Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite 4 weeks and 550 miles into my lease and the check engine light comes on with a "Check active air flap system" message. On top of that my Kia Access app reports a P059F - possible condition with the TPMS. I've been loving the car up to this point, but am concerned I'm already having issues with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
Someone else has also reported this air flap issue. From the sounds of it, they likely got some bad units from their supplier. But it doesn't seem to be widespread at this time, and I believe once it's replaced it was fine for the other owner. I've had mine for 14 months (almost 15) and 12,500 miles, and it has been 100% flawless. The 7500 miles oil change is the only thing I've had done to the car.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
You have the 2019, not the 2020 of which there are a number of these issues already, including two replacements that now have the error code again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took it to the dealer and was told it's a common issue with the '20 models, which due to the new front grill requires a different active air flap system than previous models. Hopefully the part will be in Friday and I can get it installed then. Supposed to hear tomorrow whether that ETA is correct.

The good news is even if the part turns out to be on back order and take some time to arrive, the car is drive-able. Apparently the part does something to improve hybrid efficiency in cold weather when your running the heater - not exactly a situation I'm likely to encounter in central Texas anytime soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a very similar experience. Had my car 2 days when I got the check active air flap system message. Took it to the dealer & they repairEd it. A week and a half later the message began popping up again, and then the additional message about an issue with the TPMS. Took it in this morning to a different dealer since I was out of town, they said it‘s a know issue, this repair should take care of it, the tech says the TPMS message is apparently related somehow to the air flap issue, not the tires as I would have though. I was also told that if the air flaps fail, they default to the open position, so there wouldn’t be a problem driving with the fault. Anyway, time will tell, I’m hoping that’s the last I see of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2020 also purchased in May and have had this issue twice the first time dealer kept car 10 days waiting for parts second time ,yesterday, only had for several hours. This is my 2nd Niro which i love and hope this is not continuing issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new 2020 Kia Niro gas electric hybrid. Had the car a week. Barely driven because the pandemic. Got that warning indicator light turn the car off turned on and got the active air flap message. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
7 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my 2020 PHEV Niro. I hadn't even put 20 miles in it and that message popped up. It took 5 trips to the dealership and 2 air flap motors to fix it. At least the dealership got me a rental while I had to wait for the part to arrive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I posted about this a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday the dealer installed a new software update that we are all hoping will fix the problem. Weird thing was that we had driven about 1500 miles to go to a wedding with no issues, and then the light and message came back shortly after we got home. It certainly seems to be an erratic error. Not sure the update is widely available yet but ask your dealer about it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m scheduled Monday for the new software update, they tell me I’ll be the first at their dealership. Let’s hope the 3rd time’s the charm! I haven’t even had the car a month. I’m holding out hope, it’s my 2nd Niro hybrid and I really liked my first one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my car in the other day and they did replace something but they said they were still waiting on the software update. I just got a call from the dealership today to let me go in Monday morning to get the software update. Yau

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you google for "active air flap", you'll see that people have been reporting problems against Hyundais and Kias since at least 2011 about "active air flap" problems. So it's not unique to the Niro (for whatever that's worth).

It appears to be a Hyundai/Kia technology that improves efficiency by closing an air flap in the front grill when the engine doesn't need extra cooling (letting the wind in through the front grill to cool the radiator and engine introduces turbulence that can subtract from fuel economy). I think I recently saw a post from someone to the effect that the active air flap fails "safe" (meaning that it fails in a way that will hurt your fuel economy but protect your engine from damage from overheating). I hope that's true.

I don't recall anyone reporting this concern against a Niro for model years 2017-2019, so maybe it's unique to the 2020 models.

If you're experiencing this problem, you might want to reconfigure the console display to show you engine temp instead of whatever display you normally look at (I usually look at the fuel economy display). You should be concerned if the engine temp approaches boiling temperature (that's 212 F or 100 C). For a pressurized system, the boiling temp is slightly higher than that, but you should be concerned if you see your Niro's temp approaching those temps. I'm not sure what is normal for the Niro, but I tend to think of normal operating temp as 180F or about 82C.

If you think your car is overheating, one thing you can do to help it cool down is turn on the cabin heat (and the cabin fan, on high). With a conventional car, the other advice would be to pull over and let the engine idle (so that the engine coolant continues to recirculate through the ICE). With the Niro, under normal operating conditions, pulling over will cause the ICE to shut off (and presumably stop circulating the coolant at that point) so I'm not sure that conventional wisdom applies if you think your Niro might be overheating. But certainly if you think your Niro might be overheating, slowing down your driving to allow the ICE to cool off is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you're experiencing this problem, you might want to reconfigure the console display to show you engine temp instead of whatever display you normally look at (I usually look at the fuel economy display). You should be concerned if the engine temp approaches boiling temperature (that's 212 F or 100 C). For a pressurized system, the boiling temp is slightly higher than that, but you should be concerned if you see your Niro's temp approaching those temps. I'm not sure what is normal for the Niro, but I tend to think of normal operating temp as 180F or about 82C.
Note that a lot of cars don't display the coolant temp accurately on the dash. They often show the "optimal" value whenever the actual temp is in the acceptable range. I'm not sure if the Niro does this but If you want to measure the temperature accurately you'll probably need an OBD reader.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sharing my post from Reddit:

2020 Kia Niro Hybrid bought in March and have put 3700km on it. I've searched google and it seems like it will be a warranty fix. Ill be giving the dealership a call tomorrow to find out, but was wondering if any other fellow redditor/Niro owner has experienced this and what their experience was.
I was able to drive my car home from where I was when the warning came on. I monitored the temperature the entire way but it stayed the same throughout. Checked the grill and there didnt seem to be any visible damage or no debris.

Update: Took it to the dealership today. They were able to repair and have the car ready to go, free of charge, within 2 hours. Here's what the techs wrote "Scanned vehicle for codes and found history P059F for AAF stuck closed. Upon inspection and actuation test, all ok. All connections and connectors ok. Found update for AAF improvement. Performed AAF logic improvement for code P059F completed. Cleared history code"

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
7 Posts
Here's what the techs wrote "Scanned vehicle for codes and found history P059F for AAF stuck closed. Upon inspection and actuation test, all ok. All connections and connectors ok. Found update for AAF improvement. Performed AAF logic improvement for code P059F completed. Cleared history code"
They did that twice for me, and I had to come back after a few days with the same issue, so they ended up changing the part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the part replaced twice already it's a defective part. Going to the dealer tomorrow for my third check engine light. I have less than 900 miles on my 2020 Niro EX hybrid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Add me to the list. 2020 LXS HEV and I got the AAF message around 1700 miles. Waiting on parts to arrive at dealer later this week. Hopefully this fixes it

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
After three software attempts that were unsuccessful- the last one lasted 2.5 miles- the dealer put in the new part last week. No problems so far but with the erratic nature of the errors, we will see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had some fix early on then got recall notice and got that fix ... and it just alerted again today. Will call them tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts