Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but it seems it would be related to MPG. Our Niro would always display both EV miles and gasoline miles, and if it had any EV miles, it would use those first. Just recently, even when the battery is fully charged up, the ICE turns on as soon as you start the car, and stays on while (I suppose) the majority of energy is coming from the battery. Does anyone know why this has changed? (I always loved to be driving with no ICE rpms at all...now it doesn't do that.)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can't tell where your from but if your where it's cold the ICE comes on right away to make heat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell where your from but if your where it's cold the ICE comes on right away to make heat.
Well, we are in Eastern NC, so "winter" has been between 40 and 60 F. Not sure we even had the heat on. However, once the engine warms up wouldn't it stop using ICE?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well, we are in Eastern NC, so "winter" has been between 40 and 60 F. Not sure we even had the heat on. However, once the engine warms up wouldn't it stop using ICE?
Yes, it will cycle the ICE whenever the coolant temp is too low to heat the cabin. However whenever the HVAC system is on the ICE can fire up at any time. For example if you have the cabin temp set to say 75 F and the outside temp is 55 F the ICE will fire up. I'm pretty sure the HVAC setpoint temp is the same for both A/C and heating, so if you had it set to a higher value in the summer it will run more once the outside temps drop as it tries to heat the cabin to the target value. If you are only taking short trips you can easily be in a situation where the ICE is running the whole time. Also, the Auto Defog feature can also cause the ICE to run if the system decides it needs to run the defroster. In short, the only way to ensure the the ICE doesn't start on its own is to leave the HVAC completely off. Also if you are in Sport mode the ICE can fire up at any time. I've played around with it and it can start up even at a standstill I assume to warm up the coolant in case it's needed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,385 Posts
60F is more than cold enough to call for heat from the ICE, depending on the temp setting in the HVAC. Turning the HVAC completely off will absolutely take it out of the equation. If HVAC is completely off and the battery has more than 20% state of charge, and the ICE is still starting, then it needs to be looked at by a dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts