Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while other countries get a switch to turn off the incredibly loud reverse chime, and all of VESS, we in the US do not have this option.
Economies of scale being what they are, Kia did not make a different wiring harness for the US cars, so it turns out the wires extend all the way to the 'crash pad' switch assembly, although there is no switch. By examining the factory wiring diagrams, there is a blue with a black stripe wire that runs to the connector that when momentarily grounded, disables the VESS system, until you push it again or turn the vehicle off and on again.

I will put the wiring diagrams at the end as they are only for understanding what is happening.

First you need to pull the crash pad switch panel out.

To do this you need to start with the door aperture trim panel, which will pop out with a trim tool or carefully with a screwdriver. It is retained by the door seal, but you can leave it tucked in

The two screws seen here backed out need to be removed. The lower panel that contains the fuse box door can be pulled out and down without totally removing it. Then the switch panel can be pulled out, you can get some purchase with your fingers between the steering column area. If you haven't removed newer car trim, it takes a good pull but do be a bit careful

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once the switch panel is out you can see the connector on the back of the switch assembly. This is connector M26 on the wiring diagrams. There is a blue wire with a black stripe that needs to be tied into. I used these:

McMaster-Carr

The snap onto the wire and allow a 1/4 male quick disconnect to plug onto it

The Blue/black wire is on pin 9 of the connector. Ground is a black wire on pin 24

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can use whatever switch you choose, and mount it wherever you want. IT must be momentary. Press once with the car on and the VESS [fwd and reverse] is off, press again and it is back on again.
A latching switch[that works like your basic light switch] will not work, the system will revert to 'on'

Something like this:
McMaster-Carr
Would work. Drill a hole in maybe the fuse cover and pop it through

Something like this
Amazon.com: 4 Pin Marine Grade ON-Off-ON/Open-Close/in-Out Momentary Rocker Switch with Blue LED Light and Etched Arrow Symbols DC 12V/20A, 24V/10A from U.S. SOLID: Industrial & Scientific

Might be cool with an LED you can tap into the pink wire on pin 10 and the LED should light when you defeat the VESS

That is it

My switch is just hanging there now, I have to find a permanent spot for it
I have ideas to have it just shut off the reverse chime, and to do that access to the reverse circuit is required.
There is a connector nearby 'JM03" forward and above the fusebox

In the center of this image is a connector with 3 brown wires[pins 30,31,32] and a bunch of gray wires, the 3 brown wires are all reverse light wires. You can see I have attached one of the red taps to the brown wire.
I have not figured out a way to automate the reverse defeat, but I am thinking about it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Dude, that's awesome. This is why this forum exists. Raising a glass to you tonight. 👍

·
Registered
123 Posts
My US 2018 PHEV does not have a loud chime, it's barely audible. You have to be standing directly behind the vehicle to hear it. Don't know why it's different on others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thank you.
My neighbors thank you.
The random person on the sidewalk who jumps in fright when I back up thanks you.
The folks in parking lots who stare in confusion as I back out of a space thanks you.
The parent of the child who asks their parent "why is that car making that loud noise??" thanks you.
You, random internet stranger, are my hero!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it really is a group effort

The daring and lovely Ms Ko who yanked the front bumper off her brand new Niro showed that the wires were in the nose harness, and Greg E showed that they were in the switch harness, even if he didn't believe it himself, and I just paid for the manual so I could work through the wiring diagram

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,661 Posts
My US 2018 PHEV does not have a loud chime, it's barely audible. You have to be standing directly behind the vehicle to hear it. Don't know why it's different on others.
The '19 is the same way. But for 2020 it apparently has gotten obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much for your effort. Does your method work for the 2020 Niro hybrid version as well as the EV version?
I don't know, if it has the same system, I imagine it would.

Pulling that switch panel is not a big adventure, if you shoot a pic of the wiring maybe we can figure it out.

I only have the wiring diagrams for the EV, so I cannot be sure

·
Registered
7 Posts

Pulling that switch panel is not a big adventure, if you shoot a pic of the wiring maybe we can figure it out.

Photos of my 2020 Niro Hybrid EX Premium attached - face-on of the fuse block and the inside of the fuse block cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have to pull the actual switch panel, a little prying 2 screws, to see the back of the connector

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to pull the actual switch panel, a little prying 2 screws, to see the back of the connector
Pardon me for what may be a silly question, but to just pull the switch panel out to observe and photograph the back of the connector, are any special electrical precautions needed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pardon me for what may be a silly question, but to just pull the switch panel out to observe and photograph the back of the connector, are any special electrical precautions needed?
Not as far as you know...........

It s just 12 volt stuff, obviously be careful it is a new car and all, but there is nothing there that should cause you any trouble. you can run the car with the connector disconnected it doesn't seem to bother anything but the functions on the switch

1 - 20 of 32 Posts