Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2020 Niro plug-in. When I plug the car into my home electrical outlet I get a flashing signal on the charging cord that says "Fault" and the car will not charge. I am using a 14 gauge extension cord that should easily handle the current. I will call the dealer, but in the meantime I am wondering if others have had this experience and what I might do about it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just purchased a new 2020 Niro plug-in. When I plug the car into my home electrical outlet I get a flashing signal on the charging cord that says "Fault" and the car will not charge. I am using a 14 gauge extension cord that should easily handle the current. I will call the dealer, but in the meantime I am wondering if others have had this experience and what I might do about it.
I would try a different outlet first and also try it without the extension cord. If the car will charge using a different charger (most dealers have one if they sell PHEVs) then it's likely an issue with the charger and the dealer should replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much! I had tried different extension cords, with the same effect (it is not possible for me to not use an extension), but had not tried a different outlet. A different outlet (indoors) does solve the problem. The outdoor outlet otherwise works, and so I am wondering what the issue would be. Any ideas? I can replace the outlet, but without any idea why it would not work for this charger I am reluctant to do this.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
265 Posts
If I made a service call to your home first thing I would check is the outlet polarity and if it has power. I would then check to see if the outlet is guarded by a ground fault circuit and that the ground fault is properly wired and operational.

After that you would need to check the loads on that particular branch circuit and look at the wiring condition.

This is based on the information you provided. You mention it works on one outlet in the home but not on the outdoor outlet - which points to the outdoor circuit. Some EV chargers do have conflicts with certain types of ground fault circuit breakers.

I am assuming you have checked power on this outlet also.

I would also set the charger for the lowest amp setting possible for charging.

Update: you might also make sure you have a good ground on this circuit - a loose or improper grounding can wreck havoc on some circuitry and the appliance hooked to them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I made a service call to your home first thing I would check is the outlet polarity and if it has power. I would then check to see if the outlet is guarded by a ground fault circuit and that the ground fault is properly wired and operational.

After that you would need to check the loads on that particular branch circuit and look at the wiring condition.

This is based on the information you provided. You mention it works on one outlet in the home but not on the outdoor outlet - which points to the outdoor circuit. Some EV chargers do have conflicts with certain types of ground fault circuit breakers.

I am assuming you have checked power on this outlet also.

I would also set the charger for the lowest amp setting possible for charging.
Thanks a lot for the free advice! All I had noted was that other things plugged into the outlet worked. They do, i.e. there is power. There is little other load on that circuit, but I will check that it is properly grounded, and that the polarity is correct. It does not have a ground fault circuit interrupter, but nor does the outlet that works. Anyway, I have some things to look into, but at least my car is now charging. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,264 Posts
No, I would not consider a 14 gauge extension cord sufficient. The 120v EVSE uses 12 amps, and 14 gauge is rated at 15. That's not a sufficient margin for an extension cord, which because of its length and design will not carry quite as much current. I wouldn't use anything less than 12 gauge, and no longer than 15 feet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i may be misguided, but for temporary attended use whenever i approach the current limit for a particular gauge i’ll feel the cord to see if it’s getting warm. for a permanent or semi-permanent unattended use it isn’t worth risking a fire. strange thing i’ve noticed is that in some cases the cable remains cool but the plug is warm. bad plug?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy an inexpensive outlet tester from a hardware store which will set you back about $15.00. Using LEDs, they can show you what's wrong with the wiring on your outlet, or that everything is OK. Makes diagnosis very easy, and it's not a bad idea to check other outlets that you don't currently think are a problem.

The car chargers are very specific about wanting an outlet that is wired correctly. Very easy to have an open safety ground (green), or swapped hot and neutral, or something else. I virtually guarantee that this will show you that you have one of these problems. Then have an electrician, or a very handy neighbor, resolve the issue.

It's not the charger; it's your home wiring.

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts