Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
What's your miles/kWh show? That's a great number. Right now I'm doing good to see 3.5 mi/kWh with my Bolt, although I did have a drive a few days ago that went over 4. For that range, you must be getting more like 4.5. Are the temps warm where you're located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your miles/kWh show? That's a great number. Right now I'm doing good to see 3.5 mi/kWh with my Bolt, although I did have a drive a few days ago that went over 4. For that range, you must be getting more like 4.5. Are the temps warm where you're located?
Last 4 days , range between 4.8 to 5.1 mi/kwh, the 4.8 was 111 miles for that day the other days were 22 to 39 miles daily. Only 2 to 3 highway miles in total. Highway miles are a killer. Yesterday was in the low 70's, all other days , the high ranged from mid 50's to mid 60's.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
Last 4 days , range between 4.8 to 5.1 mi/kwh, the 4.8 was 111 miles for that day the other days were 22 to 39 miles daily. Only 2 to 3 highway miles in total. Highway miles are a killer. Yesterday was in the low 70's, all other days , the high ranged from mid 50's to mid 60's.
Great numbers. Shows how much time of year can affect EV range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now that the weather got warmer (upper 70's to low 80's) I've been getting 5.7-5.8 m/kWh on my drive to work, 5.1 on the way home. Averaging near 5.4 m/kWh on my total trip of 62 miles. I forgot to look at the gauge when I left this morning but based on my miles driven + miles remaining I'm supposed to get ~ 264 miles on an 80% charge, which for some reason only shows up as 79% when I get in the car. Not sure what is happening there... Anyway, if one were to interpret a 100% charge based on the numbers I'm getting, that is looking like 330+ miles on a full charge (missing that extra 1% for some reason). I was pleasantly surprised to get the 5.7 m/kWh while using the a/c for the whole trip. Yesterday, I did the trip without a/c and got 5.8 so not a real hit to the range while using A/C.
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

If I were to keep my average up in the 5.4 range, that in theory could be 345 miles on a full charge. I would love to get it to 360 miles just to say I can get 150% of the EPA stated range but that may never happen. I'm not that great at hyper-mileing and I do have some driving on the highway (~17 miles on my round trip) that I'm not going to give up just for the sake of getting the best range.

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
46 Posts
That is great efficiency. What city are you in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that the weather got warmer (upper 70's to low 80's) I've been getting 5.7-5.8 m/kWh on my drive to work, 5.1 on the way home. Averaging near 5.4 m/kWh on my total trip of 62 miles. I forgot to look at the gauge when I left this morning but based on my miles driven + miles remaining I'm supposed to get ~ 264 miles on an 80% charge, which for some reason only shows up as 79% when I get in the car. Not sure what is happening there... Anyway, if one were to interpret a 100% charge based on the numbers I'm getting, that is looking like 330+ miles on a full charge (missing that extra 1% for some reason). I was pleasantly surprised to get the 5.7 m/kWh while using the a/c for the whole trip. Yesterday, I did the trip without a/c and got 5.8 so not a real hit to the range while using A/C.
View attachment 7539

If I were to keep my average up in the 5.4 range, that in theory could be 345 miles on a full charge. I would love to get it to 360 miles just to say I can get 150% of the EPA stated range but that may never happen. I'm not that great at hyper-mileing and I do have some driving on the highway (~17 miles on my round trip) that I'm not going to give up just for the sake of getting the best range.
👍good driving - it''s ok to charge it to 100% on a level 2 charger, the battery has unusable hidden capacity beyond the 64 kwh. It's only on the fast chargers (DC) that you must keep it 80% or below , but that is to protect the battery from overheating. I only charge to 70% myself on a fast charger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
277 miles @ 80% charge. Thats ~346 miles @ 100%. If I could get better efficiency on my way home I think I could get to my goal of 360 miles on a full charge but that would require me to avoid the highway which would add an additional 20 minutes on my already hour long trip. And that is an unfortunately frustrating 20 minutes dealing with stop and go traffic during rush hour. I'm thinking my mental sanity is more important. :)

Tire Font Gadget Screenshot Automotive tire

·
Registered
38 Posts
286 @ 80% this morning. Just drove in to work at 6.2 m/kWh average. Pretty much perfect conditions. Not sure if I'll ever beat that record, but its looking like a theoretical 360 miles @ 100% is in the cards. Now I'm wondering if I can get 300 @ 80%. Probably depends on my driving conditions on the way home today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
277 miles @ 80% charge. Thats ~346 miles @ 100%. If I could get better efficiency on my way home I think I could get to my goa360 miles on a full charge but that would require me to avoid the highway which would add an additional 20 minutes on my already hour long trip. And that is an unfortunately frustrating 20 minutes dealing with stop and go traffic during rush hour. I'm thinking my mental sanity is more important. :)

View attachment 7552
Current range at 349 miles
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Some oberservations:
1. Avoid highway speeds if possible. Often a more fuel efficient route will only cost you a few minutes.
2. Minimize usage of HVAC.
3. Free wheel (coast) as much as possible.
4. Hold the mode button at startup to get ECO+ mode.
5. The paddles are important. We can get into a more detail later, but the main point is that you want to use your juice judiciously.
In a perfect world, you would get to crusing speed , maintain it and then coast to every stop. Obviously the world is not perfect so compensate for the world's imperfections, you need to anticipate. Anticipation requires attentive driving. It's akin to being the Wayne Gretsky of ECO driving. Red lights, stop signs, road construction, etc., and anticipating when other drivers will pull out in front of you. Your mission is to use regenerative braking over the footbreak and to minimize the usage of regenerative braking. In other words, better attentive driving will allow you to coast more often to a stop.
7. A quick comment about acceleration. I'm not saying to floor it , but you do not have to baby the acceleration pedal to get to your cruising speed. The difference is not significance in the big picture
5. More about paddles, from a dead stop, set the regenerative braking set to 0. That will avoid using regeneration braking as you start. As soon you start moving, and while keeping pressure on the pedal, then turn regenerative braking to your preferred settiing. For crusing, I prefer the 1 setting. That allows me to coast by just feather touching the pedal. In traffic, I prefer the 2 setting, that helps me avoid using the foot brake in stop and go traffic. I generally recommend using the 3 setting while going a deep down hill or coming to a stop at a traffic light or stop sign, but not for cruising. You could also use it in really slow moving stop and go traffic to avoid panic pedal stops.
8. I am interested in hearing your tips and tricks as well to improve range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Current range at 349 miles View attachment 7587

Some oberservations:
1. Avoid highway speeds if possible. Often a more fuel efficient route will only cost you a few minutes.
2. Minimize usage of HVAC.
3. Free wheel (coast) as much as possible.
4. Hold the mode button at startup to get ECO+ mode.
5. The paddles are important. We can get into a more detail later, but the main point is that you want to use your juice judiciously.
In a perfect world, you would get to crusing speed , maintain it and then coast to every stop. Obviously the world is not perfect so compensate for the world's imperfections, you need to anticipate. Anticipation requires attentive driving. It's akin to being the Wayne Gretsky of ECO driving. Red lights, stop signs, road construction, etc., and anticipating when other drivers will pull out in front of you. Your mission is to use regenerative braking over the footbreak and to minimize the usage of regenerative braking. In other words, better attentive driving will allow you to coast more often to a stop.
7. A quick comment about acceleration. I'm not saying to floor it , but you do not have to baby the acceleration pedal to get to your cruising speed. The difference is not significance in the big picture
5. More about paddles, from a dead stop, set the regenerative braking set to 0. That will avoid using regeneration braking as you start. As soon you start moving, and while keeping pressure on the pedal, then turn regenerative braking to your preferred settiing. For crusing, I prefer the 1 setting. That allows me to coast by just feather touching the pedal. In traffic, I prefer the 2 setting, that helps me avoid using the foot brake in stop and go traffic. I generally recommend using the 3 setting while going a deep down hill or coming to a stop at a traffic light or stop sign, but not for cruising. You could also use it in really slow moving stop and go traffic to avoid panic pedal stops.
8. I am interested in hearing your tips and tricks as well to improve range.
Nice, my best so far is this:
Tire Font Gadget Screenshot Multimedia

Which, according to a mathematical estimate is over 360 miles @ 100%. I still haven't charged to 100% since the car was new. I will likely only charge to 100% if I am planning a long trip.

The only tips I can really give people is

1) The keep your tires well inflated (I keep mine at 44psi cold and keep an eye out for them to not go over 50psi while driving). If I had easy access to nitrogen filling, I would do that so I could keep a steady 45psi at any temperature.

2) Coast as much as possible. I don't keep any regen on when driving because I want to turn off the cruise control and coast for as long as I can. This car coasts incredibly well, BTW.

3) Use "auto" regen braking (again at 0) and let the car decide when to slow you down. However, if I'm coming in a bit hot to a stop light, I'll kick in some regen on my own to help slow me down so I NEVER use the friction brakes. That's a huge factor. Friction brakes are the enemy of efficiency. Use them for emergencies or slow speed maneuvering.

4) keep that A/C or heat at a minimum. Even in mid 80-90 degree weather I'm running my A/C at 75 degrees with the fan speed at 1, maybe 2 if necessary. Seat cooler is on as that is more efficient than running the A/C compressor more. Opening your windows only leads to efficiency loss. I haven't had to use heat yet, but I'm guessing that I will be frugal with that as well. Mostly seat heater and steering wheel heater. Cabin heat will likely be scavenged by the heat pump.

5) Don't drive like you are in a rush. Drive like you have nowhere to be. No rush to get anywhere. At worst you lose 3-5 minutes of time by taking the easy attitude to driving, but having that "Go, Go, Go!" attitude will destroy efficiency. I, admittedly, left late to get to a funeral and had to "rush" to get there. My efficiency was down 20-25% on that trip vs my regular relaxed pace. I may have arrived at my destination 1-2 minutes faster, but honestly it wouldn't have made a difference. I was already late.

I mean, that's all I really do. I don't draft semi-trucks or pull in to parking lots to drive in circles at lights to keep my momentum going. It's just simple, relaxing driving with efficient use of my electricity for the accessories. It works for me, but if I had passengers or my dog in the back, I would change how I use my A/C so the rest of teh cabin is a comfortable place to be in. But just for me, I can rough it in the name of efficiency.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts