Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would like to share the story of the bad luck I have had with my 2020 Kia Niro EV EX, to see whether I am the unluckiest owner or this is a more common issue than known.
I had dreamed of purchasing a Niro EV since I bought a used 2015 Nissan Leaf. I got the 2020 Niro EV EX at the end of January of this year. With the pandemic, I did not get to drive it much, though, so I was really looking forward to a road trip with it. I have not been able to do anything of the sort because the car has experienced a massive failure and has been sitting at the closest Kia dealership since.
I had managed to put only 500 miles on the car by early July, when, on a hot afternoon, a sensor started recording motor overheating, gave me "the turtle" and cut power. I stopped, turned it off and back on, and everything was fine--for a day. Then it happened again and the power reduction became permanent and independently of external temperature.
I managed to drive the car to the closest Kia dealership, 35 miles from where I live, at 65 mph on the freeway on flat ground but speed limited at 45 when uphill. After two weeks of testing, Kia agreed with the local technician that it needs a new drive motor. The motor has been ordered and the dealership is awaiting delivery to attempt replacement, which is a procedure they have never done on an EV.
I had read that the E710 installed in some Niro EVs (including mine) is prone to producing a clicking noise and has been replaced by a different motor (E711 or E712, if I am not mistaken) in newer models but have found nothing about a case like mine.
Has any other Niro EV current or past owner in this forum experienced anything like this? If you went through a similar issue, how did things work out? Has the car had any additional problems after that was fixed?
Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long post and for any feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found out this forum and unfortunately, you are not alone!

A similar issue happens to my 2020 Niro EX EV at ~1100 miles. The car could not even start, with several warning lights showing error messages. We were 50 miles away from home and had to find our way back, as the KIA consumer service provides nothing! We were just glad that this malfunction did not happen while we were driving...

The car was towed to the dealership and we were told that roadside assistance was not in our package, which contradicts the information from the dealership. Hopefully we will got that reimbursed.

The car has been with the dealership for 1.5 months now. We did not get a loaner car then. They were all out because of other recalls and delay in shipping. We were suggested to rent a car ourselves and file for reimbursement later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the e-Niro. I got one of the first to come into France in March 2019. Apart from the passenger side wing mirror no longer folding back when I lock the car it has been faultless after 47,000 km. I am a Brit living in France but I am also a member of the UK e-Niro Facebook group. This has over 2,000 members and there have been a few reports of failing motors, all happening in the first few weeks of ownership, just thought I would share that as your case is not unique. The E710 seems to be the culprit and apparently the E711/712 is a better unit. Hopefully your dealer will see you right with the 7 year warranty. We love this car and have been really pleased with it for local journeys but also long road trips to the UK and Switzerland. It’s rapid charging speed is looking a bit ‘old’ now compared to the new tech 800 v systems but the range of the car is more than I can drive in one sitting and a 20 minute break on a rapid charger has always allowed us to finish our journey comfortably. Good luck with the car when you get it back.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
Can you discuss with the dealer to trade-in your new car, with several issues, with another one e.g. Niro 2022? It does not make sense to spend significant amount of time in repair.

Engine failure looks to be a major terrific issue from design or quiality control steps and it is their fault. It can be fatal, if it can happen at the middle of highway. If you live in California, you may have a strong case to request reimbursement.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective but most manufacturing defects are discovered shortly after purchase. Good in that you may still have another vehicle to use and have not yet settled comfortably into a new car. Good that the warranty is still active. Bad in that we all want 100% reliability throughout the (extra long) lifespan and no one can guarantee that no matter the warranty. Personally I take some comfort when I buy a new device and get through the first couple of weeks with no issues. But sure, some defects show up later. Like the Bolt's battery pack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the KIA consumer service provides nothing! We were just glad that this malfunction did not happen while we were driving...

The car was towed to the dealership and we were told that roadside assistance was not in our package, which contradicts the information from the dealership. Hopefully we will got that reimbursed.

The car has been with the dealership for 1.5 months now. We did not get a loaner car then. They were all out because of other recalls and delay in shipping. We were suggested to rent a car ourselves and file for reimbursement later.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble, but your post is sort of confusing.

You said Kia consumer service provides nothing, and you were told Roadside Assistance was not in your "package". What "package" are you referring to? When you called Kia consumer service, what did they tell you? Not sure why you called them rather than Roadside Service, but if you called consumer service in error, one would think they would just refer you to Roadside Service.

Given you were denied Roadside Assistance, who arranged for your car to be towed to the dealer? If you paid for that out of pocket because you were incorrectly denied Roadside Service, I have to think Kia will reimburse you.

Assuming you purchased or leased your car from an authorized dealer in the U.S., clearly your car is covered by Roadside Service. The details and their 800 number are in your Warranty Manual. Who told you your car is not covered by Roadside Service?

As for the lack of a loaner car, dealers don't have unlimited supplies. This not unique to Kia. Even at my Mercedes dealer you usually need to reserve one, sometimes weeks in advance. And Kia's Roadside Assistance Plan does not mention loaner cars will be provided, although one would hope they would reimburse you especially given the age of your car and the length of time your car has been in service. As with many car brands, Kia's warranty specifically mentions they are not obligated to provide you with alternate transportation when your car is being repaired. But you might want to look into the specifics of your state's Lemon Law to see if you might be able to motivate them to get your car back to you without further delay.

·
Super Moderator
617 Posts
@elliott, yes you are not the only one in the world with this problem. Alot of 2019 had the same problem with the 710 device, and had the motor changed.
Hope it will resolved all your problems in your bad luck! keep us posted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts