Kia Niro Forum banner

Do you believe that computer chips will be available if your late model vehicle goes in for repair?

• YES

• NO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2020 Niro EV Premium was great while it lasted:707 miles and 45 days!! We had it for only 45 days before it developed a coolant leak in the Transmission Motherboard.
There are 12 motherboards controlling the drive system. Wonder which one will go next in the 10- 100 Warranty period?
The car has been down for 3 weeks as of, now waiting on new Transmission Motherboard, and they gave us a gas guzzler. Enterprise only has one EV in the AZ region and it is a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid, rented out of Enterprise's exotic car rentals!
With al of the issues at the Ports of entry, no telling how long the car will be down!
All I have to say at this point is, don't buy a car made outside of the US, or your car will be down for who knows how long!!

UPDATE:
Kia America said in a short summary when I called Customer re;ations: China makes the computer chips, On a Slow boat from Korea, Ports are backed up & tied up by protests, COVID issues.

So we get to drive a gas guzzzler , which was not figured in our budget! Since our property is Solarized we bought the EV so we would not have gas costs! The rep said to submit all costs relating to the Issue for reimbursement. I guess they will have to extend the Warranty time also!

Seems like "Recall" issues may be developing! from leaks causing motherboards to short out or burn up

Another Kia Premium bites the dust!

2020 Premium - 900 miles - Check Electrical system

Leased this car at the beginning of June. Put on a grand total of 900 miles. I love this car but this morning it would turn on and then alert me to check the electrical system, which I’m not qualified to do lol, so I had it towed to the dealership.
After a few hours they called to tell me they have a rental car waiting for me at the dealership as my car needs “a new board that controls the entirety of the electrical system” and they have no idea how long this will take to come in and fix.
Are we just guinea pigs for these cars? At only 900 miles should I be expecting things to happen like this often? My wife has a Niro EV EX that we got the same day and I’m nervous about her car now.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
325 Posts
Parts like a motherboard should be able to be shipped by air freight and expedited other ways.

Maybe the lead time is related to the chip shortage or Covid 19.

It would seem that the Dealership working closely with KIA Customer Service could work this out.

Often wonder about the Dealership channels of communication with KIA and Engineering to work out Customer issues. There should be clearly identified paths that Dealers can take to expedited service and parts for the customer.

In these days of zoom meeting and electronic communications there are a wealth of opportunities for a Dealer to access needed resources.

If Doctors and Hospitals can remotely perform lifesaving operations on patients surely a Dealership should be able to access needed parts or engineering expertise through well developed communication paths .

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
The chip shortage is impacting every manufacturer. It doesn't matter if they're made in the US or elsewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tell that to Ford and Chevrolet when they cant get parts either.
At this point the Car's MFG is in Korea: NOT in the US! We really liked our Kia Niro, because we have Solar and when we come home it didn't cost us to charge it up. In our really rally late 70's, we live on Social Security and a verrrry Smallll Disability VA pension. We had to trade in a car and our pick-up truck, to be able to afford the NIRO. We based our budgeted car payments on having the Solar and no gas expenses! The gas car that was authorized and then supplied by Enterprise eats $30 in gas a week at today's gas prices!
I was just informed by Kia Public Relations that I can submit the additional expenses for reimbursement, and a note was made about the aux battery., supposedly to be replaced. So we'll see how that goes!!!
Also I was told, about the computer chip issue, the parts come over by slow boat, and that the docks were all tied up, and then the COVID issue was added.
So maybe in a year or so we'll get our car back!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine is in the body shop having $8200 worth of hail damage repaired. The body shop can't get a roof. I'm stuck driving a Infinity QE80 that gets 20.7 mpg. I drive 60 miles a day. The roof is supposed to be by the 30th.

I can't turn the extra gas in because who would pay, God?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parts like a motherboard should be able to be shipped by air freight and expedited other ways.

Maybe the lead time is related to the chip shortage or Covid 19.

It would seem that the Dealership working closely with KIA Customer Service could work this out.

Often wonder about the Dealership channels of communication with KIA and Engineering to work out Customer issues. There should be clearly identified paths that Dealers can take to expedited service and parts for the customer.

In these days of zoom meeting and electronic communications there are a wealth of opportunities for a Dealer to access needed resources.

If Doctors and Hospitals can remotely perform lifesaving operations on patients surely a Dealership should be able to access needed parts or engineering expertise through well developed communication paths .
WRONG on all of your suggestions! Have fun driving a rental!
Kia America said in a short summary when I called Customer relations: China makes the computer chips, On a Slow boat from Korea, Ports are backed up & tied up by protests, COVID issues.

Another 2020 Premium bites the dust:
2020 Premium - 900 miles - Check Electrical system

Leased this car at the beginning of June. Put on a grand total of 900 miles. I love this car but this morning it would turn on and then alert me to check the electrical system, which I’m not qualified to do lol, so I had it towed to the dealership.
After a few hours they called to tell me they have a rental car waiting for me at the dealership as my car needs “a new board that controls the entirety of the electrical system” and they have no idea how long this will take to come in and fix.
Are we just guinea pigs for these cars? At only 900 miles should I be expecting things to happen like this often? My wife has a Niro EV EX that we got the same day and I’m nervous about her car now.
Mine is in the body shop having $8200 worth of hail damage repaired. The body shop can't get a roof. I'm stuck driving a Infinity QE80 that gets 20.7 mpg. I drive 60 miles a day. The roof is supposed to be by the 30th.

I can't turn the extra gas in because who would pay, God?
For those that live in Hail prone areas; Check out: SUV1 HAIL PROTECTOR Truck and SUV (less than 198 inches).
I have one that I will sell, because it came in after my car got $9000 in hail damage! I sold the car, and we now have an all steel 80'X23' RV cover, with 45 Solar Panels, that also protects our Niro (when and if we ever get it back)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tell that to Ford and Chevrolet when they cant get parts either.
Ford, GM, Chrysler as US based manufactures could contractually outsource their chips to be made in US! It would build more jobs in US and be a lot quicker than waiting on CCP forced labor made chips! FACT: ALL CHINEESE COMPANIES ARE run by and owned by the CCP, whether in China or the US!
The CCP uses our monies that buy their products, to turn around and hack our systems. They also use our monies to pay people within the US to, riot, subvert, and in general to destroy our Nation from within! Without firing a Shot!!. (Communist Manifesto)
Our engineering expertise in automation could be spitting out chips in no time: It's just that US major manufactures want to make and keep a really big profit margin.
As the US Marines say: "GET'ER DONE"!

Supposedly, there is a computer chip manufacturing facility being built just North of Phoenix AZ. in Dove Valley.

If people thought about it,the CCP could have but malware, virus, or who knows what, in the computer chips they built for other countries

·
Registered
2 Posts
i feel your pain. I have a 2020 niro EV and it lasted 3 weeks (900 miles) before it died. The EPCU circuit board is dead and the dealer is waiting for a new one to ship. I had to fight for a loaner, but eventually got one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts