Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in the mountains in Arizona and had owned a 2017 Niro EX since May of 2017; set the cruise and away we went with exceptional gas mileage mountains or not.
We then purchased a 2020 Touring in December of 2020.
On the way home form Phoenix we have 2 mountain passes to climb up. As soon as we started into the first climb the car slowed 65 mph to 40mph within seconds, before we turned the cruise off. We had to use the gas pedal to get over the mountains.
We then turned the cruise back on when we got over the top and it worked fine until the next climb did it again
We, after advice from the dealership, took the car back .
The dealer tested the Touring and said there was a short in something and the part would not be available and shipped for at least 30 days.
We worked out a deal on Dec14th and started to drive home in a 2020 EX Premium. A beautiful car but you guessed it, the same thing happened again; the cruise stopped.
We were told to bring the EX down when the part comes in for repair at that time to see if it's the same problem.
We called on Jan 6th to make sure we were not lost in the shuffle and talked to the service manager. He stated the part for the Touring was for UVO system and he also talked to some consumer [something or other] and that there is nothing that can be done because of all the changes made to the transmission and other components since the 17. He suggested to "USE THE GAS PEDAL" !! He also stated there was another individual living in or Town that had a different model Kia hybrid that did the same thing. Any help ?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,381 Posts
While mine is a '19, I can't say that is acceptable for any vehicle. Mine will even start the ICE if EV power alone can't maintain the speed. Since yours is the standard hybrid, there's no way that should be happening. I can't believe that's considered "normal" for a '20. I'd get on the phone to Kia owners support and start bending their ear.

I've crossed mountain passes here in WA several times with my Niro. While going over one pass here isn't possible using cruise control, as it's too windy and narrow, the other two are on I-90 and SR-18, both wide and with reasonable curves, and CC will keep it at the set speed all the way up.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree with @atc98092. I've driven my Niro in the Appalachian mountains and had no issues with the CC maintaining speed. It'll definitely kick in the ICE when needed and it's not shy about downshifting. It can actually get kinda loud on a long steep incline.

·
Super Moderator
1,381 Posts
I agree with @atc98092. I've driven my Niro in the Appalachian mountains and had no issues with the CC maintaining speed. It'll definitely kick in the ICE when needed and it's not shy about downshifting. It can actually get kinda loud on a long steep incline.
When I encounter that scenario, I usually switch over to Sport mode and shift to a higher gear. I watch the power meter and find the gear that shows the least power being used. That's usually at least one gear higher than the computer thinks it needs.

@JimB it might be helpful to take it to a different dealer, if that's practical. It doesn't sound like the one you're dealing with completely understands hybrids.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I encounter that scenario, I usually switch over to Sport mode and shift to a higher gear. I watch the power meter and find the gear that shows the least power being used. That's usually at least one gear higher than the computer thinks it needs.
I'll usually just cancel the cruise and go manual. Much like using Sport to force an upshift I can often maintain speed myself in a higher gear just using a bit less throttle than the CC did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We live in the mountains in Arizona and had owned a 2017 Niro EX since May of 2017; set the cruise and away we went with exceptional gas mileage mountains or not.
We then purchased a 2020 Touring in December of 2020.
On the way home form Phoenix we have 2 mountain passes to climb up. As soon as we started into the first climb the car slowed 65 mph to 40mph within seconds, before we turned the cruise off. We had to use the gas pedal to get over the mountains.
We then turned the cruise back on when we got over the top and it worked fine until the next climb did it again
We, after advice from the dealership, took the car back .
The dealer tested the Touring and said there was a short in something and the part would not be available and shipped for at least 30 days.
We worked out a deal on Dec14th and started to drive home in a 2020 EX Premium. A beautiful car but you guessed it, the same thing happened again; the cruise stopped.
We were told to bring the EX down when the part comes in for repair at that time to see if it's the same problem.
We called on Jan 6th to make sure we were not lost in the shuffle and talked to the service manager. He stated the part for the Touring was for UVO system and he also talked to some consumer [something or other] and that there is nothing that can be done because of all the changes made to the transmission and other components since the 17. He suggested to "USE THE GAS PEDAL" !! He also stated there was another individual living in or Town that had a different model Kia hybrid that did the same thing. Any help ?
Sent request via email last Wednesday they said they would reply in 48hrs. Today is Saturday no response !!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts

@JimB it might be helpful to take it to a different dealer, if that's practical. It doesn't sound like the one you're dealing with completely understands hybrids.
Yes I agree: pull that Shifter to the Left into manual mode when climbing hills...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a 2019 PHEV and do a long uphill climb to Chiriaco Summit driving on 10 from Palm Springs to Blythe and the smart cruise control does great. It does kick it into gas mode and kills my eco percentage, but keeps up with the other cars.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Your eco driving score doesn't change if you are on cruise control. At least that is how it works in my 2018 HEV. You cannot even access your eco score on CC (which is 90% plus of my driving). Mind you, now that I think about it, that is just on the dash. Not sure if that score can be accessed on the infotainment screen.

·
Super Moderator
1,381 Posts
Your eco driving score doesn't change if you are on cruise control. At least that is how it works in my 2018 HEV. You cannot even access your eco score on CC (which is 90% plus of my driving). Mind you, now that I think about it, that is just on the dash. Not sure if that score can be accessed on the infotainment screen.
Yes, it can. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It,s not losing speed because of power.It will drop like there is a vehicle in front of you coming to a stop with no body in front of you.. I will try the shifter next time we go thru the mountains

·
Registered
239 Posts
It changes in the overall eco score history. I have gotten as high as 20% extreme driving (or whatever the worst rating is) on a 16 hour cross state trip (cruise control set to 73-83 depending on speed limit). Takes about a month of normal eco driving at home to get the percentage back down.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
63 Posts
It,s not losing speed because of power.It will drop like there is a vehicle in front of you coming to a stop with no body in front of you.. I will try the shifter next time we go thru the mountains
That is an interesting perception. I have not had the opportunity with my 2020 to use cruise on a steep grade but will certainly try it some day. Also, don't have any mountain passes where I live.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is the road twisty? Could it have sensed something before you turned that made it slow down?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the road twisty? Could it have sensed something before you turned that made it slow down?
Sorry for the late reply. Today we took it thru the mountains.. I think it is because of no battery charge after climbing for a while. Will find out for sure tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Driving on some of the high elevation and steep uphills on I-40 in NM and AZ last summer, we had a couple instances where our 2019 PHEV couldn't quite maintain 65mph even with the throttle to the floor, when the battery was flat. I guessed some combination of extremely hot ambient temperature and high altitude basically pushed it past what the engine can deliver without any electric assist. Not sure if that's the same issue you're seeing, though, since you say it works fine without cruise control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Driving on some of the high elevation and steep uphills on I-40 in NM and AZ last summer, we had a couple instances where our 2019 PHEV couldn't quite maintain 65mph even with the throttle to the floor, when the battery was flat. I guessed some combination of extremely hot ambient temperature and high altitude basically pushed it past what the engine can deliver without any electric assist. Not sure if that's the same issue you're seeing, though, since you say it works fine without cruise control.
There was 1 bar under 1/4 did it today temp was in 50's.Have a claim in with Kia.May be transmission time will tell.Only tried with cruse on when we turn cruse off still have to redline rpms to get it going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Correct my 2019 PHEV does this at time no big problem for me. My wife thinks I'm breaking hard and give me the eye when it does this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
last july i did a trip from NE Mesa, to Williams, AZ in my 2019 LX hybrid,, total was 428 miles over 3 days, but i managed to average 54.5mpg doing pulse & glide. I don't even like using the CC when driving around the valley and i rarely average less than the stated 51mpg city mpg even when half of my driving is highway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts