the world not to use the metric system! And mist the chance to be more international! :(
But the rest of the forum is a great information place to learn more about those cars.
Great forum!(y):)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Maybe you should start a new thread about USA stupidity - and I'll agree with you there. My point was that the metric system is off topic in this thread.

·
Registered
691 Posts
===========
Oh! I see, you want to be local only (USA)! The USA is the only country in the world not to use the metric system! And mist the chance to be more international! :(
But the rest of the forum is a great information place to learn more about those cars.
Great forum!(y):)
Not sure if serious but we have members here from around the world and we seem to get along just fine despite the constant unit conversions. Also, I'm an engineer so I use the metric system all the time for work, however, I often find the Imperial system more useful for day to day measurements. Some examples:
  • Distance: Around the house feet and inches are much more useful than meters and centimeters.
  • Temperature: Fahrenheit degrees are much more aligned with humans than Celsius. 0F is cold and 100F is hot. By comparison, 0C is mildly chilly and 100C is literally boiling. The superiority of the Fahrenheit system is clear from this handy conversion table:
    • Scale0100
      FahrenheitColdHot
      CelsiusColdDead
      KelvinDeadDead
      RankineDeadDead
Therefore, the Imperial system is clearly superior to the metric system for daily life. You can't argue with science! 😁

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
@Claude B. , it does not say where you are from in Canada, but if you were born before 1976, Canada was living in the imperial system with gallons, miles and others! (just saying)

Like you say, this forum is more an international site, and since 60% of our members are from the USA, i alway's write infos in Metric, but alway's insert the Imperial info at the same time between ( )...

Hope you like your Niro, talk about yours ! color, version, etc.. :)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Hope you like your Niro, talok about yours ! color, version, etc.. :)
And of course how many liters per centimeter (centimetre), and foot room in millimeters (millimetres). Don't forget acceleration in metres per second squared (my personal favorite).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts