Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Niro EV EX Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone… New here… I just got my 2021 EV Premium a month ago, and I freakin’ LOVE this car! Never thought I could fall in live with a Kia, but ****… this thing is fantastic! Every once in awhile, though, I get an email notification from KIA Connect telling me that “Climate control is now running.” But my car is off, and it’s charging in the garage. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is this just an email bug? Or is there a feature I’m not understanding?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance, and I look forward to being a part of the forum!

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
354 Posts
Not an EV owner but I would suggest the car is charging and the Climate Control comes on to cool/heat the components involved in the car charging and the battery- particularly the battery.

In the owners manual there may be a discussion on this under charging.

In our PHEV NIRO the radiator fan and water cooling pump as well as the battery cooling fan will come on if the battery is being charged and the components doing the charging or the battery need heating/cooling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Similar experience here. 2020 PHEV. I get this same message. It started about a month ago and I've had the car since June. I thought it was a software bug in the remote communications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing. It began a month or so ago when I experimented with using the delayed climate control feature. (As I recall the car interior failed heat as expected.) Having turned off all of the dashboard EV settings about delayed climate, though, this message “Climate control is now running”, is still sent to me at the end of every charge.

I cannot find anything I am doing that can account for for the car thinking it should turn on climate control. If I had to guess, I'd say this is due to a bug on the Niro-EV software. It wouldn't be the first one ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had mine (2020 Niro EV) since Jan and same thing here. Just had the car at the dealer for the 15,000 service and they did a software update and that did not fix the issue. They advised they will need the car and get me a rental so they can replace the head unit but with the chip shortages getting a replacement head unit may take some time (on a side note my factory windshield is crack by a rock and replacement factory glass is 45-60 backordered)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that update, JSTNEMT. Remarkable that they would want to replace the head unit for something that looks more like a software problem. Definitely a big expense for Kia. When our car (also a 2020 Niro EV) was only 3 months old we took it in because the delayed charging wasn't activating. Likewise for something that looked like a software issue, our dealer gave us a loaner car for almost a week and replaced the head unit.

I hope you'll (please) keep us posted how your repair goes.

===

Postscript: (on another topic) after enough experimentation and reading advice on-line I was able to figure out a satisfactory way to set up a delayed charge. Satisfactory, but the car has an altogether bizarre user interface for this purpose. You have to lie to the car about differing costs for electrical power at certain times of day. I use this feature whenever I am planning a long trip and want the car charged to 100% shortly before departure, because (as I understand) leaving the batteries at 100% is hard on them. All of this makes me think Kia didn't put their 'A team' engineers onto the software programming for this car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for that update, JSTNEMT. Remarkable that they would want to replace the head unit for something that looks more like a software problem. Definitely a big expense for Kia. When our car (also a 2020 Niro EV) was only 3 months old we took it in because the delayed charging wasn't activating. Likewise for something that looked like a software issue, our dealer gave us a loaner car for almost a week and replaced the head unit.

I hope you'll (please) keep us posted how your repair goes.

===

Postscript: (on another topic) after enough experimentation and reading advice on-line I was able to figure out a satisfactory way to set up a delayed charge. Satisfactory, but the car has an altogether bizarre user interface for this purpose. You have to lie to the car about differing costs for electrical power at certain times of day. I use this feature whenever I am planning a long trip and want the car charged to 100% shortly before departure, because (as I understand) leaving the batteries at 100% is hard on them. All of this makes me think Kia didn't put their 'A team' engineers onto the software programming for this car.
the factory already masks off a protected buffer at the top and bottom of the battery. what we see as 100% is definitely not. same goes for 0%, there is a built in safety buffer. You should not feel guilty for using the car as it is intended. charge it up, and drive it. don't sweat it being at 100% overnight when you drive first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is great information, pcguy. Thanks. There is so little authoritative guidance from Kia on best practices for charging. (Or have I just not found it?) I have to figure that the guidance I turn up through Google may be out of date for a 2020 vehicle, even if it is only a few years old. May I ask what's the source of your information?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really appreciate having a partner to get to the bottom of this! The trouble with the stuff that Google turns up is that you can find something to support almost any conclusion you want. Which do you believe?

This article -- from Motortrend, March 2020, "Six Ways to Extend EV Battery Life" says, "Minimize time spent at 100 percent state of charge". And this "Seven Biggest Mistakes People Make with Their EV Battery That Will Cost You" from a Kia dealer in Jan. 2021 says, "Never let your battery sit at 100% charge.". These are kind of the opposite messages from your link.

On the other hand your link says not to sweat battery charging issues as long as you are happy with a 100K mile lifetime for your battery. Maybe the messages are not inconsistent. They just depend on your expectations. I want my Niro battery to still be doing well after 100K miles. A buddy of mine with a Tesla (now pretty old), has batteries that are doing MUCH better than that 100K target.

The business of battery head room beyond 100% being engineered into the design only tells us that the Kia engineers have put in enough margin of error to minimize expensive battery complaints during the 100K mile warranty interval. We can assume that to maximize sales they also want to advertise the highest mileage range they can. Wouldn't you suppose then, that they would have engineered in the smallest head room they can get away with?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really appreciate having a partner to get to the bottom of this! The trouble with the stuff that Google turns up is that you can find something to support almost any conclusion you want. Which do you believe?

This article -- from Motortrend, March 2020, "Six Ways to Extend EV Battery Life" says, "Minimize time spent at 100 percent state of charge". And this "Seven Biggest Mistakes People Make with Their EV Battery That Will Cost You" from a Kia dealer in Jan. 2021 says, "Never let your battery sit at 100% charge.". These are kind of the opposite messages from your link.

On the other hand your link says not to sweat battery charging issues as long as you are happy with a 100K mile lifetime for your battery. Maybe the messages are not inconsistent. They just depend on your expectations. I want my Niro battery to still be doing well after 100K miles. A buddy of mine with a Tesla (now pretty old), has batteries that are doing MUCH better than that 100K target.

The business of battery head room beyond 100% being engineered into the design only tells us that the Kia engineers have put in enough margin of error to minimize expensive battery complaints during the 100K mile warranty interval. We can assume that to maximize sales they also want to advertise the highest mileage range they can. Wouldn't you suppose then, that they would have engineered in the smallest head room they can get away with?
One thing you have to remember here, we are discussing the PHEV battery correct?
This battery when charged to a "100%" capacity only yields 26 miles rated range yes?
Lets say for example you reduced your charge maximum to 80%, now you have cut the already small range another 20%, this seems excessive and I can't help but wonder what good it would do.....

I could see someone making a case for it on a full EV with larger capacity, but there is a diminishing level of return when discussing the PHEV models. I can barely make it to work now on the 26 miles range, if I cut charging to 80% maximum that would fall short of making it there. I would also think the overall mileage I am able to get out of a gallon of gasoline would suffer as well. Currently I average72-75 mpg on a daily commute cycle that totals over 100 miles per day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We oughta become a comedy duo! 😁

Yes - it is the full blown EV model that I have been talking about. Pretty brilliant conversation, eh? It's when I am planning a 200+ mile trip that the fuss over getting the batteries charged to 100% shortly before departure comes up.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
Don't forget that some battery "experts" state that it's actually necessary to charge to 100% on occasion, as it balances the individual cells within the battery. I haven't seen a good consensus about how often this should be done, but about once every month or two seems to be what many say. I've had my Bolt for three months now, and it's been charged to 100% I believe three times: once on initial delivery, once before a long road trip, and once during the road trip before heading home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, everyone… New here… I just got my 2021 EV Premium a month ago, and I freakin’ LOVE this car! Never thought I could fall in live with a Kia, but ****… this thing is fantastic! Every once in awhile, though, I get an email notification from KIA Connect telling me that “Climate control is now running.” But my car is off, and it’s charging in the garage. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is this just an email bug? Or is there a feature I’m not understanding?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance, and I look forward to being a part of the forum!
Thank you for this post! I love my Kia Niro (it's a 2020 PHEV also) so much and just as surprised as you that I do!

I have had my car since the end of May. I also have started getting these "Climate Control is now running" email messages with nothing scheduled on my end. Also only within the last month or so.

Now that I know not to worry I will simply ignore those messages. Whew!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a little update. I still haven’t got the car in to the dealer (holiday’s / issues with available rental if they keep the car/ etc). On a side note, I stoped receiving the message that the climate control is running while the car is charging overnight. I haven’t received the message since 11/28 and my car charges every single night. So for the past 4 evenings I haven’t received the message????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts