Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Looking for any info on successful upgrades from factory headlights and fog lights to LED?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of people here have said that these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WCSJQYC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AW1WYJTNVLT8R&psc=1
are the best ones. I am getting these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08112QHDF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Stay away from the cheap ones that are $30. I bought two different brands that were $25 and $32 and they burned out within 2 weeks. Make sure you get the correct size which is 9005/HB3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm curious about what it is folks are trying to achieve by replacing the headlights with LEDs. Is it for better lighting, or for consuming less electricity? I don't have a problem with the light produced by the original bulbs in my 2019 Niro EV, but I would consider replacing them with LEDs if the LEDs would significantly improve my mileage while driving at night. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
I'm curious about what it is folks are trying to achieve by replacing the headlights with LEDs. Is it for better lighting, or for consuming less electricity? I don't have a problem with the light produced by the original bulbs in my 2019 Niro EV, but I would consider replacing them with LEDs if the LEDs would significantly improve my mileage while driving at night. Thanks.
Most do it for both. Halogen bulbs get very hot, which is the reason why don't last long. LEDs use less watts which makes them brighter. This is the reason why they last longer and they don't get as hot as the halogen. However, some LEDs on the market are cheaply made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most do it for both. Halogen bulbs get very hot, which is the reason why don't last long. LEDs use less watts which makes them brighter. This is the reason why they last longer and they don't get as hot as the halogen. However, some LEDs on the market are cheaply made.
I agree, I’m doing it for light quality. I upgraded my 2015 Soul to LED from factory and after 1 time driving at night you’ll never go back. Thanks for the info I’ll try them. Do you know which model replaces the fog light on the 2020 EV

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
LEDs use less watts which makes them brighter.
Let's not go that far. LEDs require less power for equivalent light provided. Using less power doesn't make them brighter. They are far more efficient, which is why they use less power. And as mentioned, LEDs release very little heat, which improves its life span as well. LEDs can also be designed to emit a color temperature that is better adapted for night driving, so again you can see better while using less energy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am very pleased with the LEDs I purchased from ALLA Lighting for my 2020 Niro EV EX Premium. I replaced the headlights, fog lights, backup lights, and license plate lights. It is like dim yellow vs bright white. I would call and talk with the representative to make sure you get the proper products. They several bulbs, but for the proper fit in the Kia Niro EV is more limited. I got the FL-BH bulbs for the headlights, but I think they a newer model. I even went to the car dealer to compare my LEDs with a Kia Niro PHEV that has LED headlights. In the salesman opinion, my were brighter, a wider pattern, and slight longer range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am very pleased with the LEDs I purchased from ALLA Lighting for my 2020 Niro EV EX Premium. I replaced the headlights, fog lights, backup lights, and license plate lights. It is like dim yellow vs bright white. I would call and talk with the representative to make sure you get the proper products. They several bulbs, but for the proper fit in the Kia Niro EV is more limited. I got the FL-BH bulbs for the headlights, but I think they a newer model. I even went to the car dealer to compare my LEDs with a Kia Niro PHEV that has LED headlights. In the salesman opinion, my were brighter, a wider pattern, and slight longer range.
I, too, installed the ALLA FL-BH LED headlights. They worked much better than the factory halogens. That being said, I am not happy with the noise the fans make. It seems all LED headlight upgrades have varying degrees of noisy fans that I can hear from within the car at a stop. I have been considering HIDs instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All LEDs with a fan will make some noise, some louder than others. There are those that are fanless, but the reviews showed they are not as bright or last that long. I really can't hear the fans with the windows rolled up and music playing. If the windows were open and music off, I can hear a hum but I always have music playing, so I ignore the fan noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All LEDs with a fan will make some noise, some louder than others. There are those that are fanless, but the reviews showed they are not as bright or last that long. I really can't hear the fans with the windows rolled up and music playing. If the windows were open and music off, I can hear a hum but I always have music playing, so I ignore the fan noise.
The Ultra 2 are expensive but several good reviews from people claiming to have installed them on Niro EV

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I understand. I have tried different brands, including Auxito and SaberPro. The Auxito were probably the quietest, but the SaberPros were the worse in terms of fan noise. HIDs do not require a fan and may actually put out more overall light according to my research since filament placement is perfect relative to the CoBs on LEDs, which are close but not perfect. Also, it will eliminate the shadow lines I see in the LEDs due to the PCB getting in the way of light output and creating a shadow within the projector that you can see.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Ultra 2 are expensive but several good reviews from people claiming to have installed them on Niro EV

You would certainly can't go wrong with a lifetime guarantee and they're rated number one in brightness . I have them in both my headlights and fog lights And the light output is awesome And never blinds anybody .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up doing a ton of research on many, many brands and settled on these. Will update this thread when they get here, install, beam pattern, flickering issues and after a few weeks. Wasn’t going for most powerful, wanted quiet and great reliability/customer service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone decided to replace HIDs with LEDs? I'm looking for increased light output, and increased efficiency would be also appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
Has anyone decided to replace HIDs with LEDs? I'm looking for increased light output, and increased efficiency would be also appreciated.
Most LEDs will have about the same output as an HID, so don't expect any noticeable increase in light output. At least with bulbs that are legal for road use. Efficiency, certainly. Along with lower operating temperatures which might improve bulb life. I've had HIDs in many previous cars, and my last two had factory LED lights. I can't say either the Niro or my Outback (both LEDs) were any brighter than my cars with HIDs. And I doubt the efficiency gains would be noticeable in your car's range. Personally I don't think the cost and labor is worth the effort.

Reactions: davidtm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up doing a ton of research on many, many brands and settled on these. Will update this thread when they get here, install, beam pattern, flickering issues and after a few weeks. Wasn’t going for most powerful, wanted quiet and great reliability/customer service.

So after the hiccup of Alla sending me H11 for the fog lights (the Niro EV is 9006 for the fog lights - same brand as the ones listed here, just the 9006) everything is working perfect. No errors or flickering. Installation took less than 5 min per bulb and all the wiring fit inside the headlight dust covers. If you want LED headlights and fog lights I can’t recommend these more. Also Alla customer service was fast and amazing for the H11/9006 swap (they send new bulbs and included a return label).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts