Kia Niro Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
445 Posts
Yes there is,

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says on its website Thursday that the cars and SUVs have what Tesla calls a "Boombox" function that allows drivers to play sounds while the vehicles are moving. This violates federal safety standards that require pedestrian warning noises for electric cars, which make little noise when traveling, the agency says."

Electric Vehicles must have warning noises when traveling.

Tesla recalls 579,000 vehicles over "Boombox" noise hazard (msn.com)

My posts were meant for responsible individuals who might not have been aware of the law and requirements around the VESS. This lets them know the law and the reasons for it.

Once an individual know the reasons for the law and the requirements it is more a question of an individuals character if they obey the law or not. Kind of like using your turn signal or stopping at a stop sign .

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
That is a manufacturing requirement, no law against consumer modification.
I suspect that it might be considered similar to someone defeating any sort of emissions control. If they find the owner had modified it contrary to the regulation, fines could be possible. Depends on the complete wording of the law I suppose.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says on its website Thursday that the cars and SUVs have what Tesla calls a "Boombox" function that allows drivers to play sounds while the vehicles are moving. This violates federal safety standards that require pedestrian warning noises for electric cars, which make little noise when traveling, the agency says."
Which is supplied by manufacturer. Consumers are free to install a huge stereo system.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I suspect that it might be considered similar to someone defeating any sort of emissions control. If they find the owner had modified it contrary to the regulation, fines could be possible. Depends on the complete wording of the law I suppose.
Well, EPA rules versus NHTSA. That said, I don't think the EPA enforces consumer changes either. States that inspect cars might. For the most part, very few modify emissions systems on cars - sometimes to avoid the expense of replacing a catalytic converter. Diesel truck owners on the other hand seem to love alterations that allow coal rolling.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
That said, I don't think the EPA enforces consumer changes either.
Oh yeah. They've fined some of those coal roller enablers big time for selling the software/equipment deletes that violate EPA requirements. Whether they've ever gone after an end user at the federal level, I can't say for certain.

Reactions: rcnesneg

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
445 Posts
Tesla Issues 2nd Recall For Obstructing Pedestrian Warning – CBS Detroit (cbslocal.com)

"“Boombox” allowed drivers to play preset or custom sounds while the vehicles are moving. This violated federal safety standards that require pedestrian warning noises for electric cars, which make little noise when in motion."

"NHTSA said that in 2010, Congress required electric and hybrid vehicles to make pedestrian warning noises. The law required agency rules to stop manufacturers from allowing anyone other than an automaker or dealer to modify the pedestrian alert sounds, "

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Oh yeah. They've fined some of those coal roller enablers big time for selling the software/equipment deletes that violate EPA requirements. Whether they've ever gone after an end user at the federal level, I can't say for certain.
Not at any end user at the federal level, and despite a plethora of links above about this, no reports of actual users fined by states (one link says Trump made it harder to go after end users). In states with emissions inspection, most owners with modified trucks will simply revert their device settings to avoid detection. While I believe that highway patrol in those states may be able to take action after observing such behavior, pretty much truck owners have carte blanche to break the law. As shown by how many defeat devices have been sold. Sad, especially reading about a group of cyclists on one of above links (who coal rollers love to smoke - speaking from personal experience here) who were severely injured when enveloped in dark smoke.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Johnxyz has a good point about NHTSA law. So when we go silent, we go at our own risk. My wife turns on the sound in public parking lots. But we turn it off in our garage for our 6am departure. I mean we still look for pedestrians like we did in the old days.

The risk I see is summed up by rcnesneg above:

Pulling a fuse is temporary. Installing Wire Taps makes a permanent mark and invites oxidation. Then add long-term vibration. Wire tap risks are summed up here: The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors | Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

What I think about is--- if I must bring my car in for a warranty repair. I don’t want KIA to state, “You modified a wiring harness. That’s why your wire broke and thus the warranty is void.”

With a fuse, I just have to put it back in before I take the vehicle for a warranty repair. The drawback with my method (and thus the pro for your method) is I have to make sure the fuse is in when I DC fast charge (hence the series switch).
This would be relevant if the wires did anything without the mod Or if they were outside like in a motorcycle.
The sole failure mode to this mod in the vanishingly small chance of oxidation is that the mod will stop working.
The wire breaks, the mod doesn't work

Compare that to 'You modified the battery management system, thus your warranty on the battery is void'

I would not under any circumstances recommend your mod because you do not know all the consequences of your action, where we know exactly the consequences for this mod.
This mod makes the system work as it is intended[in other markets]
If you do not like wire taps, you can chose another method

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
53 Posts
This would be relevant if the wires did anything without the mod Or if they were outside like in a motorcycle.
The sole failure mode to this mod in the vanishingly small chance of oxidation is that the mod will stop working.
The wire breaks, the mod doesn't work

Compare that to 'You modified the battery management system, thus your warranty on the battery is void'

I would not under any circumstances recommend your mod because you do not know all the consequences of your action, where we know exactly the consequences for this mod.
This mod makes the system work as it is intended[in other markets]
If you do not like wire taps, you can chose another method
If KIA sees any hint of a modification, they have all the right to say "This voids the warranty". And you can argue all you want with them and 'prove' that you're right. But if the ground wire breaks because of the external splice, KIA can still claim "Customer modification voids warranty". If that ground wire breaks, how many circuits are affected?
BTW, now we do know all the consequences of pulling that Memory 2 fuse. The sound and DC rapid charge fan is disabled. And thus it's helpful to put a switch in series with the fuse.
Every method has its pros and cons. You just have to weigh your risks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
If KIA sees any hint of a modification, they have all the right to say "This voids the warranty". And you can argue all you want with them and 'prove' that you're right. But if the ground wire breaks because of the external splice, KIA can still claim "Customer modification voids warranty". If that ground wire breaks, how many circuits are affected?
BTW, now we do know all the consequences of pulling that Memory 2 fuse. The sound and DC rapid charge fan is disabled. And thus it's helpful to put a switch in series with the fuse.
Every method has its pros and cons. You just have to weigh your risks.
No,no they don't

They need to have a reason to do it.

Using a system in a way it was designed would not lead to any issue, no less a denial of warranty

defeating the BMS however, is quite likely to cause some kind of problem

The ground wire affects the switches, so if your switches died and you tried to get it fixed under warranty, then yes, that would be a problem

Compared to leaving your switch on actually affecting the BMS

All because you are afraid to connect to a wire that serves no other purpose, and making do its intended purpose

Sorry, this is not even a remote consideration

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV EX
2 Posts
Has anyone been able to get a part number for the VESS factory switch used in Europe? I think it may be on the older 2020 /2021 models since the Europe guys have said it is not on the 2022 EV.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
165 Posts
Has anyone been able to get a part number for the VESS factory switch used in Europe? I think it may be on the older 2020 /2021 models since the Europe guys have said it is not on the 2022 EV.
I'd like to get this switch and install it in the switch panel to replace that blank. For decoration purposes only obviously

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
165 Posts
Here are some possibilities: 2018 Niro EV 93700Q4000WK 93700Q4000WK INTERRUPTOR PARA KIA NIRO / / | eBay

Double switch 93700Q4010WK

May not fit but promising KIA 93700-G5260WK / 93700G5260WK NIRO 2016 Controller/switches

I will see what I can find. Unfortunately it uses the 5-switch part not the 4-switch part.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
165 Posts
Hey all, so European switch panels seem to have the same pinout and function regardless of button location. They are 100% plug and play with the US cars. All functions work correctly regardless of button position. The only thing that doesn't work is the headlight height adjuster wheel since that isn't supported in the US. The scroll wheel just doesn't do anything.

Please note, some Niros have 4 button slots and some have 5. Make sure you get one that fits in the same dash hole (same number of button slots.)

Camera accessory Gadget Laptop accessory Office equipment Font
Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle Auto part

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
Does that mean if you swap the switch panel the VESS control works without any further configuration?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, so European switch panels seem to have the same pinout and function regardless of button location. They are 100% plug and play with the US cars. All functions work correctly regardless of button position. The only thing that doesn't work is the headlight height adjuster wheel since that isn't supported in the US. The scroll wheel just doesn't do anything.

Please note, some Niros have 4 button slots and some have 5. Make sure you get one that fits in the same dash hole (same number of button slots.)

View attachment 7519 View attachment 7520
You don’t happen to have a part number for this golden little item?

61 - 80 of 94 Posts