Kia Niro Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your dealer sounds a lot more on top of things than mine. Good to know. My car had the parts replaced but apparently not the software reset after replacement so hopefully they did it right this time. If the message does return though I'm doing a lemon law claim.

As far as fuel economy being impacted I can attest to that. My 2017 Niro LX HEV has a lifetime average of 47.5 mpg over 31k miles. In the same driving conditions this 2020 Niro LXS HEV has an average of 42.7mpg over 2.7k+ miles.

When the part was first changed I had just fueled up the car and I did get my highest mpg before I got the message again at 45.7mpg.

I sincerely hope my car is fixed.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Thank you, your experiences have helped me and many others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you, your experiences have helped me and many others.
How's your car doing?

I'm happy to report the trip meter averaged 53+ mpg on my 40 mile drive from work to home. That's on par with my 2017 Niro. The car's gauge overestimates mpg so I'm sure it's more like 47-48mpg in actuality. Still I hadn't seen those kinds of numbers at all from my 2020 LXS. Seems like the air flaps really do have a large impact on fuel economy. I'm still sitting at 190 miles range with this tank. I should be fueling up around Nov. 1st so I'll be sure to report my mpg over this tank

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's great news! Keep us informed. I am still waiting for the new parts and software. I know this makes you feel better about your purchase. Still I expect answers form Kia as to why our time was wasted and the fixes not made BEFORE we drove off the lot?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yes, better increase than I surmised. Makes sense to me now and glad there were not two issues impacting economy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There I go being positive ahead of time. Just had the Check Air Flaps message show up on my way home from IKEA. I won't be going back to my dealer anytime soon. I'm going to get in touch with a lemon law attorney. Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sorry to hear that it came back. Please keep us informed on what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One Step Forward - Five Back!

Revisiting and Updating our situation...the Air Flap issue seems to be resolved but we now have three (3) new specific warnings, UVO failure and erratic climate system. There are less than 450 miles on the clock and 200 of those are trips to the dealership. The wife is terrified of her "driveway queen" and still no contact from Kia corporation.

After replacing the air flap actuator and updating the software the Check Air Flap message vanished. Within hours messages and associate failures or Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA), High Beam Assist (HBA) occurred. Accompanying these were failures of UVO assistance and the climate control system (heat always on).

The wife is terrified of her "driveway queen". The only contact from Kia corporation to date is "Your current Kia Motors Finance Account Statement for your 2020 Kia Niro Phev is now available to view at KMFUSA.com"

·
Registered
10 Posts
About a month ago, after taking the 2020 Niro Phev into the dealer and getting the fourth or fifth update (this one lasted less than 2 miles before the "check air flap" light came on), I asked the tech to please not use us as a guinea pig anymore, but to wait until they had a fix that they were fairly sure would work. He agreed.
Haven't heard from him since! The error started has resumed beeping and I thought maybe I should get in touch with the dealer again, but after hearing your experience perhaps I should leave well enough alone?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would not like paying for a new car and NOT getting a new car experience. I would encourage you with these problems to consult a lemon law lawyer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone else has also reported this air flap issue. From the sounds of it, they likely got some bad units from their supplier. But it doesn't seem to be widespread at this time, and I believe once it's replaced it was fine for the other owner. I've had mine for 14 months (almost 15) and 12,500 miles, and it has been 100% flawless. The 7500 miles oil change is the only thing I've had done to the car.
I Also have a 2020 Kia Niro Premium PEV that I purchased in June it cam from Ft. Lauderdale and the car had the check engine light on as well with the error. I only have 5,000 miles on the vehicle and have had the part replaced twice and 3 software updates. It has been in 4 times to the dealer and a total of 16 days, and has come on again. Unfortunately the dealer can't get to me until 11-23. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I Also have a 2020 Kia Niro Premium PEV that I purchased in June it cam from Ft. Lauderdale and the car had the check engine light on as well with the error. I only have 5,000 miles on the vehicle and have had the part replaced twice and 3 software updates. It has been in 4 times to the dealer and a total of 16 days, and has come on again. Unfortunately the dealer can't get to me until 11-23. Very frustrating.
Check about the utilizing the "lemon law"

61 - 73 of 73 Posts