Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I charge my PHEV overnight (10-15 hrs) sometimes the display indicates 24 miles of charge and other times 26 miles. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the difference. What's with that? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
If your HVAC is turned on, you have 24 estimated miles. If you turn the HVAC off, it immediately jumps to 26 miles. It does not (unfortunately) have the ability to adapt based on recent driving, so it will always be 24/26 miles with a full battery. Your gas+EV range does estimate like that, but only based on the most recent gas usage. If your range is reading 15 miles with HVAC off, it will drop one mile if you turn HVAC back on again. It's a fairly simple scale they seem to use for the calculation.

Real world I usually get about 30 miles of EV range, unless I hop onto the freeway and drive 65+ MPH. My personal best has been 34 miles with HVAC on. But even in winter I still get about the same range, mostly because the engine is running for cabin heat and that adds a slight amount of charge back into the battery while it's running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a Chevy Bolt for three years (considering a Niro PHEV at my Bolt lease-end). I'm not sure if the Niro is like most EVs. but the estimated range is based on average use over the previous X miles (may be different for each make of EV). For instance, my first EV was a Chevy Spark EV that I owned in CA. The last four miles to my house was fairly steep up-hill, and after parking and charging overnight, I was greeted with an estimated range of only about 70% of the published range. On the other hand, if the last 10 miles of a trip is downhill and your speeds were moderate, you may show 125% - 150% of published range. Factors such as speed, altitude change outside temperature, use of heating and air-conditioning all go into the range estimate.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
I've had a Chevy Bolt for three years (considering a Niro PHEV at my Bolt lease-end). I'm not sure if the Niro is like most EVs. but the estimated range is based on average use over the previous X miles (may be different for each make of EV). For instance, my first EV was a Chevy Spark EV that I owned in CA. The last four miles to my house was fairly steep up-hill, and after parking and charging overnight, I was greeted with an estimated range of only about 70% of the published range. On the other hand, if the last 10 miles of a trip is downhill and your speeds were moderate, you may show 125% - 150% of published range. Factors such as speed, altitude change outside temperature, use of heating and air-conditioning all go into the range estimate.

Ron
At least with the Niro PHEV, a fully charged battery will always show 24/26 miles of range, regardless of recent driving. But it does adjust while driving based on the state of charge remaining. Just this morning I made a 13.5 mile trip to a local store, starting with 24 miles shown since the HVAC was on. This involved climbing to the top of my hill, some reasonably level driving, down a long hill that gives 2 miles of regen back, then basically reversing course. So I had to climb the same hill that gave me the regen range, wiping it out and taking more. I pulled into the garage with 15 miles remaining, so I would have gotten at least 28.5 miles of range. But I know continuing with the same type of driving it would drop slower than the distance traveled, and I would have 30-32 miles of EV range. But once it's fully charged, it will again say 24 miles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your HVAC is turned on, you have 24 estimated miles. If you turn the HVAC off, it immediately jumps to 26 miles. It does not (unfortunately) have the ability to adapt based on recent driving, so it will always be 24/26 miles with a full battery. Your gas+EV range does estimate like that, but only based on the most recent gas usage. If your range is reading 15 miles with HVAC off, it will drop one mile if you turn HVAC back on again. It's a fairly simple scale they seem to use for the calculation.

Real world I usually get about 30 miles of EV range, unless I hop onto the freeway and drive 65+ MPH. My personal best has been 34 miles with HVAC on. But even in winter I still get about the same range, mostly because the engine is running for cabin heat and that adds a slight amount of charge back into the battery while it's running.
Alrighty then, its the HVAC! Makes sense to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got 26 indicated only the first few times I charged, now it says 22-24 as soon as I unplug and start driving. I generally have the fan on, but not A/C. 2019 Kia Niro PHEV purchased end of November 2019.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got 26 indicated only the first few times I charged, now it says 22-24 as soon as I unplug and start driving. I generally have the fan on, but not A/C. 2019 Kia Niro PHEV purchased end of November 2019.
This is a slightly complicated topic, because there are a few different things going on here. The easiest way to begin to get your head around this is to charge your car full, turn the car on, and turn off the climate/fan, and then check the electric range: it should say 26 miles.

Now turn the fan on low, and (if your 2019 PHEV is like my 2018 PHEV), the electric range will instantly drop from 26 to 24.

One of the complicating factors is that on many (maybe all?) Niros, when you turn the fan on, the AC also comes on, but the LED indicator for the AC does not light up on the dashboard, even though the AC is running. There have been several bitter complaints on other discussions on this forum about the confusing climate system.

In the case of my car, I can overcome that annoying behavior by hitting first the fan button, then the AC button (I can tell the AC was on before I hit the button because the air is too cool for it to be just the fan): hitting the AC button once turns on the LED. Then I hit it a second time and the AC light AND the AC goes off (after a few minutes, the air stops being "too cool": I'm just using the fan to move air around, with no AC).

It's been a while since I thought about this and I might be mistaken, but I think that even when I'm just running the fan, my indicated electric range on a full charge registers 24, not 26. I consider this to be a defect in the Niro's computer logic, but they got so much other stuff right that I can't really complain about it.

Others have said that my trick for toggling the AC on and then off didn't work for them, so YMMV.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The sure fix for the AC issue is to turn off the ADS - auto defog system. This is what uses the AC without the light on. Press and hold the front defrost button until the dialog comes up with the option to turn it off. This option stays sticky until changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I charge my PHEV overnight (10-15 hrs) sometimes the display indicates 24 miles of charge and other times 26 miles. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the difference. What's with that? :unsure:
Did you charge-it on 220 volts or 110 Volts? It would probably gave a different reading!?

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
If the fan is on, your HVAC is on. There is no fan only function, which I believe is a mistake. That's why it doesn't show 26 miles. Turn the HVAC system completely off, and it will show 26 again.

·
Super Moderator
576 Posts
Same thing for us in the north country!! 41km full battery, open up any ventilation goes down to 38km... putt it off, goes back to 41.. (what's funny, it's when it reach 0km with ventilation, it wont give you 3 km more.. hahaha) :D

·
Super Moderator
576 Posts
Did you charge-it on 220 volts or 110 Volts? It would probably gave a different reading!?
@Claude B, some new PHEV gets the same symptom with this problem.. but after a couple of day's it resolves by it self! (y)

·
Registered
448 Posts
The sure fix for the AC issue is to turn off the ADS - auto defog system. This is what uses the AC without the light on. Press and hold the front defrost button until the dialog comes up with the option to turn it off. This option stays sticky until changed.
Yes, but what I've been told is that it's good to run your AC periodically in order to keep the seals from drying out and cracking and losing all of the refrigerant gas. There is a lubricant mixed with the refrigerant and running the AC causes that to circulate. The last guy who inspected my home AC system mentioned that I should try to run it a few times over the winter for this same reason.

Many newer cars automatically turn on the AC when you hit the defroster. Most older cars that I've owned did not do that, which meant that the AC didn't run all winter, and the AC always died on those cars (or was dead before I owned them). The Niro is different from other newer cars I've experienced in that it runs the AC even when the defroster is not on. Turning off the ADS means that you're less likely to run the AC periodically.

If the fan is on, your HVAC is on. There is no fan only function, which I believe is a mistake. That's why it doesn't show 26 miles. Turn the HVAC system completely off, and it will show 26 again.
So have you tried my trick of turning on the Fan, then turning on the AC, then turning off the AC? And that didn't work for you? If so, that suggests that the 2019 is different from the 2018 PHEV in this respect.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
So have you tried my trick of turning on the Fan, then turning on the AC, then turning off the AC? And that didn't work for you? If so, that suggests that the 2019 is different from the 2018 PHEV in this respect.
I tried, but could never get it to act as if the HVAC was disabled. Range never went back up indicating HVAC was off. I do think there's a chance they made a change for '19. But since I usually get more like 30-34 miles, I'm not overly concerned with it.

But I am waiting for Kia to announce more details on their upcoming dedicated EV platform. It should be available about when my lease is up, and if this car continues to treat me as well as it has, it will certainly be on my next car radar.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I tried, but could never get it to act as if the HVAC was disabled. Range never went back up indicating HVAC was off. I do think there's a chance they made a change for '19. But since I usually get more like 30-34 miles, I'm not overly concerned with it.

But I am waiting for Kia to announce more details on their upcoming dedicated EV platform. It should be available about when my lease is up, and if this car continues to treat me as well as it has, it will certainly be on my next car radar.
If you were looking for the EV range to go up, that's not a good way to reach a conclusion about whether it's successful in turning off the AC or not, because I think the computer is really just looking at whether the fan is on or not (bad logic, but that's what they seem to be doing). I'm pretty sure my "indicated" EV range drops when only the fan is on.

With a conventional ICE powered car, we could hear the RPMs drop when the AC compressor kicked on: can't do that with a Niro because it's an electric AC system. So it's hard to know if the AC is on or not.

My advice: wait for a hot day, turn the fan on, wait to feel the air coming out of the vent that is too cool to be explained by just a fan, and then toggle the AC on (so that the LED lights up) and then Off (so that the AC LED goes off). Wait a few minutes after that. With my 2018, this always results in the temp of the air coming out of the vent warming up a couple of minutes after I toggled off the AC.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
I don't trust the A/C light on the dash control. I went up to my daughter's this afternoon, and it wasn't on while cold air was coming out of the vents. My garage is close to 90F inside (it was 93 here yesterday), and today reached the reached 87F outside according to my weather station. So the A/C was absolutely running, but the light wasn't on. Apparently when in Auto mode that light is not an indicator of the actual status of the A/C system.

·
Registered
448 Posts
So I almost never hit the "Auto/Climate" button except when the car is unbearably hot: for me, that button turns on max cooling.

What I do instead is I hit the fan button. And the AC comes on: when outside air temp is as hot as you are describing, and when you've dialed in a desired cabin temp of upper 60s or low 70s, it's easy to recognize that the AC is on because the air coming out of the vent is too cool to not have been air conditioned.

When I hit the fan button, the AC light does not come on, even though the AC is clearly on (based on the temperature coming out of the vents). But after I hit the fan button, if I touch the AC button, then the AC light does come on. And if I hit it a second time, then the AC light goes off. And a few minutes after that, the air coming out of the vents no longer feels like it has been cooled by air conditioning. It just feels a little cooler than ambient air (because the fan is moving the air and that has a cooling effect of its own).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts