Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KIA NIRO EV Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2022 NIRO EV Premium was less than a week old and had a total shutdown. When the on button was pushed it gave a message that the battery was disconnected. After contacting the dealer, it was towed in on a flatbed. After several days it was diagnosed as a miss-calibrated battery sensor. One of the five battery modules sent a temperature fault that shut down the system. They re-calibrated the system and hopefully this will not happen again. I was told that they had seen one previous instance of this on a 2021 model but it never reoccurred on that vehicle. I picked it up this week and everything seems fine. It makes me happy to drive.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
234 Posts
My 2022 NIRO EV Premium was less than a week old and had a total shutdown. When the on button was pushed it gave a message that the battery was disconnected. After contacting the dealer, it was towed in on a flatbed. After several days it was diagnosed as a miss-calibrated battery sensor. One of the five battery modules sent a temperature fault that shut down the system. They re-calibrated the system and hopefully this will not happen again. I was told that they had seen one previous instance of this on a 2021 model but it never reoccurred on that vehicle. I picked it up this week and everything seems fine. It makes me happy to drive.

Never had this issue in my 2019. I got it new and so far there have been no problems. My friend also purchased the Niro but the 2021 and he hasn’t had any battery problems.

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
53 Posts
Had my Niro EV for a month and that hasn't happened to me yet 🤞
-Barry

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sure have! I purchased a brand new 2022 Kia Niro EV on May 21, 2022 - with 5 miles on the vehicle. The first tow occurred on May 24, 2022 - and the second (final) tow occurred the next day May 25, 2022. The dashboard read Check Electrical System and totally shut down. It was pouring rain, 40 degrees, and I was on Interstate in the middle of a one lane construction zone. They have replaced the power control unit - which did NOTHING to fix the vehicle. Over a month later, my brand new vehicle is still sitting in the dealership on blocks - and does not run.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1. I hope you've gotten a paid-for loaner, and 2. This is pretty-much an outrage. Kia should have an ample supply of spare parts available in a warehouse in your country, for quick delivery. Not to mention that Kia mechanics should be well trained in maintenance on these cars as well as have excellent factory support, when needed.

My '22 EV has not had this issue, but the fact that it's happened to others is of great concern.

·
Registered
2022 KIA NIRO EV Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sure have! I purchased a brand new 2022 Kia Niro EV on May 21, 2022 - with 5 miles on the vehicle. The first tow occurred on May 24, 2022 - and the second (final) tow occurred the next day May 25, 2022. The dashboard read Check Electrical System and totally shut down. It was pouring rain, 40 degrees, and I was on Interstate in the middle of a one lane construction zone. They have replaced the power control unit - which did NOTHING to fix the vehicle. Over a month later, my brand new vehicle is still sitting in the dealership on blocks - and does not run.
Here is an update and maybe a solution. It has been towed into the shop a total of 4 times and spent 54 days there since purchase in October. The last time the dealer were going to replace the High Voltage battery but KIA technical support directed them to the battery management cable. Seems they had one or two others with the same problem and that was the solution. They got it overnight and replaced it. I have had it back a little over a month. Since then it has not caused any problem.

I don't trust the car and I did file a Lemon Law complaint with KIA. As a result KIA has agreed to buy it back including taxes, licenses and all fees including dealer markups. It is a slow process and I am still waiting for the turn-in to be scheduled.

Hope you have better luck.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
This is pretty-much an outrage. Kia should have an ample supply of spare parts available in a warehouse in your country, for quick delivery.
Not reasonable, and I doubt you'd find it with most other manufacturers, even domestic makes. There's simply been a huge issue with parts manufacturing for the past two years, and it's only now just starting to get better. Yeah, that's terrible what happened to your new car, but it's most likely an anomaly. Most new cars work just fine for years on end.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Statistics are nice but here's the thing: When a thing happens to you, the chance of it happening goes to 100%, and of course sometimes this is not fun.
I can offer some perspective with the Kia lemon law process, as I am still in the middle of it. The biggest tips I can give you, be calm, keep all your paperwork in order and most of all be patient. Each state has a different process, so be sure to check your states requirements and rules.
In my case, It started with sending via certified mail a "notice of repair" to both Kia corporate in California and my state attorneys office.
Once that was done, Kia responded directly and evaluated my situation. Once it was verified that my car definitely met the criteria for being a lemon, it was about 3 or 4 days and I was sent an offer letter to either initiate a buyback, or repair the vehicle (timeframe unknown) and get a check for compensation and keep the vehicle with all warranties still intact. It was about 10 days from the time they received the notice until Kia called me back.

Once I selected the buyback option, there were a lot of documents I had to submit for them, including the original sales paperwork, vehicle registration, payoff statement from the bank, and proof that all payments are up to date on the loan. They also required all repair orders associated with the defect.

Once your "packet" is completed and submitted by the Kia representative , it then goes to their "audit department" where it will be processed and eventually the loan will be paid off, the vehicle surrendered and any final payment check issued to you. This part of the process is currently taking 60 to 90 days according to Kia.

For me, this means I will need to continue making the monthly loan payments until that process closes out. I will however be reimbursed for these additional payments.
Depending on your transportation available to you, you may end up still making payments on the Kia and whatever new vehicle you purchase to replace it simultaneously for a few months, which is what I am facing.

If you elect to have Kia replace the vehicle with another like vehicle from Kia, that process could take MUCH longer. I was quoted up to a full calendar year for that to take place.

If you are considering doing this process while in possession of a dealer provided loaner / rental be aware, many dealers have policies that they will take loaner away from you once they find out you are doing the buyback option. Basically they will completely stop communicating with you and yank that loaner out from under you, regardless if your Kia is repaired or not. This is why I elected to purchase a new vehicle now so that I am ensured to have transportation. Not to mention, in the current market for new cars, there isn't much out there to buy, and who knows how long a factory order would take.

IF the dealer does pull the loaner away from you, it might be possible for Kia to somehow provide or pay for a loaner to bridge the gap, but I have no idea how that would work.
It would be best to engage the services of a lawyer to navigate this whole process, but I managed to do it on my own. A lawyer would like get the maximum out of Kia, but they come at a steep cost. I was quoted $5,000 and told that there wasn't enough leeway in my case to pay him, so I would have had to pay him up front, which is why I decided to go it alone. You might find attorneys more willing to work with you, and if the case goes to court in front of a judge, they will force Kia to pay your attorney fees, but if lawyer negotiates a settlement out of court, then you would likely be paying for them directly.

In situations where it isn't a clear cut example of a lemon vehicle, an attorney would be more likely to get Kia to buy your car back.
One more thing to add here, if you decide to purchase a new vehicle during this process as I did, if you have debt to income ratio issues with having a second new vehicle loan on your credit, most banks will work with you , if you provide them the documentation showing that your are having the vehicle bought back by Kia. Part of the process will involve Kia having you authorize them to communicate with your bank directly to verify the process has been initiated. During the overlap period you are obligated to keep the lemon vehicle fully insured and valid registration/tags and continue making the loan payment until the lemon is surrendered. If the old vehicle runs, they may request you to remove it from the dealer service department and store it on your property until the surrender date.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts