Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not as far as you know...........

It s just 12 volt stuff, obviously be careful it is a new car and all, but there is nothing there that should cause you any trouble. you can run the car with the connector disconnected it doesn't seem to bother anything but the functions on the switch
OK, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not as far as you know...........

It s just 12 volt stuff, obviously be careful it is a new car and all, but there is nothing there that should cause you any trouble. you can run the car with the connector disconnected it doesn't seem to bother anything but the functions on the switch
See photos below - It looks to me like the wiring matches your EV - black at pin 24 and blue/black at pin 9. Do you agree?
IMG-1343.png
IMG-1345.png

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It appears to be missing a few wires, but that is no doubt the difference between EV and PHEV. I would say go for it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sstr Maria

I think it was my fault ... :rolleyes:I complained to them about it back in 2017, and finally they heard me.😁 I honestly hoped that it would be a recall campaign, but it did not happen and I am disappointed, and the owners of Niro 2020 are annoyed by the too loud and unregulated sound of VESS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So while other countries get a switch to turn off the incredibly loud reverse chime, and all of VESS, we in the US do not have this option.
Economies of scale being what they are, Kia did not make a different wiring harness for the US cars, so it turns out the wires extend all the way to the 'crash pad' switch assembly, although there is no switch. By examining the factory wiring diagrams, there is a blue with a black stripe wire that runs to the connector that when momentarily grounded, disables the VESS system, until you push it again or turn the vehicle off and on again.

I will put the wiring diagrams at the end as they are only for understanding what is happening.

First you need to pull the crash pad switch panel out.

To do this you need to start with the door aperture trim panel, which will pop out with a trim tool or carefully with a screwdriver. It is retained by the door seal, but you can leave it tucked in

View attachment 6843
The two screws seen here backed out need to be removed. The lower panel that contains the fuse box door can be pulled out and down without totally removing it. Then the switch panel can be pulled out, you can get some purchase with your fingers between the steering column area. If you haven't removed newer car trim, it takes a good pull but do be a bit careful
I was able to put in a non-invasive bypass using the fusebox. Rigged a momentary switch that plugs into Module 4 fuse. Easy to plug in and remove when needed. Just swap out the fuse with the switch that uses a fuse as the plug. I was able to clip switch to fusebox cover slot. The switch wiring has the same fuse in in to fuse is not defeated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
While it takes a few minutes longer, and two screws, accessing the wires does not affect any other systems

I am starting to see the advantage of having an LED to indicate when it is defeated, as I forget if I pushed the button or not, so I may upgrade to an LED switch

·
Registered
7 Posts
While it takes a few minutes longer, and two screws, accessing the wires does not affect any other systems

I am starting to see the advantage of having an LED to indicate when it is defeated, as I forget if I pushed the button or not, so I may upgrade to an LED switch
Wondering about a few things:
1) I like the idea of an LED switch.
2) I am sure doing this will violate the Kia warranty - your thoughts?
3) With 2) above in mind, I want to install something non-destructively that can be easily removed come time for vehicle servicing and leave no trace. What about a carefully done fuse tap at the memory 2 location in the fuse block for the hot leg into the SPST-NO switch. Then the other leg of the SPST-NO switch needs to find a ground? Any good ground location recommendations?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Not unless Kia proves that your modification caused a specific otherwise warrantied failure. Frankly, adding an LED and causing such a failure would be laughable and easily disproven. There is a small chance that it could throw a CANBUS error - which doesn't cause any damage except to the owner who has to look at annoying warning dialog boxes. Even that seem unlikely here but can be fixed with a resistor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
3) With 2) above in mind, I want to install something non-destructively that can be easily removed come time for vehicle servicing and leave no trace. What about a carefully done fuse tap at the memory 2 location in the fuse block for the hot leg into the SPST-NO switch. Then the other leg of the SPST-NO switch needs to find a ground? Any good ground location recommendations?
By adding your own switch, you are only using the wires for the purpose for which they are intended. It is protected by a fuse, so I would think you would have difficulty getting warranty service for that part of the circuit, but otherwise, it affects nothing.
Adding the switch you suggest shuts off more than the VESS, and does something not intended. Actually I think what you suggest would simply blow that fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a Niro hybrid (2021) and discovered the reverse "chime". I find it rather timid compared to what I had installed on my '03 Ford Cmax; that sounded like a 1952 International dump truck; yet still people would walk behind my car with the alarm sounding.

I may look for a strobe light I can add. 🤣

·
Registered
3 Posts
The method i used, swapping out a fuse with one with a momentary switch attached, is noninvasive and can be removed and original fuse put back in when needed. So should not violate waranty. Also, switch has to be actively pressed to open circuit and so closes back when you depress it. You must turn off and back on the motor to reset the error tho but only takess a moment to do that before you drive away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The method i used, swapping out a fuse with one with a momentary switch attached, is noninvasive and can be removed and original fuse put back in when needed. So should not violate waranty. Also, switch has to be actively pressed to open circuit and so closes back when you depress it. You must turn off and back on the motor to reset the error tho but only takess a moment to do that before you drive away.
Well, to each his own, but it is hard to see how using a circuit as it was intended would void the warranty
Pretty sure my mod would be hard to detect once the switch was removed, and it is possible to do it without permanently changing the wiring, but not worth the trouble.
And it causes no errors.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts